Need recommendations for new grill
Aug 27, 2007 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

recstar24

Can Jam '10 Organizer
My wife and I moved into our new house and plan on throwing a labor day party this weekend as a housewarming. Our little tiny weber sure won't cut it for our group, and we have talked about getting some decent for the next couple of years. I am looking for something sub $200, and are looking at gas grills. Obviously these may not last as long as the $500 and up webers, but price is an issue. If it works great, is easy to assemble, durable enough for 5 years or so, and cooks food pretty evenly, we will be happy. Any ideas or recommendations you could provide based on experience would be great.

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 21
I know you said gas, but I got a CharGrill (I think the name is) smoker with a sidecar. Looks like a 50 gallon drum, with a 10 gallon bucket welded to the side. Get one of the chimney charcoal lighters, and your prep time is similar to gas, and the results are so much better. Cost me about $180 for the grill + the chimney from home despot.

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 21
You'll be pushing it to have a gas grill last 5 years for sub $200.

That being said, a decent low end gas grill is the Kenmore line. Sears has some good deals on them from time to time. However, like any gas grill it'll last a lot longer if you keep it covered and clean out the spider webs with a brush if they get in the burners. Another plus with the Kenmore's is that they are usually fairly easy to find replacement parts for.

I'm a charcoal man myself... I use a Weber Performer. They run about $300 will last well over 5 years without a problem and the best thing about that grill is the gas ignition system. So it'll get the coals ready to go in about half the time. It's a good compromise since you still get the charcoal taste and some of the speed associated with Gas. It's not immediately ready to go, but it's fast enough for a Tuesday evening after work. Start it up, prepare the food, and it'll be just about ready to go.

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you said gas, but I got a CharGrill (I think the name is) smoker with a sidecar. Looks like a 50 gallon drum, with a 10 gallon bucket welded to the side. Get one of the chimney charcoal lighters, and your prep time is similar to gas, and the results are so much better. Cost me about $180 for the grill + the chimney from home despot.

My co-worker just commented on a very similar recommendation. I have always been a charcoal man myself, but guess am getting old with the starting and cleaning. He also recommended using the chimney lighters to facilitate the coal warming process.

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 21
dan1son,

Yeah, researching some of the sub $200 gas grills appears that they will definitely have some issues and would probably require warranty work or replacement parts within 5 years if not 2 or 3. The wife is really all about propane for convenience but I know our money will go farther with charcoal.

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 21
If you must buy gas, buy from costco. They'll take back your broken gas grill in 2 years
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 21
i suggest biting the bullet and getting something better like a weber (which aren't perfect, but compared to others, they're very good). i've had mine for about 4 years and it's still going strong compared to all the other crappy grilles i've had before.

and b/c i'm a lazy griller, i even got a natural gas line to it so i don't have to worry about tanks. :p

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dan1son,

Yeah, researching some of the sub $200 gas grills appears that they will definitely have some issues and would probably require warranty work or replacement parts within 5 years if not 2 or 3. The wife is really all about propane for convenience but I know our money will go farther with charcoal.

Yeah my wife and neighbors were all about propane until we made 4 identical beer butt chickens, 2 on his high end stainless gas grill, and 2 on my 15 year old Weber standard 22.5" before I bought the new one. Needless to say the Charcoal had much more flavor especially on something that takes some time to cook.

It was nice... gave me the go ahead on the new charcoal grill and I ended up giving the old one to the neighbor
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

If you must buy gas, buy from costco. They'll take back your broken gas grill in 2 years
smily_headphones1.gif

Good point
wink.gif
The wife is being somewhat unreasonable. No coal, has to be gas. DEFINITELY has to be under $200, if not $150. Going to have to compromise for sure, but the wife says we can get something cheap now and get something really nice later. Whereas I say get something really nice now that will last, and not worry about it.

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 21
I figured you were looking for custom grills for a pair of Grados. As for your actual question, I live in a condo and have little experience to offer.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured you were looking for custom grills for a pair of Grados. As for your actual question, I live in a condo and have little experience to offer.
biggrin.gif

Can I cook up a burger on those custom grado grills? If so, please shoot me your rec
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

With those restrictions, just get a foreman grill
smily_headphones1.gif

Never!!! Foreman grills are terrible. I have one that I use for like frozen chicken and the really cheap burgers, but no can do with nice burger and steak. I think she will just have to buy whatever she wants, and when it breaks down in 2 years, I will try to hold my tongue and not say told you so, and then we get something of good value and price. I think the sweet spot is around $400-$500 where you can get something real nice that will cook great and last a while. Wish I could afford that right now, but alas just don't have the funds. And yes before you all ask I have pretty much sold the rest of my gear off so no budget there
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back