New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #436 of 1,181
I agree to all of what you wrote; for me, my HD800S and HD650 still define how music should sound via headphones. But one reason is surely that I now have listened to them for 8 years! Maybe in another 8 years, the IO-12 will define how music should sound for me.

This is interesting --- you have the HD800S, I have the HD800; you have the HD650, I have the HD600! For me is 11 years with the HD800, and if I never selling this headphone, is for a reason.

Well, who knows what progress we'll see in portable (anc) headphones in the next years, given all the progress that has happened in the last couple of years!
In any case, the IO-12 sound good and quite open for a closed headphone to me.

Yes, progress in last few years in ANC/BT headphones is significant, but that isn't meaning that in few years the iO-12 will not still be an excellent headphone. And, for me, the iO-12 don't sounding only "good", but really excellent. And, like I saying before, even if the HD800 is technically a better headphone, the iO-12's tonal balance is remarkable and my preference more than the HD800 in general, and, even when is a BT headphone, resolution and lack of distortion is impressive for this technology.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #437 of 1,181
Well, who knows what progress we'll see in portable (anc) headphones in the next years, given all the progress that has happened in the last couple of years!
Gold words!
Wireless headphones are slowly replacing the ranks of high-end wired headphones. The progress is obvious and the Dali iO-12 is a clear confirmation of this.
The rules of the big game are beginning to change!

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #438 of 1,181
This is interesting --- you have the HD800S, I have the HD800; you have the HD650, I have the HD600! For me is 11 years with the HD800, and if I never selling this headphone, is for a reason.
Yes, I noted that, too. The reason might be that I play violin, and that’s already enough high frequencies, so I might prefer a slightly relaxed treble in headphones ... but I listen not only to classical music, also to prog rock, jazz, funk, and occasionally black metal or the like. I found that in comparison to my Momentum 4 and 1000XM5, the IO-12 excels with pieces like the attached. Well, just hifi, not consumer oriented (whatever that is – aren’t we consumers too?).

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #439 of 1,181
Gold words!
Wireless headphones are slowly replacing the ranks of high-end wired headphones. The progress is obvious and the Dali iO-12 is a clear confirmation of this.
The rules of the big game are beginning to change!
Wonder how much of that is wireless innovation and how much of that is the brand new driver they made? I hope io-12 inspires other high-end audio manufacturers to invest more on the driver side, clearly for some people (us) audio quality is of utmost importance, apps etc are non-factors.

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #440 of 1,181

That is a good example where the IO-12 are clearly superior to the ML 5909, and sound very different. Thanks!

The German review suggesting a DAC dongle with the iPhone is over the top. I did some side by side between my Pixel in aptX HD and my iPhone 15 Pro in AAC... the different is so small I couldn't reliably guess one over the other. Certainly no worth adding a dongle!

Jan 18, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #442 of 1,181
on why no LDAC in the Dali IO-12s

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 0
Jan 19, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #444 of 1,181
Interesting, but why not give users the option to decide for themselves? Many phones, including Android flagships from Samsung and Google, do not have Apt-x Adaptive but do have LDAC support. The same is true of virtually all DAPs.

Do the IO-12s pick up the Apt-x HD codec on supported devices instead of Apt-X Adaptive? The Bathys, for example, does not. That would, at least, allow access to higher bitrates than vanilla Apt-X.

If higher end BT headphones are going to exclusively use Apt-x Adaptive, then let's hope sources (flagship phones and DAPs) get that support. There is an irony that lower end phones tend to have Apt-x Adaptive and Micro-SD storage where higher end devices drop both.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #446 of 1,181
Yes, they do.

+1 to this; DALI confirmed this with me again over messenger. Really stellar customer support (at least from the APAC arm)

Jan 19, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #449 of 1,181
Here is one track that not other ANC/BT headphone can reproducing like the iO-12. The Solitaire T is reproducing very well but not so good like the iO-12. Why? Because:

1. This track don't have good dynamic range and this is always problematic so, for me, is very difficult 'rocking out' and playing (more) loud this track.
2. In many parts of this track things can becoming easily congested, always even more problematic with low dynamic range recordings.
3. All the drums and percussions are electronic not acoustic, often problematic too.

The iO-12 is doing exemplary job, like not other headphone, not only because is being able reproducing all the drumming and percussion sounds, but even allowing me 'rocking out' and playing this music (more) loud. With the ML 5909 the percussion can becoming painful if playing more loud because of the treble peak at more loud volumes. With the Solitaire T, sometimes is sounding a little more congested for my ears so I needing turning volume down too. So...

