New Audeze "Prototype-Z"!
Jan 23, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #361 of 455
  Clearly comfort is an issue with many users who have tried or owned Audeze headphones.  I don't think there would be hundreds of posts on HF regarding Audeze HPs being uncomfortable if that wasn't the case. 

I don't see how letting somebody with neck problems know that the Audeze are comfortable for you contributes to anything.  Just because somebody says something negative about a headphone you own doesn't mean they're saying something negative about you.

Take a deep breath and re-read my posts in their entirety. I never even said they where comfortable for that matter. 
rolleyes.gif
 But the 10 minutes (turns out was hyperbole) was what first drew my tongue in cheek post. Again, we're talking about 200g (a whopping 7oz for you non-metric folks) here...not 10-20lbs. 
wink.gif
 Now this case was unique and I can appreciate/understand his issues...but for the vast majority whether they find them comfortable or not (I'm neutral here as I find them neither), 10 minute limits are just that...for special cases.

Had the comments been they are uncomfortable, cool. Nothing is one-size fits all. While I said, the weight never bothered me, I also clearly stated it never impressed me either. I'm with Rob (Skylab) here...while I don't find the LCD-X/whatever uncomfortable, I also don't find them comfortable either. There are several other headphones I can put into this category that I've owned or own now.  I wish my SR007s pulled down more for those of us with larger heads, nothing is perfect.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #363 of 455

??????

On my head, they're fine....not HD800 or TH900 comfortable (definitely not), but fine...i.e. not uncomfortable, nor comfortable for that matter (which I better clarified later). 

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #364 of 455
I actually find the LCD-2 comfortable. Yeah it's heavy-er than others, but we're talking about just 100-290 grams heavier here.

Look at it this way, it will make your neck stronger! If it doesn't, your neck has a problem getting stronger! I'm smiling while I typed that...not angry at all...:D

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #365 of 455
  Cheers! That's exactly what it was, "a colorful plea". At least you understood what I was expressing. 
beerchug.gif

My comments were more in general to some who've had similar comments that they (along with the Hifiman orthos) were unbearable in the past and threw in some of my own hyperbole. Sorry to hear about your Lyme issues. We've got a close family friend with Lyme, hopefully governments take this illness more seriously. All the best! 

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #366 of 455
The reported uncomfortability of the Audeze's has been throwing me off them in the past, but the Z's are looking nice. Besides, my Bakoon is ready to kick some butt for the 1200 ohm load.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #367 of 455
The reported uncomfortability of the Audeze's has been throwing me off them in the past, but the Z's are looking nice. Besides, my Bakoon is ready to kick some butt for the 1200 ohm load.

Zs looking nice? There's a prototype already? I missed it, in this thread?

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #368 of 455
  Well look, I wasn't saying that for just no reason. When I said "unable for more than 10 minutes" I meant it. It really IS too much for me to handle reasonably, at that point I notice the pain in my neck joints more than I'm able to take in the beautiful sound radiating from these beauties. Occasionally I'm able tolerate more, like 20-30 minutes. It seems to accumulate though, the first day I wore them I made it an hour or so, but it's like my neck is never able to build up strength. (I also have Chronic lyme disease) So anyway, I'm not a normal case and I'm talking severe neck challenges that I've seen many, many doctors for.. and I know it's hard to get a headphone as light as the HD650, or even the HD800, but after you go past 300 grams every bit seems to really make a difference for me. I can wear the HD650 about an hour longer than the HD800, just because of the 80 gram difference, and when you're up to 600g with the LCD-X, well it takes its toll on me. 

But I'm not just a troll or over exaggerating, that really is my experience.. and I wish it weren't so. But hey, I'll take what I can get.. if I could get a 400 gram LCD-X I'd be thrilled. And I don't mean to derail the thread either, I just wanted to express my hopes for a future Audeze in case they were listening. 
smile.gif

The new Audeze EL-8 (open or closed) is possibly a good match for you then. According to some reviewers they are near LCD-X/LCD-XC level in terms of audio quality, and they are 460g (open) or 480g (closed).

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #369 of 455

My comments were more in general to some who've had similar comments that they (along with the Hifiman orthos) were unbearable in the past and threw in some of my own hyperbole. Sorry to hear about your Lyme issues. We've got a close family friend with Lyme, hopefully governments take this illness more seriously. All the best! 

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate that. 

I understand that. And look, sound quality is of the utmost importance to me as well--and that's why I care so much, because I want to hear them. And for that one negative that I have towards the LCD-X, I have 10 more positive things to say about them. It just so happens that the one negative(discomfort), limits my ability to enjoy the 10 positives(bass, transparency, quality, easy on the ears, etc.)

I'll still recommend them to others and regard them highly for their sound. And I will also mention the weight to those I recommend it to, because even the healthy friends and family that have gotten to try on my LCD-X felt they were heavy. And frankly if Audeze said, "Hey look, we can't make them lighter and still have them sound that good" well... that's that.
But if Audeze could, I'm advocating that they should.. and it wouldn't help just little sick me, it would help all of those who desire comfortable, long listening sessions. Where all you feel, is the music. And I think they understand that and I would bet they're working on it. Because when I looked for advice on Head-Fi, as to which Flagship I should buy between the HD800 and the LCD-X, most recommended the HD800. I mentioned my neck challenges and most all steered me away from the Audeze because of weight. Now, honestly I was infatuated with the LCD-X and all those raving reviews, so I ended up buying it anyway...
cool.gif
 but I also traded it for that very reason. 
frown.gif

I think it's a great idea for them to improve on the comfort, because that improves accessibility. And in my mind, the more access people have to that Audeze sound, the merrier.. because ultimately, I'm an Audeze fan. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #370 of 455
well, I think we can all agree that the current Audeze headphone's comfort levels definitely have for improvement (overall weight, weight distribution, ergonomics, headband design). how important that Audeze makes comfort improvements just depends on whether you find them uncomfortable or not. there are people who have absolutely no comfort issues & people who do have issues. whether their current design is tolerable for longer listening sessions is a personal thing & there is no reason to argue about it.

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #371 of 455

The new Audeze EL-8 (open or closed) is possibly a good match for you then. According to some reviewers they are near LCD-X/LCD-XC level in terms of audio quality, and they are 460g (open) or 480g (closed).

Yeah thank you for bringing that up, that's true. And I guess at 19, I could still take a high school senior(EL-8).. but then again, I miss my college sweetheart(LCD-X). You know she was my fiance?
rolleyes.gif
 I must've forgotten to send you guys an invitation to the wedding.. 

Sigh... time to go listen to U2's With or Without You because that's about how I feel right now. "I can't live with or without you... Oh I can't liiiiiiiive with or without" my Audeze LCD-ex-fiance. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #372 of 455
Zs looking nice? There's a prototype already? I missed it, in this thread?

Isn't the prototype the one shown in the pictures of this very thread? Anyway, I think it's safe to assume LCD -Z is going to look more or less like any other Audeze, save for EL-8.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #374 of 455
What's the deal with single-sided magnets?

Yeah, what's the trade off for that lighter weight? IM guessing less impactful bass? Single sided magnets sound "bloated" or "boardy" to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back