Neo-Noob Needs Help Cleaning Ear Pads AKG K701: NEVERMIND found something, sorry.
Jan 4, 2008 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sprout

New Head-Fier
Hey guys-

This is my first post on the forums, but I've been perusing all the helpful discussions for quite some time.

Head-fi.org is a great resource for any level of listener, and I'm glad that it exists.

Now, I just received a pair of used AKG K701 and I'm wondering how to clean the earpads. I removed them without a problem, but I'm not sure how I should go about cleaning them.

BTW, it was from the discussions on these forums that lead me to purchase a set of Westone UM1 for portable use. I have yet to receive them but I can't wait until they arrive!

Thanks in advance,
sprout

Jan 5, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 4
What you'll need:

1 large bowl (I used a salad bowl)
2 water
3 laundry detergent (I used 2xUltra Tide)
4 patience...
5 dish rack or something similar
6 small portable fan (I used a small ceramic heater)

Remove ear pieces by twisting them off, don't pull them off. Gently, please.

Add warm water to a large bowl and mix with a small amount of detergent. (this will depend on how dirty your pieces are and the concentration of the detergent your using)

Place the ear pieces in the bowl of water/detergent mixture and squeeze the ear pieces so that they act as a sponge and absorb plenty of the water/detergent.

Thoroughly rinse the ear pieces with cold water as to remove all the soap.

Carefully squeeze the water from the ear piece and then place them on a dish rack or something similar so they can dry properly/quickly.

Aim a small fan/heater at the ear pieces to speed up the process. (using a portable ceramic heater, I managed to dry both of mine in 2-3 hours.)

Word of caution: don't cook your ear pieces with the heater if you choose to use one. They get very hot very fast, so I recommend placing the heater about one foot away from the earpieces and check on them every 20 minutes or so.

That's the first instructional that I've ever written. I hope it decipherable!

sprout

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 4
What you'll need:

1 large bowl (I used a salad bowl)

2 water

3 laundry detergent (I used 2xUltra Tide)

4 patience...

5 dish rack or something similar

6 small portable fan (I used a small ceramic heater)

Remove ear pieces by twisting them off, don't pull them off. Gently, please.

Add warm water to a large bowl and mix with a small amount of detergent. (this will depend on how dirty your pieces are and the concentration of the detergent your using)

Place the ear pieces in the bowl of water/detergent mixture and squeeze the ear pieces so that they act as a sponge and absorb plenty of the water/detergent.

Thoroughly rinse the ear pieces with cold water as to remove all the soap.

Carefully squeeze the water from the ear piece and then place them on a dish rack or something similar so they can dry properly/quickly.

Aim a small fan/heater at the ear pieces to speed up the process. (using a portable ceramic heater, I managed to dry both of mine in 2-3 hours.)

Word of caution: don't cook your ear pieces with the heater if you choose to use one. They get very hot very fast, so I recommend placing the heater about one foot away from the earpieces and check on them every 20 minutes or so.

That's the first instructional that I've ever written. I hope it decipherable!

sprout

Finding a good spot for them to dry was the hardest part! Great instructions :) not dry yet but they look good as new

Users who are viewing this thread

Back