Need help (ipod touch + DAC/Amp?)
Jul 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

13th

New Head-Fier
Hi to all! Could you please recommend a portable DAC/Amp or DAC + Amp for my Ipod Touch 4, which will ensure the BEST sound. Headphones : Logitech UE900, Sony mdr-ex1000 (UM Merlin, Westone 5 in plans) Musical preferences : ambient, classical music, metal. Budget : 700-800$

Jul 21, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi to all! Could you please recommend a portable DAC/Amp or DAC + Amp for my Ipod Touch 5, which will ensure the BEST sound. Headphones : Logitech UE900, Sony mdr-ex1000 (UM Merlin, Westone 5 in plans) Musical preferences : ambient, classical music, metal. Budget : 700-800$

Tough question to answer, it depends your preference for the amp, for example if you like the RSA sound (Ray Samuels Audio), he has "The Predator" and "The Intruder" that are amp/dac combo. HeadAmp has also th pico amp/dac which is quite good. Note that dac on those units are for connecting to a USB port on a computer. You can also move to the Cypher Labs dac paired with an amp ( this one uses the idevice connectivity). If you use the line out, you can connect a 30-pin lod to a single-end connector to the amp or in the case of the Cyper labs dac use their special 30 pin connector to the USB port on the dac. Look around the forums on this site lots of knowledgeable members with reported experience. :)

By the way if you go with the Cypher labs solution, this might run well above your price range depending on the amp you wanna use to pair it with it. The cypher labs -db close to 700$, one site has it in special for 628$ us.

Jul 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 6
musicheaven, thanks! I'm a beginner and it will be my first DAC/amplifier. I have no opportunity to listen the amplifier before purchase. I hope only for councils of professionals. In a sound I appreciate balance, a big scene, high resolution and detalisation.

Jul 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 6
RSA and Pico Amp/Dac are pretty safe as far as great sound, I have the Intruder and that is my favorite amp, I also have the Pico slim from HeadAmp great for iems. I use imod as my music source that is equivalent to an iPod video 5th gen enhanced for better sound but will eventually move to the AK120 as a source. I still keep my two amps for different situations and am very happy with them. The better sound will most likely come from a better dap like the AK100 or AK120 or from other vendors. The touch is good but not a great dap, something you may want to move away from in the future.

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 6
If you can afford an ak120 then to me that's the best dap one can buy for the money, if not the ak100 isn't bad either. I eventually want to stay away from iPods just because they are not the best daps sound quality wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back