New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Aug 30, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #2,686 of 3,925
I own a T1.1 but in the past I had a similar sound issue with mine, I started the headphone journey with an ASUS Xonar ST and the T1.1 and it would sound weak (obviously in hindsight) I used to boost the 30Hz range and dip the highs. In busy tracks there was a blurring a harshness.

I the bought a LDMK11 and over a short time got the C3G tubes, I still needed to boost the bass but leaving the high frequencies alone now. There was still an harshness in busy tracks.

The LDMK11 found synergy with the Takstar Pro82 that is some combo for little money it stopped me from using the T1.1.

I bought the Audio-GD R2R11, a totally different story now with the T1.1, EQ off, a smooth non fatiguing sound the bass is so good now the highs are perfect, vocalists sound like they are here with me there is front to back 3d layering and side to side imaging that is just spot on and I can not make the headphone sound harsh even with crappy recordings. I have found what I was looking for when I bought these all the years ago.

DAC/AMP makes all the difference for all drivers there is a perfect match I think.

Aug 30, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #2,687 of 3,925
Those are different headphones.
Keep in mind HD800S has less bass and less treble sparkle than T1 (2nd Gen) and it's also drier sounding overall.

Those who find the T1 (2nd Gen) too analytical or even lacking bass tend to prefer DT1990, so you get the idea.

HD800S and DT1990 have a considerably different type of sound.
I agree completely.
The HD800's sound completely different to both the T1.2, and the DT1990.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #2,688 of 3,925
By your description, It sounds like the T1 is the can I should try versus the HD 800... but I do have a OTL amp and that defiantely makes Senns way more liquid and bloomy. Id imagine thats what it would to with a 800s, and it seems by testimony that is infact what it does according to owners of the 800Ss who pair them with OTL amps. Id consider the Clear, but since I have the Crack, Im figuring Id get better synergy with the higher impedence cans, and on top of that save $$$ not buying another amp.

Hows them k812s?

The high output impedance of the Crack boosts the midbass on both T1 and HD800S. Since HD800S has a lower impedance it gets more boost than the T1 but even then T1.2 will still have more of it.

K812 is a different beast. More forward and tool-like signature. Very good headphone for pristine recordings and critical listening at moderate levels. Despite being relatively sensitive it's a lower impedance headphone and needs more power than HD800S and T1.2, so it's not a very wise match for an OTL amplifier.

To my ears, the T1 is a better all rounder overall.

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #2,689 of 3,925
The high output impedance of the Crack boosts the midbass on both T1 and HD800S. Since HD800S has a lower impedance it gets more boost than the T1 but even then T1.2 will still have more of it.

K812 is a different beast. More forward and tool-like signature. Very good headphone for pristine recordings and critical listening at moderate levels. Despite being relatively sensitive it's a lower impedance headphone and needs more power than HD800S and T1.2, so it's not a very wise match for an OTL amplifier.

To my ears, the T1 is a better all rounder overall.
Thanks for the response!

Aug 31, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #2,690 of 3,925
Hey guys, it's been a while that some really interesting reviews from this man "Stanley Foote" on amazon has engaged my mind by quite different approach and insight that is in contrast to the majority. I thought it's good to share it and have the experts opinion here specifically about the term of "Transparency". How would you prioritize HD800 - T1 - DT1990 in transparency and detail retrieval? Please take a look at the links below...

The link to the review of DT1990: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2UHVOSDD0JU00?ref=pf_vv_at_pdctrvw_srp

The link to the review of LCD-4 (with reply from Audeze representative in the comment): https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2I97MVTXK0WZN?ref=pf_vv_at_pdctrvw_srp

Aug 31, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #2,691 of 3,925
Hey guys, it's been a while that some really interesting reviews from this man "Stanley Foote" on amazon has engaged my mind by quite different approach and insight that is in contrast to the majority. I thought it's good to share it and have the experts opinion here specifically about the term of "Transparency". How would you prioritize HD800 - T1 - DT1990 in transparency and detail retrieval? Please take a look at the links below...

The link to the review of DT1990: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2UHVOSDD0JU00?ref=pf_vv_at_pdctrvw_srp

The link to the review of LCD-4 (with reply from Audeze representative in the comment): https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2I97MVTXK0WZN?ref=pf_vv_at_pdctrvw_srp

I've seen his reviews. They are interesting, not sure if I agree or disagree with him, though I seem to agree with him more than not, he seems to get it when it comes to actual transducer fidelity better than most. Though I have to say the most transparent headphones I've ever owned are the DT 480 - 25 Ohm (which I modded), they offer a level of detail, imaging, speed, and coherency that not even the T1.2 can achieve. Believe it or not the soundstage is larger on my closed DT 480 than the T1.2. The DT 480 is my benchmark headphone.

6F4CF1C8-6A5A-4423-AF1C-150E47A983B9.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #2,692 of 3,925
Sitting here listening to Beatles remastered Rubber Soul and its sounding great IMO!

