Need help buying headphones for TV watching
Oct 6, 2010 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mobot

New Head-Fier
I haven't been to the forum in forever and I did a quick search before making this thread, but the first page of results was all several years old. Since technology changes a lot over the years, I thought I'd start a fresh thread to see if I got some new feedback.

I want to buy some headphones for my husband to use at night (much like the poster who made a thread about getting phones for their dad to use for tv watching at night). I was thinking of wireless, but then I read all the negative comments about static, etc.

So, is wireless that bad of an idea?
He uses headphones for playing a game on the computer, too, but he's gone through a couple pairs since I've known him (I had no idea those expensive headphones could fall apart so much). I don't know if I should kill two birds with one stone and get something he can use for both? If not, no biggie.

My main concern is headphones for the TV because it's loud and I can hear it from the next room late at night and some of these new blu rays we got have super loud menus so even if you turn it down for the episode as soon as it goes to the menu it blasts (ie. Fringe, Smallville season 9).

If you can help me out, I'd really appreciate it! His birthday is later this month so I figured now would be a good time to investigate. Thanks.

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 4
What's your budget?

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 4
IMO wireless is the way to go. I can recommend Sennheiser because that's what I use, the RS-140. The Sennheiser are Radio not inferred so the static thing is a non issue. Heres a link to the Senn website, don't pay too much attention to the prices, they are discounted. Look at Amazon.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headphones_wireless-headphones_home

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the responses. My husband just informed me that he owns a cheap (like $20) pair of wireless headphones he hasn't unpacked yet (we just moved) that are intended for computer use, but he said will work with our TV if he hooks up the TV to the computer. I looked at amazon like suggested. I had no idea they were that expensive. I was thinking maybe $60 price range, as that was the price of one of his pairs of headphones, but all these are $100+ pretty much. So I guess that's the end of that, I'll let him try out his cheap headphones and see how that works.

Thanks again for the input, though. I may need to look back into it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back