Need serious help with Macbook Pro Retina (Late 2013) Headphone recommendations.
Jun 10, 2014 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HandsomeRob

Head-Fier
Hey guys.
I have a rMBP and I want to get a set of over the ear headphones. Definitely open ear headphones since closed gets too warm for me.
Would love to get a DAC if i need one or an AMP. This will be for desktop use only. I don't need anything portable.
Thx
Rob

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 6
I have a rMBP. The on-board DAC is (imho) pretty good, so you can upgrade it if you want to, but I don't know if it's necessary at this point.

I'd recommend you get the Philips Fidelio X1. No amp necessary for those. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeah there are plenty of good amps in that range. You probably don't even need to go that high though. I'd do some research cause it's the same thing as headphones, there are a variety of questions to answer to figure out which one is right for you. Desktop vs. Portable, Tubes vs. Solid State, etc. A lot of people would recommend the Schiit Magni or the Objective 2 as a good starter amp, that may be all you ever need. If you want, you can go a little higher for the Objective 2 + Odac combo, and have a great DAC & amp in the same kit, and for under $300. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 6
The lh labs geek out 450 amp/dac is VERY popular for 299,-. The Sennheiser HD600 is the easiest recommendation because it is so natural & full-bodied & rhythmic in its presentation and it has the fewest flaws of all headphones i know (also look for the "58 headphones compared" thread). I still prefer it to the analytical & unreal HD800. The Beyerdynamic DT880 is also a solid performer and a bit more fun sounding but less real / natural than the HD600. 

Check out  http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/headphone-shootouts/which-headphones-are-best-listen-here-for-yourself#soundcloudwidget

Its a [size=x-small]very good [/size]source[size=x-small] if you have to buy blind. You can compare the different headphones with various genres. Choose the headphone where you still like to listen to those songs/genres that you don't like usually. For me the AKG K712 Pro is very good in that regard.[/size]

[size=x-small]If you want so save money, then just buy a YAMAHA MT220 and plug it into your MBP.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back