Been reading some of the posts and have seen this over and over throughout the years about some songs being great and others being crap.
Some want their hps to fix all this and make anything they feed into them to sound "great:....

IMO its never going to happen....even in the same album with all the differences in studios, mixing, mastering etc....just not going to happen IMO....
(Unless the recording industry sets a standard for all recording....do it this way or not....IMO still never happening.)

Seeking the most "neutral" source ---> amplification path has always been important to me.....once that is "great" I look for very well recorded and mastered stuff...
This is the hard part.....

If your hp's make stuff sound good on some tunes and terrible on others well its most likely your source, not the cans.....again IMO..

So many people chase the ultimate all around solution and well.....but to be disappointed that some stuff sounds good and other stuff sounds not so good.

I go back and forth between T1's and Senn 600's and boy are they different, both good, but both have their worts.....

Both present a nice listening environment...and I do like some tunes on one vs the other....

The one thing that is paramount with the 2nd gen T1 is amplification.....I have 10 amps here and 2-3 of them make the T1's shine with the best of them.

The others are mediocre.....but they work well with the lower impedance hps....

So before you throw you T1's out...you owe it to yourself to try them on a decent amp with know reference material that is well recorded and mastered...

I think you will be surprised.....

Alex

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #2,693 of 3,925
The one thing that is paramount with the 2nd gen T1 is amplification.....I have 10 amps here and 2-3 of them make the T1's shine with the best of them.
Would you mind telling us what amps make the T1 shine ? Thanks

Sep 2, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,694 of 3,925
Sitting here listening to Beatles remastered Rubber Soul and its sounding great IMO!

Been reading some of the posts and have seen this over and over throughout the years about some songs being great and others being crap.
Some want their hps to fix all this and make anything they feed into them to sound "great:....

IMO its never going to happen....even in the same album with all the differences in studios, mixing, mastering etc....just not going to happen IMO....
(Unless the recording industry sets a standard for all recording....do it this way or not....IMO still never happening.)

Seeking the most "neutral" source ---> amplification path has always been important to me.....once that is "great" I look for very well recorded and mastered stuff...
This is the hard part.....

If your hp's make stuff sound good on some tunes and terrible on others well its most likely your source, not the cans.....again IMO..

So many people chase the ultimate all around solution and well.....but to be disappointed that some stuff sounds good and other stuff sounds not so good.

I go back and forth between T1's and Senn 600's and boy are they different, both good, but both have their worts.....

Both present a nice listening environment...and I do like some tunes on one vs the other....

The others are mediocre.....but they work well with the lower impedance hps....

So before you throw you T1's out...you owe it to yourself to try them on a decent amp with know reference material that is well recorded and mastered...

I think you will be surprised.....

Alex

I listened to "Revolver" und "Rubber Soul" too with the T1s. And to all other Beatles Albums. The T1s were incredible good with McCartney-Ballads like "Here there and everywhere", "Martha My dear" or "Fool on the Hill". They sucked noodles with "And your Bird can sing" or "Tomorow Never Knows". They shone with "Got to get you into my life" and were ugly with "Norwegian wood" or "Revolution". Maybe they just love Paul mcCartney lol?

Seriousely: I stand by my assertion, that the T1, 2nd gen are VERY picky not only with source material, but also with amplification. Too picky in my opinion. As I said before: I can forgive, if HEadphones only sound passable or good on certrain amps and shine on others. But the T1s did not seem passable or even good with most music. And I repeat myself: I did not plug them into a cheap smartphone or PC, but into the headphone jack of a really good amp, fed by losless streaming, flacs and LPs. And they were nbot enjoyable with 90 percent of the music.

Sep 2, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #2,695 of 3,925
Hmmm...knowing what have experienced your receiver's "headphone" jack seems most likely suspect in this.....I would like to examine its schematic....do you have one??

There are many owners of the T1's with a wide variety of amps that have a very different experience compared to what you have experienced....

Alex

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #2,696 of 3,925
Amps that I have used that work very well with Beyers are the Bottlehead Crack with the Speedball upgrade, the Bottlehead Mainline, Schitt Vahalla 2, Beyer A20, Beyer A2, Woo Audio WA6SE, Feliks Elise.....all superb...

Alex

Sep 4, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #2,698 of 3,925
Would you mind telling us what amps make the T1 shine ? Thanks
I use my T1.2's with both a Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, and also a Chord Hugo TT. Both work perfectly, and both provide the Beyers with plenty of power and sound sublime.

Sep 4, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #2,699 of 3,925
I have several SS amps that work well, but most of these are DIY builds to see how some of the latest TI chips (made specifically for headphone use) to see how they worked in references circuits...(OPA 1688s'). Also I have built a Desktop O2 or ODA amp that has twice the current capability of the original O2...its one of the SS amps that drive the T1's with authority and sounds very clinical, accurate quie different from the tube amps....one might like this better??

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back