4. The very fast guitar notes from one of the 2 guitarists, from 3:41 to 5:08, you can hearing every note sufficiently well for this type of recording with the iO-12.
5. Similarly but differently, because you have a guitar solo from the other guitarist, from 6:50 to 9:08, and you can hearing all the drumming and percussion very well happening at the same time, always problematic for this type of recording. Great and best job by the iO-12.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #450 of 1,181
After about 12 hrs of listening and comparing to Clear OG and 5909, here are some additional impressions:

Sound:
it is a bit of a marvel how big the soundstage is. After much listening, they are closer to Clear OG than to 5909. The IO-12 connected to my iPhone via AAC compare well to the Clear OG (plugged into Gold Go Bar with balanced wires hooked to my MBP listening to Apple Music lossless). The main improvement of OG is that they are a little more resolving. The IO-12 connected via USB adds a little more resolution. Frankly, I may sell my wired setup of I keep the IO-12. From 50s jazz (Kind of Blue) to Mahler orchestral music, the IO-12 have far more presence, stage, height, and are immersive in ways the 5909 cannot compete.

My favorite recording of Mahler's Symphony 6 "Tragic" is Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra (1966). The older recording loses power on the 5909. Re-listening to it on IO-12 I found the original thrill of the opening. I think that some older recording where details are a bit lost, the soundstage and dynamic range are crucial to make up for it. When it comes to detail and resolution, there is plenty in IO-12, but not at the expense of musicality. I think the 5909 sometimes serve details at the cost of musicality--there is a certain sharpness and clarity that is a strength, but also a weakness that makes some parts hurt your ears, forcing you click the volume down a bit. That has not been the case once with IO-12. With IO-12, everything seems detailed but round.

I never feel like an instrument is trapped in one ear cup with IO-12. On 5909, sometimes there is a beautifully detailed instrument that seems unnaturally stuck inside a spot in my ear cup. The IO-12 gets everything out of the ear cup.

There is one other thing that stands out for me: there are no dead spots on the soundstage on IO-12, but there are some on 5909. Say, in the recent remaster of Ellington's Money Jungle, in the Fleurette Africaine track there are moment where at 3 o'clock there seems to be nothing on 5909, like a sound gap in that location, but on IO-12 you are surrounded by the music.

Listening to choral music like Messe de Tournai with Ensemble Organum (HarmoniaMundi, not on streaming it seems), there is an airiness that captures a bigger space. The IO-12 are more like a grand church and the 5909 like a chapel. On track 3, with the IO-12 the choir doesn't just get louder, it expands and fills the space. On 5909, it just grows louder.

Comfort:
Very good. They stay in place better than 5909 at about the same comfort level. The headband is a little more comfortable on 5909 as the cost of not staying in place. The earcups are a little more comfortable on IO-12.

Ergonomics:
Some may bemoan the absence of an app, or touch controls, etc... But these are the most ergonomic headphones I have had, except for H95. I realize, for instance, that I almost never use the headphone controls with the 5909, instead relying on my phone. With the IO-12, I only use the headphone controls. Power on and off is a breeze. Volume control and skips work perfectly). And tones/voices are perfect volume. (5909 tones are too loud, pausing doesn't always work on first press, and powering on and off is a pain leading to regular mistaken BT pairings or headphones staying on or not powering on because I did not hold buttons long enough.)

Multipoint:
It works perfectly. BT connection range is comparable to 5909, which were my previous the reference (Bathys have a substantially shorter range than either of those).

ANC:
Somewhat comparable to 5909, but a far cry from APM. Fine for home use. Did not test enough, but the fullness of the IO-12 allows is to better mask outside noise. TBH, I plan on just getting some Bose QC Ultra for travel when I find a pair on sale.

Early Conclusion:
The IO-12 make music I don't even like interesting to listen. In fact, it makes music I think more of as noise sound like music to me too. @angelom 's post above is unlistenable to me on 5909. Just noise to me. The guitar section at the 3:41 mark is unpleasant and stuck in my ear cup on one side; there is no coherence. The IO-12 makes it music, albeit not my taste.

I think I will be keeping these, and possibly selling my Clear OG. These are the closest wireless headphones that feel like listening to speakers (and closest to feeling like open backs).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back