NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Aug 5, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #1,006 of 2,884
It's bass has been called rolled off time and time again. You don't need to be a basshead to be disappointed in bass rolloff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1LAPgQ8Jqc

My boy Lachlan, who I pretty much always agree with has stated the same here at around 14:30.

Hell, the Koss ESP-950, an electrostatic, not known for being bassy has more bass than these going by the graphs (and I have reviewed them). Among the many headphones I have reviewed.

Just simply stating, that it certainly looks to fail expectations. More an HD600 type headphone, and not a planar one.

Aug 5, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #1,009 of 2,884
Interestingly, the HE400S measurements look exceptionally similar to those of the HD650. I already own the latter, and was considering picking up the 400S, but it looks like it wouldn't really do much to round out my collection.

It looks like the hd650 doesn't have that big of a bass roll off though.

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #1,010 of 2,884
Interestingly, the HE400S measurements look exceptionally similar to those of the HD650. I already own the latter, and was considering picking up the 400S, but it looks like it wouldn't really do much to round out my collection.

Good point. The really do.

I gotta say though, those THD numbers look really, really impressive, especially for a $300 headphone. Nice 300Hz square wave too. I would imagine these are very clean sounding headphones.

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,011 of 2,884

I gotta say though, those THD numbers look really, really impressive, especially for a $300 headphone. Nice 300Hz square wave too. I would imagine these are very clean sounding headphones.
they are a very good sounding pair of phones. They can be used for long listening sessions without any fatigue. They are very comfortable as well. The supplied cable is god awful though. It's only about 4 feet, and very stiff.

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,012 of 2,884

I disagree.

My complaint, if you should call it such, was that the highs also seemed cut-off. I think this was intentional though in the HE400S.
The highs of the HD650 roll off more gently.

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #1,013 of 2,884
they are a very good sounding pair of phones. They can be used for long listening sessions without any fatigue. They are very comfortable as well. The supplied cable is god awful though. It's only about 4 feet, and very stiff.

I think that is precisely the intent. They are meant to be used for long sessions without fatigue.
In that, they are successfully implemented. But I also still do not think they are in the same league as the HD650.

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,014 of 2,884
I think that is precisely the intent. They are meant to be used for long sessions without fatigue.
In that, they are successfully implemented. But I also still do not think they are in the same league as the HD650.
I own both and I agree, but they are very close. The bass is better on the 400s.

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,015 of 2,884

The 400S is very clean sounding. Less ringing on the 300Hz square wave, less distortion in the bass and better impulse response as well.  Not in the same league as the Sennheiser cans.

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,018 of 2,884
You guys want to go by measurements, be my guest. But my ears did not hear any roll-off, and sub-bass is plentiful on here, so unless you're talking sub- 25 hz we have different HE400S's.

And please listen to the freakin' cans before you bash on them from charts, will ya?

On a side note, here's my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he400s/reviews/13706

I had to create a product page for the HE400S because you guys were all yappin' about how bad the roll-off is 
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,019 of 2,884
It's bass has been called rolled off time and time again. You don't need to be a basshead to be disappointed in bass rolloff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1LAPgQ8Jqc

My boy Lachlan, who I pretty much always agree with has stated the same here at around 14:30.

Hell, the Koss ESP-950, an electrostatic, not known for being bassy has more bass than these going by the graphs (and I have reviewed them). Among the many headphones I have reviewed.

Just simply stating, that it certainly looks to fail expectations. More an HD600 type headphone, and not a planar one.

Who else besides for Lachlan said that it's rolled off? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back