New and in need of some assistance with a headphone issue!
Mar 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Coothman

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm new to these forums and have a pretty simple issue. 

I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD595's off amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD595-High-Grade-Premiere-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVE0/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_c

I was looking for a new quality default pair of headphones I could use primarily with my ipod for both around the house and outdoors. 

I just got them in the mail today and opened them up and tried them out along with my new little portable amp and LOD line out cable and so far the quality has been great. I know I'm no expert but they're a huge step up from where I was coming from before. 

So about a half hour into enjoying my music I'm told by my girlfriend that the sound coming from them was quite loud and at first I wasn't surprised as I was rocking out a little hard, but after further inspection I realized that wow these did produce an awful lot of exterior sound and this is my issue.

I love these headphones quality but, I use a lot of public transportation, buses, trains, etc in my daily treks around the city and I hate being that guy on the bus that's filling the whole area with his music. It's not that I'm listening to them at outrageous volumes but it just seems that these produce far too much exterior noise than I'm comfortable with. 

So I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a pair of headphones with similar quality and price that are better at keeping the music contained to just my own ears. Or at least better than these can.

I'd really appreciate any help I could get with this!

Mar 15, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 2
I'd suggest leaving the full-sized cans at home and packing some quality IEMs for on-the-go.

The quality of sound in todays IEMs is really good, and you don't have to go for the flagships to get there.  Also, isolation (both ways) is superior to any full sized headphone, open or closed design.  When you can isolate yourself from outside noise you'll subsequently listen at lower volumes which is much better for your long-term hearing health.

I saw some Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10s for under $200 on Amazon recently.  For triple-driver balanced armatures that's a really good price. I have a pair and I can certainly recommend them but I more strongly recommend researching the various brands/models.

EDIT:  and welcome to Head-Fi :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back