New Audeze LCD3
May 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #5,551 of 11,521
Quote:
Just goes to show how we all have different tastes. I absolutely hated the way the LCD-3 rendered Sinatra's voice. If Sinatra sounds bad...it's a capitol offense to me. Sorry for the lame pun.
tongue_smile.gif

^ One of the worst Sinatra albums you can buy! Horribly mastered.

Pick up Classic Sinatra II. Might not have the best song selection but it sounds much, much better. An even better choice is the Sinatra Capitol Collector's disc. It's cheap and sounds phenomenal.

Quote:
It's a mixed bag but the best collection for the capitol years is the British 21 CD set that looks like a shoe box.  Avoid EVERYTHING that has the name "Bob Norberg" on it UNLESS it also has the name "Ron Furmanek" on it,

I originally posted the "Classic Sinatra" so I'll own the responsibility for clarification, since Bob Norberg is a topic of some controversy amongst Sinatra cognoscenti.

LFF is right - considerable liberties were taken in the remastering of the "Classic Sinatra" album.
Bob Norberg hated the tape hiss present on some of the Capitol first gen masters  - so he used, what were at the time, state-of-the-art techniques to "improve" the remasters.
Half of the processing being performed in the analog domain and half in the digital domain, Bob's thinking was that this would help neutralize the artifacts.
And if Bob Norberg had stopped there things might not have become so controversial.

But Bob Norberg, besides being a professional sound engineer, was also an amateur audio enthusiast and a DIY hobbiest and he created his own "special circuits" for performing audio enhacements.
Bob was notorious for "widening" the sound of mono masters to create a pseudo-stero effect by running the mono track through two equalizers with the left and right EQ set opposite of each other.  
Bob also believed that some of the original Sinatra recordings were mis-miked, thereby placing Frank too far forward; so Bob would tinker with the soundstage to create a more realisitc spatial match between Frank and his orchestra.
Some folks think that Nelson Riddle, knowing full well where Frank and the orchestra would be within the sound stage, wrote the arrangements taking this into consideration and delivered onto the original Capitol masters the artistic result intended.
No mucking about necessary, thank you.

However, not everyone universally derides Norberg's efforts:
  1. http://www.sinatra.com/store/music/classic-sinatra-his-greatest-performances-1953-1960
  2. http://www.dartblog.com/data/2006/03/005236.php
  3. Not even everyone at sinatrafamily.com or stevehoffman.tv - multiple links available
  4. Go look at the Amazon reviews for Sinatra albums - the album we're discussing is one of Amazon's top three rated Sinatra albums, along with "Sinatra at the Sands" and "September of My Years".

MP3 snippets are available at many of these sites and you can listen and decide for yourself.

I've had the pleasure and the privilege of meeting LFF.
He is a thoughtful and well informed observer of Jazz.
He's also cares deeply about proper audio mastering.
And I admire his zeal for artistic and audiophile integrity as well as his considerable collection of Jazz recordings, many of the finest available.

I'm neither a Bob Norberg apologist (honestly don't think his body of work represents the very best available) nor an LFF critic (respect him greatly and prefer his listening preferences) - just saying that there's more to the story and the devil's in the details.

If pressed to make a personal recommendation - here's the Frank that I listen to most often - and this one is notably a Ron Furmanek effort.

BTW - just to keep the post on topic, I do like the sound of Frank's voice on both LCD-3v1 and LCD-3v1.5
T.

May 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #5,552 of 11,521
May 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #5,553 of 11,521
Quote:
Mine came in today. Grand total of 6 bucks to my door. Really glad to have some Sinatra again. Ripping it now. It'll get some head time tonight for sure.

Same here, got the disk for 3 bucks. Shipping about 3 bucks. Weird thing is that the disk comes from some recycling management place in Kentucky. 
biggrin.gif

Oh...1500 posts now. Now I'm a phony headphoneus.

May 8, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #5,554 of 11,521
At Macedonian Hero's recommendation, I sent my LCD-3 to Audeze to have them revised to the current version.  Audeze agreed to do this under warranty, as they have been doing for others (I had purchased the review sample following my review last fall).  Mine were a very early pair, which I had not ever found to have any "veil", and which I though sounded excellent.

Without having the two back to back to compare, it's very difficult to assess the changes.  Whatever may have changed, in my opinion it is very subtle versus the pair that I had before.  I find the revised pair to sound excellent as well.  I do think it's possible that there is a little more treble energy in the new pair, but again, without being able to compare them, level matched, side by side, I find the sonic signature to be very similar to my original pair.  But I am glad to know that I have the most current version, for all the reasons documented in this thread.

Also, I gave my LCD-2 to my Dad for XMas, so I no longer have those to compare them to (just in case anyone were to ask
wink.gif
)

May 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #5,555 of 11,521
I found the differences very subtle on my LCD-3 pre and post-RMA as well. Overall, my pair came back sounding less thick (or "lush") and slightly more clear and open. Details seem to jump out a bit more, though overall I'd still characterize the sound as relaxed compared to many of my other headphones. Personally, I like both versions of the LCD-3 I've had, but then I'm a fan of the LCD-2 rev. 1.

May 8, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #5,556 of 11,521
Quote:
I found the differences very subtle on my LCD-3 pre and post-RMA as well. Overall, my pair came back sounding less thick (or "lush") and slightly more clear and open. Details seem to jump out a bit more, though overall I'd still characterize the sound as relaxed compared to many of my other headphones.

I'd say I agree completely with all of that.

May 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #5,559 of 11,521
Quote:
Is it confirmed that there is a new driver?? I have read a lot of speculation on this, but not anything offical..

When my LCD-3 were returned from RMA, Audez'e told me that they installed drivers from the newest "batch." They did not indicate that the drivers had been redesigned or changed in any way.

Reading between the lines in Audez'e's statements about manufacturing inconsistencies in their drivers, I believe they either instituted improved QC procedures with their manufacturer or changed driver manufacturers entirely. But I do not believe that post-RMA LCD-3s have a "new" driver in the way that the LCD-2.2 had a new driver vs. the 2.1.

I acknowledge that this falls in the "unofficial" category until it is confirmed.

May 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #5,561 of 11,521
Quote:
Is it confirmed that there is a new driver?? I have read a lot of speculation on this, but not anything offical..

I'm sorry.  Try as I might, it seems it's almost impossible to word my posts carefully enough.  The drivers are new to MY PAIR, that is all I know.  I have no clue what Audeze driver revs are.  I have edited my original post, sorry for any confusion.

May 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #5,562 of 11,521
Nah - don't take it that way 
wink.gif
 Careful wording is boring......

I'm sorry.  Try as I might, it seems it's almost impossible to word my posts carefully enough.  The drivers are new to MY PAIR, that is all I know.  I have no clue what Audeze driver revs are.  I have edited my original post, sorry for any confusion.

Quote:

It's official:

Old Driver....

New Driver...

^  I find the old driver more appealing... 

May 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #5,563 of 11,521
From purrin's measurements I'm pretty sure it's just an issue with tensioning the diaphragm properly.  It seems that if the diaphragm is too loose the sound is veiled, if it's too tight the diaphragm tears and fails, so the tension has to be just right.

May 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #5,564 of 11,521
Good theory.
Quote:
From purrin's measurements I'm pretty sure it's just an issue with tensioning the diaphragm properly.  It seems that if the diaphragm is too loose the sound is veiled, if it's too tight the diaphragm tears and fails, so the tension has to be just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back