New AD823A? any good?
Jun 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

EniGmA1987

Head-Fier
I just got an email today from Analog Devices about some new stuff they have, one of the things was the AD823A op amp. Looking over its specs, it looks decent but maybe a little lacking on the output power. Does anyone have an idea how it might sound? Would it be worth trying out?
http://www.analog.com/en/all-operational-amplifiers-op-amps/operational-amplifiers-op-amps/ad823a/products/product.html

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 3
you want us to predict how a new opamp might sound to you with your ears, when used in ..… and powering … really?

pretty limited swing as you say, but thats about it the 825 is a great chip but I dont think there is any relation get some and try them out. there is a lot more to whether an opamp will work well in a particular design than supply voltage though

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 3
actually its stronger point is the output power, 40mA "linear output" spec and rail-to-rail output swing are very good for "general purpose" op amps

but the graphs show its distortion growing quickly at even moderate laods

the TI OPA164x series is fet input, low distoriton "Sound Plus" series op amp with ~ 1/3 the noise, better THD vs load graphs - but not as good a max output current

if your application needs output current/power then you should look for a chip that is designed for that - AD8397, TPA6120...

I don't "roll" - for "ultimate" performance I design composite/multiloop circuits with the best input and the best output op amp working together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back