New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #376 of 1,181
I strogly recommend you to try ML 5909. These tick both music and mic quality for me. Comfort isn't the best, but good enough after some use when clamping force becomes lighter (Bose QC are better, Px8 are somewhat similar though ymmv due to different inner space shape), so that I can wear 'em whole day (like 12-14hrs) with no issues.
If they don't have music playing but ANC is on do you hear static/hissing? That (and the way they look a bit) stopped me from trying them out.

If you really value the sound quality, the comfort and unique user experience (playback buttons) of the iO-12, then my strong suggestion is that you maybe buying the new Bose QC Ultra for work situations and trips by plane maybe, a headphone that is excellent in many respects...including very good sound, by the way.

I tried them. I thought they were pretty comfortable, but they don't have working side tone during calls (which is a must for me, maybe a firmware update will fix it). They have latency too when wired w/ 3.5mm which made my QC 35 II Gaming USB DAC (that has side tone built in) work with delay which was torture. And yea, I've considered having two sets of headphones, but I'd really like to find one that works... simpler. If I were to do that I may just get a QC 2023, but the bluetooth audio pops on that are painful. Can't have it connected to more than one device at once.

Jan 13, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #378 of 1,181
The sound of new (unused) headphones may change over the course of the first 150 - 200 (300) hours of operation. It may be less detailed or darker (70 - 130 hours used) compared to the first listen. During this period of time, you may not even like the sound of the headphones and you may have doubts about their further use (purchase). Give them time and they will show you what they are capable of. In this context, we must also remember that the Dali iO-12 has internal electronics, which also require warmed up. A final and objective judgment on the sound reproduction of headphones can only be made after they have been used (warmed up).
I wonder whether there are any published measurements / graphs to back up such personal experience about burn-in? Or maybe measurements will not be sensitive enough anyway? Another thing is that I wonder whether bluetooth is really worse than cable in a measurable way, or at least whether people are able to distinguish bluetooth from cable connection in a blind comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #379 of 1,181
If you really value the sound quality, the comfort and unique user experience (playback buttons) of the iO-12, then my strong suggestion is that you maybe buying the new Bose QC Ultra for work situations and trips by plane maybe, a headphone that is excellent in many respects...including very good sound, by the way.
That is my plan. Whether it's the IO-12 or ML 5909, they are not ideal for travel due to size and not quite as good ANC.

I strogly recommend you to try ML 5909. These tick both music and mic quality for me. Comfort isn't the best, but good enough after some use when clamping force becomes lighter (Bose QC are better, Px8 are somewhat similar though ymmv due to different inner space shape), so that I can wear 'em whole day (like 12-14hrs) with no issues.
It is true that my ML 5909 are excellent for Zoom. As someone who does live Zoom workshops for 300 people, mic quality is important, and ML 5909 will not let you down.

Jan 13, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #380 of 1,181
If they don't have music playing but ANC is on do you hear static/hissing? That (and the way they look a bit) stopped me from trying them out.
Yes, I do hear slight hiss when ANC is on and no music is being played. However not as near as on Bose QC Ultra, with the latter it was quite bothering experience.
Totally understand aesthetic side of the question :)

I personally use Momentum 4 for train commutes and further office duties. Do that rarely, so comfort-wise they are acceptable. And I figured out I cannot live without M4s double tap feature (Quiet<->Aware + Smart Pause) when on-the-go. The runners-up were Bose QC and QC Ultras. QC have some multipoint issues (and mic in my case), QC Ultra have terrible ergonomics (controls), both don't work when on charge (showstopper for mobile heaphones imo).

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #381 of 1,181
I wonder whether there are any published measurements / graphs to back up such personal experience about burn-in? Or maybe measurements will not be sensitive enough anyway? Another thing is that I wonder whether bluetooth is really worse that cable in a measurable way, or at least whether people are able to distinguish bluetooth from cable connection in a blind comparison.

Tyll, probably the more top, if not one of the more top, reputable reviewers of headphones, several years ago doing measurements about the effects of burn-in. His results are that in the vast majority of cases is NOT a difference in the measurements, and when he seeing a difference, the difference is so small that is really negligible, not really audible for human ears.

