Neumann NDH 30
Sep 23, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #3,601 of 4,947
Well as I stated earlier the NDH30 appear to fulfill exactly as they are marketed for, so in that light not a bad set of cans. I just happen to have read more into the impressions expressed here that they may be somewhere between the HD660S2 and HD800S, but from what I'm hearing that is not the case.
Normally I do not do back to back comparisons right from the start but for what ever reason the Neumann just didn't involve "me" musically, everything is there, rather in two dimensions, it's just not a toe tapping experience. I'll give them another go but after 50 years in a hobby one would like to believe they have an inkling of what works and what doesn't.........hhhhmmm??? :thinking:
Yeah, well I'm not a believer of forcing yourself to appreciate something by throat feeding forcefully a device that doesn't please you in the first place.

I'm about to leave for Colombia for 6 months next friday and I was orignally thinking about bringing my VSX and my Ananda Nano to fullfil my ''on the road'' needs when mixing but I think I'll leave the VSX here and bring the NDH 30 so I can use them to build my rough mixes.

I love front forward mid low sound like what the NDH provide. It is not useful critically but it's engaging to me.

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #3,602 of 4,947
Well as I stated earlier the NDH30 appear to fulfill exactly as they are marketed for, so in that light not a bad set of cans. I just happen to have read more into the impressions expressed here that they may be somewhere between the HD660S2 and HD800S, but from what I'm hearing that is not the case.
Normally I do not do back to back comparisons right from the start but for what ever reason the Neumann just didn't involve "me" musically, everything is there, rather in two dimensions, it's just not a toe tapping experience. I'll give them another go but after 50 years in a hobby one would like to believe they have an inkling of what works and what doesn't.........hhhhmmm??? :thinking:
You just have to go with what works for your ears. Safe to say that many here don’t have your ears or opinion of the NDH 30 😉

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #3,604 of 4,947
Being a sennheiser fanboy I would love to purchase the 800s but it's way over my pay grade.
Some people say in the negative that it sounds like a bose 901.
I believe Rob would know what i mean by that.
Being a former hobbyist boardgame geek guy i could probably sell my "War of the Ring Collectors edition" and get $1500 for it.
Lol

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #3,606 of 4,947
Being a sennheiser fanboy I would love to purchase the 800s but it's way over my pay grade.
I believe Rob would know what i mean by that.
Being a former hobbyist boardgame geek guy i could probably sell my "War of the Ring Collectors edition" and get $1500 for it.
Lol
Do it.

As you pointed, it's a former hobby.

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #3,607 of 4,947
It's a hobby so it's supposed to be above your pay grade, it's called disproportionate spending. :sunglasses:
By no means is it perfect...it's all in the ears of the beholder.
But a far cry from when I 1st got into this hobby so I can appreciate the technicalities, warts and all, as long it still musically engaging. :xf_wink:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #3,608 of 4,947
I have actually heard mixed opinions on the NDH-30 outside this thread from a few people I trust their opinions on. Some loved them and others didn’t care for them. This really makes it a headphone I have to try myself to see if they’re my cup of tea or not as I have no idea if they’re for me or not. I addressed some issues with my system so hoping to give the HD 660S2 (which I liked the sound of a lot) another good listen and try the NDH30. After this I will settle on which of the two I want.

Sep 23, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #3,609 of 4,947
Bottom line if the headphones were to fail no big loss to Neumann/Sennheiser.
Rob, you make some good points, but I think it’s worth pointing out for the sake of counterbalance that, as has recently been said, Neumann have an unrivalled name in professional audio. I think it’s reasonable to assume that there’s no way that a company with the reputation that Neumann enjoys would risk tarnishing that name by entering a product into the professional market that they were indifferent about.

Sep 23, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #3,610 of 4,947
It's a hobby so it's supposed to be above your pay grade, it's called disproportionate spending. :sunglasses:

By no means is it perfect...it's all in the ears of the beholder.
But a far cry from when I 1st got into this hobby so I can appreciate the technicalities, warts and all, as long it still musically engaging. :xf_wink:
Yes that is why most of us use more than 1 headphone. For example my focal elex with the very engaging Rebel amp sounds unreal via classical organ music. Nothing comes close. However there are other forms of music that sound subpar on that combination.

Sep 23, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #3,611 of 4,947
Rob, you make some good points, but I think it’s worth pointing out for the sake of counterbalance that, as has recently been said, Neumann have an unrivalled name in professional audio.
......and You were saying. :sunglasses:
And in any case Rob, since when did you start believing everything that you read on the Internet (except it it’s from me of course) ? 😉

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #3,614 of 4,947
Neumann’s reputation isn’t just a matter of what I’ve read on the internet, in fact Neumann’s reputation preceded the Internet, as I’m sure you know! 😉
Full disclosure...outside, music, painting, photography I've also been in sales marketing so I'm a hard sell (correction) hard to sell to...... :slight_smile:
Relatively speaking, for Neumann, the headphones are a new entry level product, offered more as a convenience than a high end monitoring system and appear to attract a newer and younger clientele. Fait accompli!
Of all that I've been aware of from the start but still curious of what they may have accomplished.
Now that I have been able to hear them on my system with my choice of music, they are ok, IMHO overly polite and a safe listen so don't enter into challenging situations and lack emotional engagement, in that way they are a decent mixing tool giving one an objective view of the recording making editing decisions easier.

Bottom line, (pun intended), no one is questioning the NDH headphone's raison d’être or what they do, just the subjective opinions that have been garnered on this thread, mine included. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #3,615 of 4,947
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back