Need help with my DT880's.
Jun 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xkonfuzed

Headphoneus Supremus
About two weeks ago i got my DT880's (250 ohms) and i absolutely love them. I am currently using my phone, which is a samsung galaxy s2, connected to an E11 amp. I heard that the S2 has a wolfson dac (which is supposed to sound great) but the the problem is that my phone is running out of space and i cant play my FLAC files on it. My music is about 75% 320/256 kbps mp3s and the other 25% are FLAC files. Im looking for a media player that sounds excellent and can get the most out of my DT880's. I was looking at the Sansa Clip+ but i assume it wont be a big improvement from my phone. 

Sorry for the bad english im just lazy and this is the internet so its not graded :p

Thanks in advance.. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 4
I wouldn't think that the Sansa Clip is a step backwards from your phone, either. Be sure to rockbox it if you get one.

That being said, why worry about flacs? Many Head-Fi members have confirmed that it's difficult or often impossible to tell the difference between 320k mp3s and flacs/wavs. I have a Galaxy Note 2, and I don't think it's so discriminating that there is appreciable difference (if any) between 320k and flac. I don't bother with flacs on my phone any more. You'd gain a lot of space back if you ripped those flacs to mp3s.

Also, what size micro SD card are you using? I just googled and found that people are able to get 64GB micro SDs working on the Galaxy S2. If you go that route, you could put your money into upgrading your amp instead. Lots of people like the C&C BH: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review If you search that thread, you'll find people saying it's an improvement over the E11.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I wouldn't think that the Sansa Clip is a step backwards from your phone, either. Be sure to rockbox it if you get one.

That being said, why worry about flacs? Many Head-Fi members have confirmed that it's difficult or often impossible to tell the difference between 320k mp3s and flacs/wavs. I have a Galaxy Note 2, and I don't think it's so discriminating that there is appreciable difference (if any) between 320k and flac. I don't bother with flacs on my phone any more. You'd gain a lot of space back if you ripped those flacs to mp3s.

Also, what size micro SD card are you using? I just googled and found that people are able to get 64GB micro SDs working on the Galaxy S2. If you go that route, you could put your money into upgrading your amp instead. Lots of people like the C&C BH: http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review If you search that thread, you'll find people saying it's an improvement over the E11.

I have read in many places that the difference between 320kbps mp3s and FLACs is unnoticeable. And you're right. I have about 2GB of FLAC files, if i rip them back to mp3 I'd gain a lot of space. 

My phone is a 16GB version (though i only get 9GB of the 16) and I currently have a 2GB microSD card and im probably gonna buy a 32GB SD card.

And since my birthday is right around the corner i might get that C&C BH as an upgrade from my E11. 

Thank for the reply, appreciate the help :)

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 4
Definitely a good idea. I just bought a 32GB Class 10 card for my phone for under $25. You'll get mega storage. I've used 16GB with 1450 files, most of which are 320K mp3s.

If you end up getting the C&C BH, be sure to post your thoughts in that discussion thread :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back