New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Jul 31, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #646 of 760
DDC and streamer shouldn't be either/or. What happens if you connect the streamer to the DDC? That may be the best of all.
I was told its either one or the other ddc or streamer ? I have been asking this question but one person saying its one or the other and next person saying you can but I do not see how ? I have no clue how to connect the streamer to the ddc and then ddc to dac how is this done ?
If you see my previous posts I asked the question but people didn't get what I was saying maybe I explained it wrong 🤔 so the question is how do I conect the streamer to the ddc then ddc to dac . What connections would I use ?
Hope I can get the answer to this one I just can see how to do this .
Thanks guys .

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #648 of 760
I own the denafrips iris but unfortunately was unable to connect via hdmi i2s due to the fact that my
holo audio cyan dac/amp was not compatible , I was using a coax connection from ddc to dac instead.
I recently purchased a eversolo dmp a6 streamer which i connect directly into my dac with better results
rather than using my mac into the ddc maybe the fact that I was using coax instead of i2s
so which makes the ddc redundant in my system .
what source do you guys use and what yields the best results in your opinions
ddc or streamer ?
I was using a good cable from Audioqust 0.5 m so it's not a cable problem I tried various others and contacted holo audio and vinshine audio and didn't get anywhere still does not work just a loud buzzing sound from i2s .

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #649 of 760
I was told its either one or the other ddc or streamer ? I have been asking this question but one person saying its one or the other and next person saying you can but I do not see how ? I have no clue how to connect the streamer to the ddc and then ddc to dac how is this done ?
If you see my previous posts I asked the question but people didn't get what I was saying maybe I explained it wrong 🤔 so the question is how do I conect the streamer to the ddc then ddc to dac . What connections would I use ?
Hope I can get the answer to this one I just can see how to do this .
Thanks guys .
I'd utilize USB A-USB B from streamer to DDC. Then i2s and bnc cables from DDC to DAC.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #650 of 760
I'd utilize USB A-USB B from streamer to DDC. Then i2s and bnc cables from DDC to DAC.
My dac and ddc are not compatible over i2s could I use the same connections as you stated but coax from ddc to dac ?
Thank you for clearing things up I had the wiim pro streamer which did not have a USB connection so wasn't possible I have the eversolo streamer on the way which has usb which will make this chain possible .

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #651 of 760
My dac and ddc are not compatible over i2s could I use the same connections as you stated but coax from ddc to dac ?
Thank you for clearing things up I had the wiim pro streamer which did not have a USB connection so wasn't possible I have the eversolo streamer on the way which has usb which will make this chain possible .
Yes coax should work just fine. I've had great experiences using Audioquest Carbon and Kimber D60 coax cables. There's obviously cheaper options, but found those to be quite good.

Jul 31, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #652 of 760
Yes coax should work just fine. I've had great experiences using Audioquest Carbon and Kimber D60 coax cables. There's obviously cheaper options, but found those to be quite good.

I have a couple Kimber D60 I will be listing for sale soon. Very good cable for the money, I just moved further upmarket.

Aug 1, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #653 of 760
I've done a search in this thread and didn't see what I was looking for, so please bear with me if I missed it.

Does anyone here have any experience adding an Iris in between a Bluesound Node (N130) and their DAC? I'm curious to see what effect the Iris would have if I added it to my setup. I'm currently running my Node via USB to a Schiit Yggdrasil LIM. I'd have to run USB from the Node to the Iris, and then connect the Iris via coax to the Yggy.

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #654 of 760
I've done a search in this thread and didn't see what I was looking for, so please bear with me if I missed it.

Does anyone here have any experience adding an Iris in between a Bluesound Node (N130) and their DAC? I'm curious to see what effect the Iris would have if I added it to my setup. I'm currently running my Node via USB to a Schiit Yggdrasil LIM. I'd have to run USB from the Node to the Iris, and then connect the Iris via coax to the Yggy.
Hi there
I was asking the same question I got the answer from a gentleman on here and you said it yourself usb
Out from the node into your iris then coax/or i2s out into your dac then whatever connection you would use into your amp .

