Need help picking a Setup under $150 or $300
Sep 24, 2014 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Kordz

New Head-Fier
Hi, im kinda new to the hobby and lately i just felt like i need a new set of headphones, im under tight budget tho as the title suggest.. im mainly going to use it on my android phone and on my pc. im looking at the Sennheiser 4xx series, particularly on the 439s or the shure SRH440. and also im looking at two superlux model, the HD668b and HD330, i've also been seeing audio technica ath m50s but those have some bad reviews with the mids..  same as well with the superlux which has alot of reviews with it being too bright which i think is easy to fix.. i dont think i'd be having problems running all this on my computer with the built in sound card, but the phone might need an amplifier since the volume is just not enough to even run my Marshall majors... so i need some suggestions with that as well.

anyways im open for suggestions with this matter and be very thankful for helping me pick my first good setup but please keep it under my price range or lower haha cause i still need to think about some of my college stuff lol.

oh and the genres i usually listen to are rock, metal, some dubsteps, rap and some other bass heavy stuff.. pop aswell. i like bass but not too much. i guess im looking for some all-arounder. 
L3000.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Update***

Since i have very limited options in the $150 mark, you guys can suggest a setup under $300, it can be a combo or just a headphone, but i need something portable with a detachable cable, it can be open or closed as long as the sq of course it good.. (i dont really care about leakage
L3000.gif
), looks will be 10% of the criteria :) if you can include the price, that'll be greatly appreciated so i can monitor the budget 

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 35
SRH440 - avoid as it is not worth it
Sennheiser HD 4xx series - avoid as they are not foldable, and thus not compact for storage in bag when out and about.

Try the ATH-M50x, it has less piercing treble, less mid bass bloat and more sub bass

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 35
thanks i'd certainly look in to the m50s, but i also prefer something with a detachable cable, i did some research and the m40s does have a detachable cable.. is it worth it?

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 35
Theres also the donscorpio dolphin and onkyo es fc300
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/2865

The donscorpio dolphin can be found here:
http://penonaudio.com/DONSCORPIO-Dolphin

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 35
thanks i'd certainly look in to the m50s, but i also prefer something with a detachable cable, i did some research and the m40s does have a detachable cable.. is it worth it?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-m40fs-precision-studiophones/reviews/9023
Well a lot of the reviews are from people who haven't tried other cans in the same price range. That is a comparison with a sony mdr7506/mdrv6

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 35

Koss prodj200 and koss tony bennet with genuine m50 pads might be an option but the bass neutral sound signature may not be what you're used to.

Yamaha pro 400

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #7 of 35
kordz i am not referring to the M50s, im referring to the newer model, the M50x, and it come with 3 detachable cables.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 35
Theres also the donscorpio dolphin and onkyo es fc300
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/2865

The donscorpio dolphin can be found here:
http://penonaudio.com/DONSCORPIO-Dolphin

i actually just checked on them but those are not available in my country :frowning2: so im looking at the bigger names..

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 35
bigger names??? The ATH-M50x is by audio technica, which is one of the biggest names already. What country do u live in?

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 35
no, i was refering to zunehdrocks. anyways

TripBitShooter
the M50x is definitely out of my price range lol, would be worth it tho since i like it but i guess not now. :D

was doing some searching here.. i hear these superlux are getting great reviews particularly the hd668b and for the price that's a WIN. and the superlux hd330 does look good too. would that be worth a try. if so any amps you can recomend me?

Sep 24, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 35
i have never tried the superlux cans before so i cannot comment, sorry.

any budget for the amps?

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 35
no, i was refering to zunehdrocks. anyways

TripBitShooter

the M50x is definitely out of my price range lol, would be worth it tho since i like it but i guess not now. :D

was doing some searching here.. i hear these superlux are getting great reviews particularly the hd668b and for the price that's a WIN. and the superlux hd330 does look good too. would that be worth a try. if so any amps you can recomend me?

If open cans are an option theres also the somic mh463, takstar hi 2050, and hifiman he300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back