Need headphone amp capable of driving 50 Ω earbuds at up to 5 V rms / 20 V peak (1% duty cycle)
Nov 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rogare

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone amp capable of driving 50 Ω earbuds at up to 5 V rms / 20 V peak (1% duty cycle).  Any recommendations would be terrific.  It doesn't need to incredibly high fidelity—I'm aiming for the low hundreds of $, if possible.

Thanks for reading!

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
I'm looking for a headphone amp capable of driving 50 Ω earbuds at up to 5 V rms / 20 V peak (1% duty cycle).  Any recommendations would be terrific.  It doesn't need to incredibly high fidelity—I'm aiming for the low hundreds of $, if possible.

Thanks for reading!

Interesting. Can I ask what you are trying to achieve by putting 20V into 50ohm earbuds? Blow up your ears, the earbuds or both?

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #4 of 8
20V into 50 ohms is 8 Watts. I doubt that there are any earbuds that are rated to take more than 1 Watt. I suggest you save your money and connect the buds directly to a speaker output on a speaker amplifier. An amp that is around 60 Watts into 8 Ohms should be able to give 8 Watts into 50...

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the reply.  I'll look into speaker amplifiers.  (The earbuds being used are specially for high levels—the specs in my original post are from their data sheet.)

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 8
I don't know any headphone amp that can generate 8 Watts into a 50 ohm load. I would be interested to know if one is out there. The amp I am using right now is rated at 4.5 Watts into 50 Ohms and it is very powerful. I only use a tiny fraction of that. The headphones I am using, Q701 are only rated to take 0.2 Watts.

This Bryston http://bryston.com/PDF/brochures/BHA1_BROCHURE.pdf is considered to be a powerful headphone amplifier and it is rated 4 volts into 32 ohms (500 mW) at 001% THD + N at 20-20K

By the way, what earbuds are you talking about?

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the link, much appreciated.  It might be higher end than I need, but I can take a closer look.

(They're actually called insert earphones—I mistyped above—and here's a link.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back