Need some help with a headphone
Sep 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mrconfuse

100+ Head-Fier
I live in NYC and ride the subway to work everyday and sometimes the cable on my westone 4 gets snagged. The headphones are great but after the last incident (cable got pulled out of my iphone cause some woman brushed up against me as she was leaving and her purse snagged it). So I saw the Head Fi youtube for the sennheiser MM 450x (bluetooth & noise cancelling). The review for it was pretty good so gave it a try. Problem was the noise cancelling didn't really block out much of the train noise. I still had to up the volume more than I want but the wireless part was pretty cool.

Does anyone know of any headphones that has noise cancelling that work in the subway/train and has bluetooth?

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 5
Unfortunately I can't think of anything.  Your best bet honestly would be using ones with a removable cable or just like, putting the cable under your shirt or something.  The only headphones that really have good noise cancelling out there are the Bose ones, and they don't sound great other than the nice noise cancelling.

Another option could be to use on-ear headphones with a cable that just pops out or something, but then, none like that I know of actually have good isolation (M-80 would be nice if it weren't for the relatively sub-par isolation, especially for on a subway).

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 5
I live in NYC and ride the subway to work everyday and sometimes the cable on my westone 4 gets snagged. The headphones are great but after the last incident (cable got pulled out of my iphone cause some woman brushed up against me as she was leaving and her purse snagged it). So I saw the Head Fi youtube for the sennheiser MM 450x (bluetooth & noise cancelling). The review for it was pretty good so gave it a try. Problem was the noise cancelling didn't really block out much of the train noise. I still had to up the volume more than I want but the wireless part was pretty cool.

Does anyone know of any headphones that has noise cancelling that work in the subway/train and has bluetooth?

You can try the M550 from VMinnovations refurbed for 250 bucks here:

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_15434/Sennheiser-MM-550-Travel-Bluetooth-Wireless-MP3-iPod-Headphones-Refurbished-.html

This 550 model is an over-ear version that will get better passive sound isolation/reduction than the on-ear 440x.

If you liked the sound of the 440 this is a possible option for you. I personally loved the sound of the 550 except when you turn on the NC it takes out much of the bass and low end in your music. For this reason I got rid of them and ended up getting the Able Planet nc1000 for 65 bucks for noise reduction headphone for travel only.

The 550 had much better SQ than the bose, or the Able Planets IMO overall but again had that drop-out of the low end with NC turned on as it's main flaw.

I found the Bluetooth not to reduce the SQ too much and worked suprisingly well though I prefered to keep them wired for better SQ.

Good luck.

(Oh yea they are still small and portable for an over-ear model but if you have large:ear::ear::ear::ear: ears you might have a fit issue with the cup size.)

Edit: Keep in mind i only used the 550 on a plane.... Never a train so cant vouch for their reduction of train noise. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back