Need money, looking to downgrade from HD800. Thoughts?
Apr 25, 2014 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Drsparis

500+ Head-Fier
Head-fi has turned me into a crazed headphone/music lover and as much as I love it I have spent much more than I should have... I know I know, warnings were there (forum slogan :p). Anyways, I think I have to let go of my hd800's (new version 25***). Any suggestions for a good mid-fi headphone that could fill (obviously not completely) the void where this sound stage/detail monster once lived?

It would need to be comfortable and lightish as it would be my casual computer listening set. Probably matched up with my E-MU 0404 which is a very competent DAC/AMP (would consider purchasing another AMP to go with a cDAC that I also have but the point is to save money lol). I listen to a lot of classic rock/rock/prog rock/jazz. Although that is not technically a strength of the HD800's, with my BHA-1, it could handle anything!

Right now I am looking at a pair of HD600's, or HD650's. Anything else I should be looking at? 

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 11
haven't heard them, but have read that akg k701/702 might be a mid-fi equivelant?

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 11
Sell the HE-400, keep the HD 800? 

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 11
Probably going to end up selling both. I have a code-x on its way so that should cover ortho sound for me. I'm kind of impulsive and this is a horrible website for me pouahaha. I am now on a impulse sell all the unNEEDed phase and figure I should just roll with it lol

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 11
The 'new', made in China AKG 702 is terrific IMO.
Better than the 'original' made in Austria version.

Also better IMO than any of the AKG  Q Series,
with very similar bass and a wider soundstage.

IIRC they were about $225 new.

Otherwise, for some more $$, I recommend the AKG K712.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 11
If you want detail the HD6x0 won't do it. None of the other suggested cans really get me excited. If you're downgrading fom the HD800, the level of detail refinement is beyond what most ppl her are familiar with. To get amazing detail on a budget, I'd advise going used and discontinued.

i'd look into the K 1000s. Dunno how expensive they are nowadays, they used to be ~$800 to $1000

I also like the Sony MDR SA5000 as a detailed can.

Also consider going w a Stax Lambda or Lambda Pro setup. There was a time you could do this for call it $400.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 11
K712? or k702 anniversaries? HD 6xx series is probably a little too dark if you're used to the 800's

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 11
There is nothing wrong w the k701. It's a fine, very balanced, mid level headphone. But why settle for midlevel when you can get something superlative in detail or soundstage while sacrificing elements (e.g. tonal balance or extension) that you may not care about? k701 was always a jack of all trades, master of none to me. Which is why we (a bunch of semi old timers) never really were that interested.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 11
If you want detail the HD6x0 won't do it. None of the other suggested cans really get me excited. If you're downgrading fom the HD800, the level of detail refinement is beyond what most ppl her are familiar with. To get amazing detail on a budget, I'd advise going used and discontinued.

i'd look into the K 1000s. Dunno how expensive they are nowadays, they used to be ~$800 to $1000

I also like the Sony MDR SA5000 as a detailed can.

Also consider going w a Stax Lambda or Lambda Pro setup. There was a time you could do this for call it $400.

It's understandable that they don't get you excited.

They're "downgrades" for the OP, and thus, unfortunately not as good
with respect to detail for sure and perhaps otherwise as well.

Buying used is not suitable for everyone, but it is an option and
good to mention. 
beerchug.gif
  Discontinued deals are another good option,, though 
quality discontinued headphones selling inexpensively usually vanish very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back