NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Jan 30, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #2,041 of 2,077
Well, I don't know, but it appears that the BTW5 is working pretty well now with the Beoplay H95. Static only once in a while on aptX HQ with my 2023 MBP M2. Funny thing about this is that back in the 70s, I couldn't stand the static and popping on my LPs. I would work so hard with Discwasher to try to clean the albums, but to little avail. With the advent of CDs that problem left. Now, 50 years later, the static is back. At least I can say I'm a static veteran. Been to that rodeo before. By the way, the H95 sounds wonderful with aptX.:)

Jan 30, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #2,042 of 2,077
I don't know again, but I'm trying the Sennheiser BDT 600 with the Beoplay H95, and I'm getting very clear, enhanced sound on the purple setting (which signifies aptX) with my MBP. No pops or static with this one. Don't know for sure if it's 96khz, but it sure sounds good. Beoplay volume is significantly better as well. I'm happy with it. No noise.

Update: Looks from Audirvana as if it is playing at 96Khz. My Beoplays are singing right now. Tremendous.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #2,043 of 2,077
Tried the BT W5 with Mark Levinson 5909. Absolutely incredible sound. No pops or clicks. No distortion whatsoever. I suspecting the pop click thing with the H95 has something to do with the Beoplay app. Or else it's a hardware issue with the H95. Sounds a whole lot better with the BT W5 though. I have to say that. Also, I have the Beoplay app set to Optimal. If I move my MBP M2 away a bit, the static lessens.
Beoplay H95 works great with BTD 600. Perhaps a Creative issue then at least with the H95

Jan 31, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #2,044 of 2,077
Have just ordered the BTD 600 from Amazon - I'll test it against the BT-W4 and W5 and let you know how I get on. The joy of listening to CDs instead of vinyl was freedom from pops and clicks, especially with quiet piano music. Let's hope Sennheiser have the solution

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #2,046 of 2,077
Very pleased to say that after a week of testing the BTD 600, I am delighted with the result! No more crackle and pops on my MacBook Pro and the volume is better. I still have some moments when the sound just disappears.

Switching to the iPad Pro gives a better listening experience with no interruptions whatsoever.

Only one criticism. Whilst playing audio, you can switch between SBC and AptX Adaptive codecs by pressing the button at the end of the dongle. The LED is supposed to glow blue in SBC and pink in AptX. However, both colours seem off-white to me - a blue-white and a pink-white, which makes it hard to tell which mode I am in. I am red-green colour blind so perhaps this is clearer for those with perfect colour vision! I can't see why they couldn't use stronger colours.

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #2,047 of 2,077
I couldn't tell at first if the color was white or pink (they describe it as purple). It is pinkish for aptX. The color is not very intense at all. Excited though to be able to use the beoplay H95 with my MBP. It is now a completely different headphone. No disappearing sound for me so far.

Feb 17, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #2,048 of 2,077
Have just received a 7 week „old“ set of H95s in Navy Blue. Basically brand new with no signs of wear usage, not a single scratch on the headphone. Same for the aluminum case.

A guy nearby sold it for 550€ with an extra hard shell case, too. He bought them at the end of December brand new for 899€ (original receipt included), so I‘m very pleased with the deal to say the least.

Will be testing these now :)

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #2,049 of 2,077
I received a set of Sennheiser Moment 4 Wireless headphones to review for Amazon Vine, earlier this week. For the money, I was impressed by the sound quality, especially when paired with the BTD 600 dongle. There was no point in comparing with the H95s as they are in a different price bracket so I listened almost exclusively to the Sennheiser for the past 4 years. Tonight I went back the H95 via the same BTD 600 dongle, whilst listening to the AC/DC Essentials playlist on Apple Music in Hi-Res Lossless. Huge difference in sound quality and it was also a pleasure to enjoy the H95's stunning build quality from all premium materials. Amazon do sell H95s but haven't put any on to their Amazon Vine programme so far!

Feb 25, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #2,050 of 2,077
So, I have been using these for a good week now. Love the build quality and the design and they are also quite comfortable for me. They work great wirelessly on the iPhone (13 Pro Max) and on the MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021) WHEN using the internal bluetooth system (so basically AAC only). No stutter or hickups. A little bit on the "quiet" side in comparison to the PX8 e.g. but still enough most of the time. They also sound great wired (3.5mm) when directly plugged into my MacBook. No complaints there at all. I've got a very new model as well (built in November 2023 it says on the package).

However, it's a different picture when using an AptX Adaptive dongle. I tried two of these: Creative BT-W5 and Sennheiser BTD 600. Both stutter, crackle, pop. Sometimes more, sometimes less. The Sennheiser was worse than the W5, actually. I haven't tried the BTD 600 before updating it to the latest firmware, though, unfortunately (the one that enabled the 24bit/92 khz feature) - so don't know if it would have been better without that specific update, apparently.

I would LOVE to use these headphones with one of the two dongles. The sound is much better and louder compared to the AAC bluetooth of the iPhone and the Mac but the way it is now, I just cannot stand the crackles and stutters. Such a shame, sadly. I've tried turning off Bluetooth already, resetted the headphones, restarted the devices and the dongles, changed audio settings in "Audio-MIDI-setup" on the Mac accordingly but to no real avail, yet.

Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #2,051 of 2,077
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the BT600. I get a clear response without any clicks or pops on the H95 on a 2023 MBP M2.. I didn't know about any update on the BT600, but I'm getting 96khz on Audirvana. The BT W5 was a real bust for me even with the H95 set to optimal. I still got the popping there occasionally. You are getting the purple indicator color on the BT600 showing aptX? First you get a white indicator, then it shifts to pink/purple when connected by Bluetooth. Maybe try a second BT600. The BT600 should work well. Keep trying.

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #2,052 of 2,077
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the BT600. I get a clear response without any clicks or pops on the H95 on a 2023 MBP M2.. I didn't know about any update on the BT600, but I'm getting 96khz on Audirvana. The BT W5 was a real bust for me even with the H95 set to optimal. I still got the popping there occasionally. You are getting the purple indicator color on the BT600 showing aptX? First you get a white indicator, then it shifts to pink/purple when connected by Bluetooth. Maybe try a second BT600. The BT600 should work well. Keep trying.
Could you check whether there is an update available to your BTD600? There‘s a small updater app for Windows and Mac that Sennheiser provides. That could be really helpful.

And yes the light indicator is/was purple on both the W5 and the BTD600.

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #2,053 of 2,077

Could you check whether there is an update available to your BTD600? There‘s a small updater app for Windows and Mac that Sennheiser provides. That could be really helpful.

And yes the light indicator is/was purple on both the W5 and the BTD600.

I have just checked the Sennheiser Website page for the BTD 600. There is no sign of any firmware updates on the download page
https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-UK/download/

and the dedicated page for BTD 600 updates gives a 404 error! https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/btd-600/

I bought my BTD 600 from Amazon on 1st February so the returns window closes at the end of the week. Perhaps the best option is just to return it and see if a new one will fare better.

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #2,054 of 2,077
I have just checked the Sennheiser Website page for the BTD 600. There is no sign of any firmware updates on the download page
https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-UK/download/

and the dedicated page for BTD 600 updates gives a 404 error! https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/btd-600/

I bought my BTD 600 from Amazon on 1st February so the returns window closes at the end of the week. Perhaps the best option is just to return it and see if a new one will fare better.
This is the link:

https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/btd600-license-agreement/

Scroll down, then you can find the download link :) Thanks again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back