Need recommendation
Feb 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

adrenc94

New Head-Fier
Hi there, please help me out with some recommendation for my home set up.

Rig: Laptop > Foobar 2000(Will be playing mostly FLAC and 320kbps MP3) > Schiit Modi & Magni > Headphone
Usage: Music & Gaming(FPS)
Genre: Non audiophile collection of :p consisting of the following : Rock, Alternative, Metal, Acoustic, Jazz (Pink Floyd, Sum 41, Green Day, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, A7X, Michael Buble, Jason Mraz, Boyce Avenue etc. Mostly are obtained via non-audiophile CD Rips) 
Budget: Still saving money. Would take a few months but the budget would be around $600USD MAX.
Type: Full size headphone. Open back or closed back isn't too much of a problem.
For reference, some phones I have right now: Shure SE535, Goldring DR150, FAD Adagio II
Please help me out.

Other requirement: Must be able to buy from Amazon and ship to Malaysia. 
If possible, I would like the headphones to be circumaural as portability would not be required since I already have the SE535 and the Adagio II to take care of my portable rig. And please, no Grados recommendation for rock. :p I find them a bit uncomfortable. :)

Many thanks.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 15
I think if you are new here you are supposed to post this kind of question in the "Headphones Recommendation Thread". You might get more play in there. 
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Hi there, please help me out with some recommendation for my home set up.

Rig: Laptop > Foobar 2000(Will be playing mostly FLAC and 320kbps MP3) > Schiit Modi & Magni > Headphone
Usage: Music & Gaming(FPS)
Genre: Non audiophile collection of :p consisting of the following : Rock, Alternative, Metal, Acoustic, Jazz (Pink Floyd, Sum 41, Green Day, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, A7X, Michael Buble, Jason Mraz, Boyce Avenue etc. Mostly are obtained via non-audiophile CD Rips) 
Budget: Still saving money. Would take a few months but the budget would be around $600USD MAX.
Type: Full size headphone. Open back or closed back isn't too much of a problem.
For reference, some phones I have right now: Shure SE535, Goldring DR150, FAD Adagio II
Please help me out.

Other requirement: Must be able to buy from Amazon and ship to Malaysia. 
If possible, I would like the headphones to be circumaural as portability would not be required since I already have the SE535 and the Adagio II to take care of my portable rig. And please, no Grados recommendation for rock. :p I find them a bit uncomfortable. :)

Many thanks.

Heya,

Suggestions:

Hifiman HE-400
Sony MA900
Beyer DT880 250ohm
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD600
AKG Q701

Denon D600
Sony MDR1R
AKG K550
Sennheiser Momentum
Mr Speaker Mad Dog (not amazon, but maybe you can get it shipped to where you are)

And you don't even need to use your maximum budget.

Use the rest of the money on accessories and more music of high quality.

Very best,

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Heya,

Suggestions:

Hifiman HE-400
Sony MA900
Beyer DT880 250ohm
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD600
AKG Q701

Denon D600
Sony MDR1R
AKG K550
Sennheiser Momentum
Mr Speaker Mad Dog (not amazon, but maybe you can get it shipped to where you are)

And you don't even need to use your maximum budget.

Use the rest of the money on accessories and more music of high quality.

Very best,

Thanks for the recommendation. How does the Q701 fair with Rock genres? I was initially interested in them as I heard that they have little to no bass for the genre? But I read that they reproduce the acoustics and classical in a heavenly manner though.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. How does the Q701 fair with Rock genres? I was initially interested in them as I heard that they have little to no bass for the genre? But I read that they reproduce the acoustics and classical in a heavenly manner though.

Heya,

The Q701 is not a bassy headphone. It's a warm neutral. Some may find it a little polite with bass, like myself. But others think its fine. It's up to your taste. Depends on what kind of bass you're looking for I suppose. Personally I would suggest you try and get an Ortho (HE400 / Mad Dog).

Very best,

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Heya,

The Q701 is not a bassy headphone. It's a warm neutral. Some may find it a little polite with bass, like myself. But others think its fine. It's up to your taste. Depends on what kind of bass you're looking for I suppose. Personally I would suggest you try and get an Ortho (HE400 / Mad Dog).

Very best,

Alrighty. HE-400 is priced at around $400 USD correct? Which means I won't need to use all my budget on them. But will my amp power them? And would the HE400 be suitable for my taste of music? I need to depend a lot on reviews as I can't demo them before purchase.
Thanks. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #10 of 15
Wow MalVeauX has given a rather comprehensive and solid list
to start with.  

A great exercise would be to search for some of the
models he lists there and start to get a feeling for how people talk
about each model.  E.g., some of these give a better sense of the details in
the music, some give a relatively richer sound, some have better
3 dimensional image.

As you home in on which characteristics are most important then
you can skinny this down to a short list.  That's how I'd procede.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Alrighty. HE-400 is priced at around $400 USD correct? Which means I won't need to use all my budget on them. But will my amp power them? And would the HE400 be suitable for my taste of music? I need to depend a lot on reviews as I can't demo them before purchase.
Thanks. 

Heya,

The HE400 is efficient and will run very comfortably, with overhead, from your current equipment. The HE400 covers all genres of music. All of them. It's a complete headphone.

Very best,

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 15
If I was interested in an open can (I'm not), then I'd have the HE400's by now. Very well rated, your amp / dac combo should suit them well for an accurate sound (not an unusual coupling, you can probably find some reviews of this combo).

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #13 of 15
Wow MalVeauX has given a rather comprehensive and solid list
to start with.  

A great exercise would be to search for some of the
models he lists there and start to get a feeling for how people talk
about each model.  E.g., some of these give a better sense of the details in
the music, some give a relatively richer sound, some have better
3 dimensional image.

As you home in on which characteristics are most important then
you can skinny this down to a short list.  That's how I'd procede.

Thanks for the input.
Actually, I have narrowed down the list as some of the phones that he suggested is actually what I wanted to buy in the first place. My list include the beyers, senns and Q701 that he suggested. But it seems that I am gonna add the HE-400 to my list. It would take a few months for me to save for it and I posted this thread here to plan the purchase ahead of time.

Many thanks.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 15
Heya,

The HE400 is efficient and will run very comfortably, with overhead, from your current equipment. The HE400 covers all genres of music. All of them. It's a complete headphone.

Very best,
Heya,

Very best,

Alright. Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will go read some reviews here before I do make up my mind. Right now, I seem to favor the AKG Q701. But I am intested in the HE400 as well.
I guess it would be best to read about my purchases ahead.

Many thanks

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #15 of 15
If I was interested in an open can (I'm not), then I'd have the HE400's by now. Very well rated, your amp / dac combo should suit them well for an accurate sound (not an unusual coupling, you can probably find some reviews of this combo).

As a matter in fact, I do prefer open back. But I do appreciate more choices before I pull the trigger.
=)
Many thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back