Need an amp for my JVC Victor DX1000 Headphones
May 14, 2012 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
I prefer a warm and spacious sound, preserving large sound staging qualities in whatever amp I get is vital, it can't be anything but exceptional in sound staging qualities.  I was recommended the Bottlehead with a speedball upgrade but I've never heard it before so I am not sure what to think of it. 

any recommendations at any price range is appreciated, cheaper is preferred but want to learn as much as I can about the more spacious amplifiers.

May 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 20
Trafomator Head One is more soundstage, warmth compared to all the solid states I tried so maybe you are after a tube amplifier :)

May 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 20
Personally i find the HA-160 soundstage impressive, warm sound (some people even compare it to tubes) if you have a place where you can demo, i recommend it. 

May 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 20
I've never heard the THO but have extensive experience with the Burson HA160, I am not sure its qualities are well suited for the DX1000.  I really feel like I am doomed to shell out a few grand for a one of the big boy toy amps.  Outside of the Betta22, I can't think of anything else that would even come close to doing this headphone justice. 

May 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 20
I got one coming soon from another member here.  Will try with a Little Dot MK6+ with 5998 and ECC35 and a Eximus DP-1.  If it any similar like my D7000 it will like the DP-1 a lot. 

May 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 20
Its softer and more forgiving than the D7K, also a bigger more spacious sound with a warmer low end.  This is a shame, I don't think I will ever find a reasonably priced amp that will suit this.  The difference from using something like the Valhalla to using just my Hisound V dap is significant when it comes to air and separation qualities.  The V is just much better, I dont recall even the HA160 having staging qualities good enough for this and I aint shelling out over a grand for a Beta22 lol

*SIGHHHHHHHHHHHH

May 15, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 20
My Audio GD c-2.1 do a really good job on it as well. It´s a tad on the warm side but just a tad with good soundstaging.

GHP is also really nice on it. It´s the most "serious" on that one but you seemed to be after MOAR DX 1000. Doesn´t pull any audiophile tricks. I don´t believe it´s that hard to drive but
perhaps hard to find the right synergy. It sound great out of my onkyo AV receiver even. However I am not really listening to detail with this. It´s all about enjoying the music :)

May 16, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 20
You should be able to get a used Beta22, in 2 channel form with Sigma22 and a simple casing, for $600-$700.
Surprisingly for a solid state amp, Beta22 is not cold or trebly (it is not as warm as most tube amps, of course). TO my ears, Beta22 offers a spacious soundstage, along with pinpoint imaging and excellent detailing.

May 16, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 20
Its a strong possibility, but my luck with Amplifiers is near 0% as they almost always randomly explode or stop working after a few weeks.  My Butte just stopped working due to a faulty psu.  While I found the Buttes Stage sufficient in depth, it was not airy at all and very much like a solid state amp and most of the expensive amplifiers.  Extremely clear, very precise.  Thats the problem with the DX1000s, the more precise the amp, the more the sound staging is totally ruined.  It needs air, extremely spacious, lots of room between instruments and I am willing to sacrifice clarity for SS needs.  Thing is, as I said...the Beta22 is really the only amp I can think of that can get the job done.  The HA160, Asgard and similar amps known for a nice stage are not really sufficient, my Studio V bests all of them in sound staging air and separation. 

I am finding it an impossible task to beat the Studio V.  Whiles its amazing all around, I know the DX1K to be capable of more clarity.  Lol...finding an amp that sounds huge and is clear enough to work with the DX1000 is a battle I am losing :[   I feel like Spiderman trying to fight Galactus :p

May 16, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
The HA160, Asgard and similar amps known for a nice stage are not really sufficient, my Studio V bests all of them in sound staging air and separation. 

I am finding it an impossible task to beat the Studio V.  Whiles its amazing all around, I know the DX1K to be capable of more clarity.  Lol...finding an amp that sounds huge and is clear enough to work with the DX1000 is a battle I am losing :[   I feel like Spiderman trying to fight Galactus :p

Wow, im curious if such soundstage monster exist. 
basshead.gif

May 16, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
Quote:
The HA160, Asgard and similar amps known for a nice stage are not really sufficient, my Studio V bests all of them in sound staging air and separation. 

Wow, im curious if such soundstage monster exist. 
basshead.gif

It does, the Beta22 should really do the larger sounding headphones justice.  Its just that i am super picky.  I hate neutral or flat sound, pretty much all of the most expensive amps are analytical in nature, I can't name one warm sounding hifi amplifier in that price tier.  Its a loosing battle, the HA160 is warmish on the low end, but its $400 used 800 or so new? I've used it a lot, but never with the DX1000 so I am going purely off of what I recall about it.  I remember good height and width, good depth but not a lot of separation or that effortless airy quality.  The Butte has great depth, good width but not so good in the height or airy sense.  The Asgard is a great all arounder but I can safely say my Studio V is better in all sound staging qualities and just as clear, so thats out.  That really leaves me with almost nothing to work with and I'd have to settle for less clarity and a warm end in a mid tier amp and hope it has grand sound staging.  

Bah, where is galactus when you need him?

May 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 20
Just got these today and after 30 mins of listening the bass really stand out on this one.  Using my DP-1, the DX-1k sounds pretty good.  Similar sound signature to my D7k.  It has better bass response.  Tighter and it just more of it.  Tthe highs in the D7k are crispier and clearer.  Mids are about the same.  About soundstage I must say the D7k wins, but not by much.  Have not try on the Little Dot MK6 yet.  Overall a I like it.  Maybe if after a week I like it more than the D7k it will go on sale.  Cant afford to have two top closed phone.

May 20, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #14 of 20
What areas of soundstaging do your ears pick up on that sound superior to the jvc?  I can give wideness the trophy in that respect, but height and broadness, especially with vocals seem larger and more coherent, stage depth and overall imaging to my ears seemed better in the Dx1000 but not by that much.   Coherency is a huge factor for me, something about the presentation just does it for me, something the Denon cant and ends up sounding a bit artificial.  I would not call the highs on the D7K better, just a little more prominent and slightly brighter, different, but not better.  The DX1000 highs are super silky and relaxing to my ears.

Funny how we all hear differently :)

May 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 20
Using the MK6 and the JVC it is what I expected, very similar to when I was using the D7k and the MK6.  It just doesnt sound better than the DP-1.  The tightness of the bass is jut not there anymore.  Details get lost and more mellow or "slow" sounding.  Soundstage suffers too.  Gotta try with other tubes in future too lazy now.  With this i believe that this is a very sensitive phone.  And that it like SS better than tube.  Like Cheater said this one would sing with the B22 or other good SS amp. Darkstar anyone?

On another note is it me or has anyone notice that when no sound is on the JVC it have this sea shell effect?  I dont hear this with other closed cans.  I do notice that it seal better than the D7k but not completely. 

All of this is on my first day with the JVC, maybe when I get to hear it more it grows on me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back