Need some help deciding on my first purchase.
May 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

CrimsonV0id

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. 

I'm planning to make my first purchase of high quality headphones and just want to make sure that I make a good purchase. I have never owned a pair of headphones over £25 (currently using plantronics 367 headset) and the only soundcard I've owned was some £10 creative that I bought 7 years ago. I've been lurking around for a bit and have my eye on Beyerdynamics DT770 80ohm. 

I game quite a bit so positional accuracy is something that I would be interested in, but i'm not looking for it to be perfect.
My music tastes are really broad but I'd say that majority of my music is Electronic (House, Synthpop, Garage, Minimal Dubstep) some indie/metal/pop/soundtracks. So I guess I'm saying that I'm interested in a well rounded headphone with an emphasis on electronic music.  
I know that DT770 have quite strong bass due to the closed design. As long as it's not overpowering or distorts the rest of the song or can be tamed with equalizers then its no big deal.

Will something like Asus Xonar DG/DS be enough to drive the 80ohm version or will I need a dedicated amp/converter. I'm not looking to spend 100s on sound equipment. (yet) 

Any other suggestions besides the DT770's for around £120/180$ would be welcome as well. I am prepared to look in the lower price ranges if my current price range needs expensive driving power.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back