In my long experience with headphones and earphones, I hearing NO difference after many, many hours of burn-in. The difference I hearing is dependant of other variables, specially 'brain burn-in' (becoming accustomed to a headphone), and some others variables that are simple and maybe even strange or silly but still real variables that majority of people are completely not aware of or ignorant of their existence (but not relating to electronics or measurements).

That is my plan. Whether it's the IO-12 or ML 5909, they are not ideal for travel due to size and not quite as good ANC.

Yes, this is personal with every person, but my surprise is that the iO-12 is really very adequate for travelling (but not so good like the ST still).

It is true that my ML 5909 are excellent for Zoom. As someone who does live Zoom workshops for 300 people, mic quality is important, and ML 5909 will not let you down.

This is why I'm not doing Zoom workshops for 300 people anymore! :) (joking. I'm not envying you!)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #383 of 1,181
Are you all using your Dalis with specific DAPs or just your phones?

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #385 of 1,181
I have the HD800 not the HD800S that is supposing being a little improvement of the now legendary HD800. The treble peak in the HD800 is becoming a little problematic for me when I turning volume up (and I'm someone that generally don't listening very loud to music).

For me the tonal balance of the iO-12 is better than the HD800, with the mids and treble, particularly, being so right in the iO-12 in comparison with the excellent HD800.
I've never listened to the HD800, but it seems the HD800S has much less of a treble peak. At least in my pair, the treble sounds rather silky; honestly the treble in my IO-12 sounds a bit hard in comparison. But of course my HD800S is from 2016 and was played almost every day, while my IO-12 is just one week old.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #386 of 1,181
I have to apologize here. I have been so busy traveling for work lately that I simply did not have the time or the financial bandwith to invest in a pair of DALI IO-12, nor did DALI come back to my request for a review sample .. So this explains why I haven't been able to chime in with my experiences yet. (@Brintkiks Will it still be possible to somehow get a review sample? I am currently traveling so frequently that I have the ideal testing ground :wink:)
I’m not sure where you are located but my dealer I got my pairs from specifically complained about how Dali didn’t seem to line reviews up for them and they were talking about wanting to get them reviewed. The guy even said he was considering getting some headphone testing equipment to help out. Seemed annoyed with the lack of reviews and I get it.

Maybe reach out to them? I can give you the name but not sure if they’ve lined anything up yet, might be worth a try.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #387 of 1,181
I've never listened to the HD800, but it seems the HD800S has much less of a treble peak. At least in my pair, the treble sounds rather silky; honestly the treble in my IO-12 sounds a bit hard in comparison. But of course my HD800S is from 2016 and was played almost every day, while my IO-12 is just one week old.

"Much less of a treble peak"? I don't think this is the case after reading many posts comparing both 800 models and, for example, when looking at the FR graph from this post where you see a a difference of ~5dB at 6kHz (HD800 in green, HD800S in red). The difference is there but isn't that significant.

Attachments

• hd800-vs-hd800s.png
    hd800-vs-hd800s.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #388 of 1,181
I know very well that (more) neutral headphones, like the iO-12, are performing even more brilliantly with acoustic music or proper good masters, like you generally finding in classical music and jazz, but also in good recordings/masters of folk music and many 1970s or 1980s rock and pop albums. The reproduction of this track is simply really beautiful with the iO-12, a track that a headphone with a tonal balance like the PX8 (or any of the Sony XMx series or similar) will absolutely destroying. This is only one reason the iO-12 is so excellent in its sound reproduction.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #389 of 1,181
I know very well that (more) neutral headphones, like the iO-12, are performing even more brilliantly with acoustic music or proper good masters, like you generally finding in classical music and jazz, but also in good recordings/masters of folk music and many 1970s or 1980s rock and pop albums. The reproduction of this track is simply really beautiful with the iO-12, a track that a headphone with a tonal balance like the PX8 (or any of the Sony XMx series or similar) will absolutely destroying. This is only one reason the iO-12 is so excellent in its sound reproduction.

Agreed, thanks for the link. Sounds beautiful on IO-12

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #390 of 1,181

I have never really liked neutral tuned headphones. I find them boring, but I’m really eager to hear the IO-12. Can anyone direct me to a frequency graph for these? When we say neutral are we talking Harmon or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back