New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Dec 16, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #602 of 760
My Hermes make a distorted sound and creaks.
I followed all the directions that the technical support told me to do but the problem remains.
Clearly it's a hardware problem and I don't understand why they keep making me do useless tests and don't authorize the hospitalization of my Hermes for assistance.
I must add that it is the second time that the DDC has failed, previously the USB input and another card had failed, all in less than a year of purchase.
I am unlucky?
The DAC construction is modular. From my experience their MO is to try and determine which module is faulty and then if possible send you a replacement module for you to install. Sending the Hermes in for replacement is the last resort.

Jan 5, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #604 of 760
Hi, I now have SU-1 and want buy IRIS, but i have tuning supreme 1A in SU-1, IRIS have 2A, he is burn out?
Most likely not. If it does, you only lose $?$$. :)

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #607 of 760
My Gaia got damaged and required a logic board replacement. Now the name of the connected USB port has changed from “Denafrips 3.12” to “Denafrips 3.12 | G 2.5.” I sent an email to Denafrips and they confirmed that the new logic board came with newer firmware. I would surmise that after Denafrips’ DACs are finished receiving their firmware updates along Denafrips’ schedule of releases, the Denafrips DDCs will be next in line for updates.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #608 of 760
Hi, does anyone try Iris with Sonnet Morpheus by using I2S connection?
I have read some old posts said that Hermes/Gaia have sound cracking/popping issue on I2S of Sonnet DAC (using RJ45 cable with custom pinout) and the issue can be fixed by configuring the HDMI pinout of Hermes/Gaia.
I am not sure if Iris has the same issue.

May 7, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #609 of 760
I have read some old posts said that Hermes/Gaia have sound cracking/popping issue on I2S of Sonnet DAC (using RJ45 cable with custom pinout) and the issue can be fixed by configuring the HDMI pinout of Hermes/Gaia.
I have a Metrum Adagio in my speaker system. Will try connecting my Iris to it later. I understand it should work flawlessly, but haven't tried.

May 7, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #611 of 760
I read a story like this. The owner had a custom RJ45 cable made. Crackles resulted- he could not confirm the pinouts were wired properly.

I have read a similar HDMI/I2S cable story about the Hermes - all it took was assigning the right pin out configuration according to the relevant Denafrips video. Does the IRIS have I2S configuration capability?

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #612 of 760
I read a story like this. The owner had a custom RJ45 cable made. Crackles resulted- he could not confirm the pinouts were wired properly.

I have read a similar HDMI/I2S cable story about the Hermes - all it took was assigning the right pin out configuration according to the relevant Denafrips video. Does the IRIS have I2S configuration capability?
The Iris owner's manual does not have any guide for configuring the HDMI pinout like the Hermes/Gaia owner's manual does.
Therefore, if Iris has any issue on I2S of Sonnet DAC, it may not be possible to fix.

May 7, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #613 of 760
The Iris owner's manual does not have any guide for configuring the HDMI pinout like the Hermes/Gaia owner's manual does.
Therefore, if Iris has any issue on I2S of Sonnet DAC, it may not be possible to fix.
Or roll your own RJ45 cable, to change pin assignment if needed?

May 7, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #614 of 760
Sorry, I haven't get Iris yet so I cannot test it.
I am looking for a DDC to work with I2S of my Sonnet Morpheus and Iris is on my list. Just want to make sure if Iris will work with Morpheus.
Hermes and Gaia are not on my list because I don't have enough room to place them.

May 7, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #615 of 760

That is theoretically possible, of course. But Alvin says the cable is critical to the performance of the RJ45/I2S connection so you'd better be really good at terminating it IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back