New Dac/Amp or just DAC for HD598s
Nov 19, 2014 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

RazerDuos

New Head-Fier
I recently bought Fiio E17 as a value Amp/Dac combo but when i used it i realized that it was not in my taste.
I dont mean that its a bad Dac but my 598s lost the entire airiness they had which i was loving though....so i am looking to Buy a New One

I mostly listen songs from Calvin Harris (Summer,Blame) , Ed Sheeran ( Sing , Dont )
some Maroon 5 , Imagine Dragon Etc

*About 200$ would be nice :p 

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 13
  I recently bought Fiio E17 as a value Amp/Dac combo but when i used it i realized that it was not in my taste.
I don't mean that its a bad Dac but my 598s lost the entire airiness they had which i was loving though....so i am looking to Buy a New One

I mostly listen songs from Calvin Harris (Summer,Blame) , Ed Sheeran ( Sing , Dont )
some Maroon 5 , Imagine Dragon Etc

*About 200$ would be nice :p 

What other sources have you plugged the HD598s directly into?
What sources have you plugged the E17 into?

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 13
  598s directly to the headphones port on E17 and i connect the E17 through Optical with Asus Xonar DX (s/pdif port)

Return the FiiO E17 and get a Bravo Ocean tube amplifier.
Plug the Ocean directly into the the Xonar DX.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 13
  Not so sure its a tube amp...and has a High Output Impedance which I don't think i find myself Like :/

What about Schiit products or JDSlabs?

I believe the Bravo Ocean is a hybrid amplifier and I do not believe there will be an impedance issue with the 50-Ohm HD598.
And right now now the ocean is selling for a really good price.
I've heard other talk about how a tube amp opens up the sound of their headphones.
But if your just not interested in it, ok.

I'm not sure how much a difference the Schiit amplifiers (Magni) or JDSlabs O2 would have over the E17.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 13

I believe the Bravo Ocean is a hybrid amplifier and I do not believe there will be an impedance issue with the 50-Ohm HD598.
And right now now the ocean is selling for a really good price.
I've heard other talk about how a tube amp opens up the sound of their headphones.
But if your just not interested in it, ok.

I'm not sure how much a difference the Schiit amplifiers (Magni) or JDSlabs O2 would have over the E17.

Am not complaining about your suggestions its totally fine and am thankfull of them cause am a newbie in sound soo i just mention what i am reading on blogs etc :)

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 13
  Am not complaining about your suggestions its totally fine and am thankfull of them cause am a newbie in sound soo i just mention what i am reading on blogs etc :)

Which blogs, I'm always looking for new sources of discussions and reviews on headphone amplifiers.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 13
I had HD 598 with Schiit Modi/Vali combo and it was fantastic despite some microphonics. I suggest Schiit Modi/Magni. It's way better than the Nuforce u-dac 2 I had first, plus the amp will add some kick to the bottom end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back