Need help on a pair of portable headphones for commuting and work for $400 or less
Jul 23, 2015 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TechMechanik

Formerly known as Faustous
I am going to try and be as precise and articulate as I can. :)

Price: $400 or less

I am looking for a pair of portable headphones for commuting and work.
Qualities:
  • Portable - prefer to rotate flat to fit in a nice case
  • Bass - must be present more than the Sennheiser Momentum 1 or 2, but less than the Vmoda M-100
  • Genres - EDM, Classic Rock (Pink Floyd, Rush, The Who), Metal (Motorhead, Metallica, FFDP), Jazz

I have previously owned the following:

• Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro - Still own
  • Sennheiser Momentum on-ear - son has these
  • Sennheiser Momentum around/over-ear - Enjoyed the sound, but the "veil" is getting to me.
  • Sennheiser Momentum AEBT (Momentum 2 Bluetooth) - Issues with Bluetooth in the city and my job doesn't allow me to use Bluetooth. And again, the "veil". Soundstage was a bit compressed.
  • Sennheiser Momentum HD598 - Open headphones, use them for gaming
  • Grado SR80 - Open headphones, loved them. Sold them years ago... don't remember why
  • Vmoda M-100 - XL pads helped the fit, but the clamping made my head hurt with my glasses. Overemphasized bass was not good for most genres.
  • Vsonic GR07 - These were very nice, but my ears can't handle in ear anymore (hurts)
  • Shure SE215 - Uncomfortable for me to wear (was the beginning of my ears not being able to do in ear)
  • Logitech UE6000 - Plastic, creaky. Great sound for the price. Sold them for more than I paid :wink:
  • Logitech UE900 - Amazing sound stage. I absolutely loved these and hated to sell them. See in ear issues above
  • Various in-ears

I loved the sound on the Grado's and would love a mix of the Grado's and the Beyer's.

I recently sold most of my headphones off to bring my collection down to a gaming pair and a portable pair.
I bought the NAD Viso HP50 from Amazon, which came in today. But, because of a third party seller screwup. I am returning them (Ordered new, received used with scratches and missing cable).

The soundstage was wonderful. All of the reviews were spot on. I wish they had more sub-bass, but was happy with the highs and mids that I could be convinced to overlook those. I loved the layflat in the bag ability.
I was NOT happy with the creaky plastic housing and that the lay flat ability is spring loaded (can't get them to stay flat when around the neck).

So my choices are:
  • Order a new pair of NAD Viso GP50
  • Get the Oppo PM-3
  • Get the Bang and Olafson Beoplay H6 - (I LOVE the 3rd party case you can get and the styling)
  • Get the Bowers and Wilkens P7
  • ???

I do lean towards a more refined look (Momentums, Beoplay H6) that looks good with a suit.

I know a few people have said that the Mr Speakers Mad Dog is the way to go, but the look... I grew up in the 70's and really don't want to go back, hehe :wink:

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 6
The PM-3 is the current limelight getter so I'm tempted to suggest those; but you say you want more bass than the PM-3 likely has to offer. I love them and am currently trying not to buy them myself - I'm like an alcoholic having to run a wine shop.

The P7 is excellent but does not fold flat, and the H6 was a bit bassy for me (I prefer the H2) but may suit you.

Maybe look at the KEF M500 as well.

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 6
I currently have a PM-3 demo unit, and it is very nice. Sound-wise, I find myself wanting more bass (but I've also been enjoying a V-Moda M-100 lately), but everything else is excellent. Great details, fantastic midrange and treble, and it runs well from my iPhone as well as an amp. Comfort is pretty good (I have a fairly large head). As with most closed models I've tried, I need breaks every so often to at least cool off my ears. I also don't know how well broken in the headband on these are, so I can't comment on how the clamping force is BNIB.

Oh, I should also note that I can't wear these comfortably around my neck. That could be me, but my neck gets clamped trying to wear them this way.

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 6
I ordered a pair of the B&O Beoplay H6, they will be here on Saturday. I am going to wait to return the HP50 until I do an A/B of the two.

Thanks for the KEF M500 suggestion. I will look into those now.
I do love the look of the P7 (Though I wish the branding wasn't as bold), going to go to the Apple store today to check them out.

Superjawes: how do feel the bass is in comparision to the V-Moda?

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 6
Superjawes: how do feel the bass is in comparision to the V-Moda?
PM-3 to M-100? M-100 wins hands down...well, it's still really, really strong, which is why the M-100 is not necessarily a good recommendation for general music. Still, it's very clean, and has a much better impact than the PM-3. The PM-3 sounds good across the entire range, I was just craving more on the low end.

And I'll qualify this again by saying that I am still in the honeymoon period on my M-100. I know that kicking that much bass into a track isn't necessarily "good", but it's still new to me (and I'm loving it).

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #6 of 6
As you are looking for a neutral, articulate sound with a strong bass, and appreciate discreet styling, I would suggest the Beyer T51p. Any cash left over should then be invested in a suitable amp (Cayin C5 will do the trick).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back