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #655 of 760
Hi there
I was asking the same question I got the answer from a gentleman on here and you said it yourself usb
Out from the node into your iris then coax/or i2s out into your dac then whatever connection you would use into your amp .
Thank you for responding. Was there a noticeable SQ difference when you added the Iris?

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #656 of 760
Thank you for responding. Was there a noticeable SQ difference when you added the Iris?
Hi
There was a noticeable difference for the better with the iris using through usb to iris to dac just waiting for my streamer to arrive my current one does not support usb then il try the method you was asking about let me know how you get on with your connection 😀

Aug 1, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #657 of 760
I have a couple Kimber D60 I will be listing for sale soon. Very good cable for the money, I just moved further upmarket.
I thought audioquest cables were expensive 🤔 kimber d60 woooow don't think I would stretch that far for a coax cable lol I have the carbon which is as far as I would go I think , I say that but probably buy one next week lol 😆

Aug 1, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #658 of 760
I thought audioquest cables were expensive 🤔 kimber d60 woooow don't think I would stretch that far for a coax cable lol I have the carbon which is as far as I would go I think , I say that but probably buy one next week lol 😆

There is a solution for that... buy used, let dumb people like me who bought new take the hit on depreciation :scream:

Aug 1, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #659 of 760
There is a solution for that... buy used, let dumb people like me who bought new take the hit on depreciation :scream:
would not say you were dumb lol we all are a little dumb when it comes to this hobby
just that few extra percent in sound quality we are never happy , well maybe for a while
then find ourselves shopping again it never ends there is no such thing as end game
in this game . :L3000:

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #660 of 760
I love my Denafrips Ares II 12th since April 2023 with no issues. This is an R2R technology which is no longer chasing resolution as a priority but 3D realism.

Earlier this week I ordered the newer Denafrips Iris 12th (a DDC with bigger power supply) for my Denafrips Ares II 12th dac so I hope that I will be able to hear an improvement like reviewers have said.
------
I love thin-film tweeters (ribbon, AMT, planar).
Even though our ears can only hear up to 20 Khz, a tweeter that can go higher than 20 Khz is faster so it also improves the transients in sound quality below 20 Khz.

After 23 years in the hobby since 2000 with dome tweeters, I auditioned Wisdom Audio P4m/P4i speakers (with planar ribbon tweeters) at $2,500/$2,000 each. I loved the vocalists and cymbals on it even more than the $90k-$300k Wilson Audio speakers that have dome tweeters.
Ideally for my budget I would get floorstanding speakers by GoldenEar Triton Reference or T66 or One.R, with the awesome reference AMT ribbon tweeters. But I needed short speakers to not block my 150 inch screen.
So I got bookshelf GoldenEar BRX speakers which has the same 50% bigger neodymium magnets as in the GoldenEar Triton Reference or T66 or One.R, 20Hz - 35Khz) and they sound as good as the Wisdom. I also play the bookshelf speakers with my existing 2 sealed subwoofers (each with 2 bass radiators).

I liked my new pair of GoldenEar BRX speakers for music so I bought a 3rd GoldenEar BRX to replace my center channel speaker for my home theater in a 7.2.4 setup. There were high notes missing with my old speaker when I played a bluray disc movie version 'The Phantom of the Opera'!
----
What's amazing is that previously I bought better RCA cables/interconnects by Worlds Best Cables (mogami wire and Neutrik plugs) from Amazon but I did not hear an improvement with my old speakers (titanium dome tweeters with neodymium magnets, 91 db sensitivity).
But now I do hear an improvement with the GoldenEars BRX in the high notes, female vocalists, cymbals, bigger soundstage, and more airy.
So I've ordered speaker cables by World's Best Cable from Amazon with Mogami 3082.

Also with my old speakers and RCA interconnect and Apple Music, I could not hear an improvement with hi-res lossless such as "Michael Jackson's Billie Jean" (24bit/96 Khz) via USB cable but now I do hear an improvement with the new GoldenEar BRX and Worlds Best Cable RCA interconnect.
-----------
source=Apple Music (hires lossless, and spatial audio surround music) and Denafrips Ares II 12th dac (R2R technology for 3D live/realistic sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back