Need recommendation for portable amp
Oct 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CalvinXC

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for a portable amp.

Currently I'm using iBasso DX50 as primary device, but there is a significant hiss when used with my SE535LTD, this is still acceptable if listening for a short while, but prolonged listening like while I'm studying or working on projects will just cause me to lose concentration as I will have a headache because of that hiss (feels like I have to put more concentration to focus on the songs only/as if there is something that is masking the songs and I will get a headache which will last for hours after that).

Gears I'm using : 

-DX50
-HP DV6 -> UD120 > *looking amp to use with 
-Shure SE535LTD
-Xiaomi Piston 2.1 (even the piston can pickup hiss too)

My budget is best below $500(USD) 
Sometimes I do listen to much lower volume than usual and I do know some amps will have channel imbalance when going low volume, I hope it can still maintain the L/R balance that way. The C5 is something quite popular but I'm looking for something that can also drive full size cans well.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 12
  Hi, I'm looking for a portable amp.

Currently I'm using iBasso DX50 as primary device, but there is a significant hiss when used with my SE535LTD, this is still acceptable if listening for a short while, but prolonged listening like while I'm studying or working on projects will just cause me to lose concentration as I will have a headache because of that hiss (feels like I have to put more concentration to focus on the songs only/as if there is something that is masking the songs and I will get a headache which will last for hours after that).
Gears I'm using : 
-DX50
-HP DV6 -> UD120 > *looking amp to use with 
-Shure SE535LTD
-Xiaomi Piston 2.1 (even the piston can pickup hiss too)
My budget is best below $500(USD) 
Sometimes I do listen to much lower volume than usual and I do know some amps will have channel imbalance when going low volume, I hope it can still maintain the L/R balance that way. The C5 is something quite popular but I'm looking for something that can also drive full size cans well.

I would say to replace the DX50, I'm assuming it's defective in some small way, which is causing the hiss.

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the input. I think that's just me to be too sensitive to those hiss, a few reviews did point out that the dx50 is not dead silence in the background of sensitive iems. Plus my warranty is over last month.

Besides I'm really looking for an amp that is good as I'm adding up my gears slowly. :)

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the input. I think that's just me to be too sensitive to those hiss, a few reviews did point out that the dx50 is not dead silence in the background of sensitive iems. Plus my warranty is over last month.

Besides I'm really looking for an amp that is good as I'm adding up my gears slowly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Fiio E11K headphone amplifier, $60
Connect it to the DX50's line-output port.

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 12
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/729545

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #6 of 12
The SE535 have a very high sensitivity of 119db, and thus some devices could have problems with hiss. I'd ask in this thread and see which amps people are having good luck with: http://www.head-fi.org/t/497285/shure-se535-reviews-and-first-impressions-thread

Oct 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 12
Fiio E11K headphone amplifier, $60
Connect it to the DX50's line-output port.

I've tried several FiiO amp and I didn't like how they present the sound, it's a little bit grainy IMO.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/729545

Read up a little and the Cabin seems to be really good, but I'm not sure to up my budget even more to get a even better amp like those from RSA and etc, probably will stay with the IEM game much longer before moving to full size cans.

The SE535 have a very high sensitivity of 119db, and thus some devices could have problems with hiss. I'd ask in this thread and see which amps people are having good luck with: http://www.head-fi.org/t/497285/shure-se535-reviews-and-first-impressions-thread

Yeah, it's quite see sensitive and sometimes it can be quite annoying when there is the hiss or noise. I'll post my question there later.

Thank you for all the inputs. Really appreciate it.

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 12
If the source is bad, there's not much an amp can do to clean that up. How is the hiss when you connect the DAC and laptop. Try hearing some music with WASAPI in exclusive mode.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 12
I don't have any iems that are quite as sensitive as the SE535, but the I have not had any hiss problems using them with the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII.  Although it is expensive, the Just Audio AHA-120 is also a good option. The Fiio X12 is also decent, but lacks the clarity of the other two.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 12
I am not too familiar with stand-alone music players but if the SE535 is too sensitive then you'd better go with a high-end player. Have you tried anything like a normal iPhone with PowerAmp or something?

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 12
I don't have any iems that are quite as sensitive as the SE535, but the I have not had any hiss problems using them with the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII.  Although it is expensive, the Just Audio AHA-120 is also a good option. The Fiio X12 is also decent, but lacks the clarity of the other two.

I haven't had any problems with the DX50. But I don't have any high sensitivity IEMs :)

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #12 of 12
If the source is bad, there's not much an amp can do to clean that up. How is the hiss when you connect the DAC and laptop. Try hearing some music with WASAPI in exclusive mode.

I've tried something like a few FiiO's amp, D zero, GoVibe Peak/Martini + and etc, they all sounded very clean, no hiss when using either my UD120(Foobar2000 with ASIO) and my dx50 line out, just that I haven't found the best amp yet.

I'll take a look at reviews of those amps later :)
Pretty bad that it's hard to get variety of audio gears to try here, headphones yes, almost all is available *except CIEM, many brand not available here yet.

I am not too familiar with stand-alone music players but if the SE535 is too sensitive then you'd better go with a high-end player. Have you tried anything like a normal iPhone with PowerAmp or something?

Had no problem with DX90, but I've bought the 50 with a great deal and it sounded awesome with the sound unlocked FW. Tried iPhone 5 with Accudio Pro, not much difference, and the 5 is not that good sounding either, the DX50 is of course miles ahead of it, while IMO the 5S and iPad Air sounded much better.

I haven't had any problems with the DX50. But I don't have any high sensitivity IEMs :)

Even Apple EarPod don't hiss on the dx50. Tried HD650 on it, quite awesome but decided to stick with iems. :)

Also looking to get a new cable for my 535..silver is the way to go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back