Need new headphones for Music/Movies/Gaming... experiencing paralysis by analysis
Aug 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dutchgenius

New Head-Fier
As the title suggests, I am looking for a new pair of headphones for PC use with an Asus Xonar DG sound card.  Primarily I will be using them for Music (30%), Gaming (55%), and movies (15%).  I listen to mostly rock/metal and Punk music but enjoy rap, R&B, and piano-based pop/rock as well... and also some live metal/classical compilations.  My current budget is in flux but is ~50-110, but I am generally cheap by nature (wife and 2 kids at home). 

I have owned and modded a pair of JVC HA-RX900's in the past and they sounded great, but they were heavy (enough to strain my neck after extended periods) and they ear pads weren't quite big enough to surround my ears which eventually would cause ear pain.  These are the ones I have looked at thus far and eliminated (but with enough convincing I suppose I could change my mind)

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (like the pads and headband style, don't like the lack of base and too much sound leakage, color is meh)
Audio Technica ATH-M50 (don't like the oval pads, ears wont fit... probably, design is bland)
Superlux 661 (would rather spend the extra cash and get the Samsons, my budget is a little better than this)
Superlux 668B (like the sound, don't like the headband style... looks like I would break it too easy or my kids would)
Creative Aurvana Live (sounds great, ear pads would hurt though)

I have looked at a ton of comparisons and reviews at this point, and think I have things narrowed down.  Right now I am looking at the following two pairs:

Ultrasone Pro 550 (or also Pro DJ1 which is the same) - good base, isolation, large ear cups (might eventually uprade to the 750 velour ones, lots of accessories, durable), expensive though and I am not sure they warrant the extra cash

Samson SR850 - decent base, good overall sound, great soundstage, lightweight, I enjoy this type of headband after my RX-900 experience, great price, but budget build so I would eventually upgrade the pads to velour AKG K240's and maybe a real leather headband

So my big question is, at what pricepoint does the Ultrasone become worth the extra cash? Or is it worth it at all?  I can get the Samson for around $50 right now and can score a used set of 550's for ~$90-110, is that gap worth the jump?  if they were both MSRP, I would go straight for the Samson and just wait out some small upgrades as cash unfolds... But an extra $50 is not a huge jump, just want to make sure it is worth it for the Ultrasones.

Got a great set of cans I missed?  Give me some suggestions, and thanks again.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 4
It's $46 for AKG K240/241/270/271 Velour ear pads that fit the SR850.
Creative WOW headset ear cushions are $15.

Takstar HI2050s ($64) headphones come with Velour ear pads, they are also sold under he name Technical Pro HPT990 ($50).

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 4
they have a nice Beyer look to them, how do they perform against the headphones I listed?  the velour earpads are certainly a plus, but sound is the main priority.

They also look like they might be much heavier than the other two models I was looking at.

Ultrasones - 295 grams
Samson - 272 grams
Takstar - 325 grams

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
They have a nice Beyer look to them, how do they perform against the headphones I listed?  The Velour ear pads are certainly a plus, but sound is the main priority.
They also look like they might be much heavier than the other two models I was looking at.

I paid $64 for my Hi2050 (shipped from Asia).
My Hi2050 are about the same sound quality wise to my SR850 (Velour), the Hi2050 having a little more bass.
I would not describe the hi2050s as a heavy headphone, they are a few ounces heavier then the SR850s.
I would recommend you read up on as many reviews of the Hi2050s you can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back