Need recommendation based on Grado SR-125 and Etymotic Research ER-4P
Dec 5, 2011 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

almo2001

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I love the flat-response sound of Grado SR-125 and Etymotic Research ER-4P headphones. I need to get something less expensive for use at work, since the employer is paying for it. I'm looking for over-ear headphones, open-air preferable (but not necessary) as I like to know what's going on around me. My 15-year-old SR-80s are starting to rattle a little, and it drives me nuts.

Here's the tough part:
Can someone recommend me something with a similar style of sound, at $50 (CAD) or less, avaliable at Amazon.ca? I don't think the purchasing department will want to work with a random small retailer. I'm aware that in this price range what I get will not sound as awesome.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 6
Well, they don't sound like Etymotics , but the Koss PortaPro seems to be your best bet at that price range. It had plenty of bass, but still decent sparkle in the treble. I've had mine for a few years, and have yet to find another open headphone under $100 to beat them. Other than that, a more expensive but slightly more comfortable alternative can be had in the Sennheiser HD238, but it is even more bass heavy to my ears.

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 6
I'd check your Grados for hairs first. It's a common problem with Grados, search for "Grattle".
No $50 headphone will come close to the SR125, it would be a shame if you throw them away because of a little hair on the diaphragm.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 6
How about a Shure 440?  Sorry didn't look to see if they were available on ca

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 6
They're not 125s I need to replace, it's an old set of 80s. But still, if it's hair, you're right about that being a bad reason to get rid of them. I'll check into that first.

Other folks: thanks for the recommendations, they will come in handy if this turns out not to be a hair-in-the-driver issue. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back