Needing help choosing the right amp/dac setup with hd650
Oct 16, 2023 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

meltdown05

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. New to the site and I’m happy to be here and learning new things daily.

About a year ago I bought a zen air dac for my setup and I already had a liquid spark monolith laying around so I used that as well. One day I was cleaning and I moved the air dac and killed it. It will not turn on and if I try it gets extremely hot and smells like a cap or something went.

I bought a topping dx3 pro+ and I hated the sound. It was not my cup of tea.

I guess my question is what are my options for dac amp combos or stacks under 1k that have good bass and warmth. I primarily listen to metal with hd650 headphones.

Thank you!

Oct 16, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 12
Bottlehead Crack is my suggestion. Or if you want to go solid state, an R2R dac.

Oct 17, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 12
Aside from Bottlehead Crack, Schiit Audio DACs and Amp have always been great parings with HD6xx. Choose your flavor.

Oct 17, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 12
Is the dark voice similar to the bottle head? Any recs on a certain r2r
I've not heard the dark voice, unfortunately. In your budget, a Denafrips Ares or Musician Draco used.

Or if you just want to see if it might be something you'll like, pick up a Cayin RU6 used for $140 or so. It only has 3.5 and 4.4 out and doesn't really compete with the desktop counterparts, but it would give you a sense of whether or not you like what it sounds like. And you should be able to resell it for what you paid, minus the shipping and fees.

Oct 17, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 12
I've not heard the dark voice, unfortunately. In your budget, a Denafrips Ares or Musician Draco used.

Or if you just want to see if it might be something you'll like, pick up a Cayin RU6 used for $140 or so. It only has 3.5 and 4.4 out and doesn't really compete with the desktop counterparts, but it would give you a sense of whether or not you like what it sounds like. And you should be able to resell it for what you paid, minus the shipping and fees.
Thank you for the info!

Oct 20, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 12
Hello everyone. New to the site and I’m happy to be here and learning new things daily.

About a year ago I bought a zen air dac for my setup and I already had a liquid spark monolith laying around so I used that as well. One day I was cleaning and I moved the air dac and killed it. It will not turn on and if I try it gets extremely hot and smells like a cap or something went.

I bought a topping dx3 pro+ and I hated the sound. It was not my cup of tea.

I guess my question is what are my options for dac amp combos or stacks under 1k that have good bass and warmth. I primarily listen to metal with hd650 headphones.

Thank you!
Hi
On the budget end the IFI Zen Dac v2 hs a nice warm sound and the bass boost is helpful with some headphones.

Oct 20, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 12
I decided to go with the magnius and modius while still trying to find a good used r2r dac to play around with like denafrips. Thank you for all the suggestions. I get the stack tomorrow I’m pretty nervous and excited. I know this stack kinda has “mixed” reviews.

Oct 21, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 12
Report back your impressions. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back