Need suggestions on HE-400 Headband Mod.
Oct 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KCxSmacker

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings fellow head-fiers!

I recently just got my HE-400s and have added velour pads and have custom cables on the way. I love the hell out of these things and wear them along with my Denon d5ks all the time. My only complaint about the headphone is the padding on the headband. I want to mod them so they are much more comfy. I was thinking of using some velcro on the band along with a pad from another headphone. Do you think this is a good idea seeing as the headband is made of a leather like material? Also my main question is what pad I should be using. The very middle of the headphone is damn wide, so I don't see putting a button/wrap around headband on, hence they velcro idea. I have look at a couple sennheiser headband pads such as the hd600 and 650 pad. I was hoping others with more experience could suggest the best pad to fit these sexy beasts.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Cheers

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 10
I did something similar to my SRH440.

Stock:

With HD650 headband pad and SRH940 velour ear pads:

I scrapped the stock headband "padding" to build this. More details here. The end result is very good, and I now use these on a daily basis without comfort issues. Note that one of the reasons it's now more comfortable is the loss of weight the mod resulted in. They are now 271 grams (355 with cable). The HD650's headband pad is very squishy, so I'm concerned the heavy weight of the HE-400 would simply flatten it. A padding that hits the bottom is simply useless. I'd recommend going for the HD600's pad instead, as this model is thicker in the middle.

I honestly don't know how you could mount it to leather though. I would not dare use glue or double faced tape, for fear of damaging the leather. Anything else would just wobble around.

The weight of these planar magnetic headphones really kills it for me, which is sad because they do sound amazing for electronic music. If I were to modify them to be more comfortable, I would first try to lower their weight. Simply adding padding will raise their weight, which may worsen their comfort level.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 10
buy HD580 foam thingies for the headband, i think it will fit but you might need to cut the foam...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886679-REG/Sennheiser_549375_HD_580_Headband.html

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 10
hmmm ok, the sennheiser  580 pads might be better then the 650 as it looks like it has more cushion. Thanks for the input. I will have to keep thinking about ways to mount it on the leather.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Oct 16, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 10
Since the hd600 headband is split into 4, it might be possible to use elastic bands to mount it. Use one in each slot, plus each ends. It may look dirty, but worth a try. I'd cut pieces of cloth elastic like the type used for boxers. You can cut it the right width and length, then sew them together at the right tension. Place pieces of rubber between the cushion and the leather to prevent it from sliding around.

Have you studied the headband to see if you could simply replace the whole thing? In a reversible manner, that is.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Since the hd600 headband is split into 4, it might be possible to use elastic bands to mount it. Use one in each slot, plus each ends. It may look dirty, but worth a try. I'd cut pieces of cloth elastic like the type used for boxers. You can cut it the right width and length, then sew them together at the right tension. Place pieces of rubber between the cushion and the leather to prevent it from sliding around.

Have you studied the headband to see if you could simply replace the whole thing? In a reversible manner, that is.

I like this idea. and really i could use just clothing maybe. Or maybe make custom buttons on strips to go around each section. The hd600 pad may be just the pad I need. After I send off my headphones I may order some so they will be here when my rev 3 gets replaced and I can send some updates on the mod and let you all know. Thanks for the suggestion. that pad does look comfy ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back