New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #48 of 1,588
I realised now that I may be one of HF's first members to hear it. I was at Fuji Camera a couple of weeks ago just in time to chat about what used headphone I wanted AND get a listen to the HD700 and AH-D7001. I've got to say that the 7001's comfort and fit is much much better than the older D7000 and D5000, and the build is less 'generic' to use an idiotic word. The 600 has pretty nasty/cheap looking leather lines, but the AH-D7001's sound is something I like: smooth and a bit heavy (in comparison to my standard, the DT-880 600Ω). It drove well from an iPhone 4S, which held good synergy (in terms of type match) and a bit less well out of a MyST 1866 amp that I was trying (a bit too dark!). 

Overall, I'm probably not the market for a full sized closed home headphone, but if I was in the market, the D7001 would be up there. I realise this is just forum fodder and not really helping out. 

EDIT: I should explain: I consider the white/dark stitching a cheap sort of contrast. This shows up in low quality goods or accessories often and I'm not a big fan. Soundwise, sure, the D600 sounds very nice and fit is good. I found the old D5000/7000 series to be too loose (I have a slim head) but the new series stands out from the ear considerably and creates a better sense of 3D than the older series did. Soundwise, D7100 and D600 - well done.

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #49 of 1,588
Crutchfield won't price-match with the Amazon price, as they believe their service and 60-Day warranty are worth the price difference. They say they'll look into the prices that other retailers are carrying the item for, but they can't promise anything.

Any other paypal dealer that will price-match the discounted Amazon Price?

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #50 of 1,588
I realised now that I may be one of HF's first members to hear it. I was at Fuji Camera a couple of weeks ago just in time to chat about what used headphone I wanted AND get a listen to the HD700 and AH-D7001. I've got to say that the 7001's comfort and fit is much much better than the older D7000 and D5000, and the build is less 'generic' to use an idiotic word. The 600 has pretty nasty/cheap looking leather lines, but the AH-D7001's sound is something I like: smooth and a bit heavy (in comparison to my standard, the DT-880 600Ω). It drove well from an iPhone 4S, which held good synergy (in terms of type match) and a bit less well out of a MyST 1866 amp that I was trying (a bit too dark!). 

Overall, I'm probably not the market for a full sized closed home headphone, but if I was in the market, the D7001 would be up there. I realise this is just forum fodder and not really helping out. 

EDIT: I should explain: I consider the white/dark stitching a cheap sort of contrast. This shows up in low quality goods or accessories often and I'm not a big fan. Soundwise, sure, the D600 sounds very nice and fit is good. I found the old D5000/7000 series to be too loose (I have a slim head) but the new series stands out from the ear considerably and creates a better sense of 3D than the older series did. Soundwise, D7100 and D600 - well done.

What are the sonic differences between the 600 & 7100?

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #51 of 1,588
People should give minimum 12 hours of burn-in before judging headphones. I also have a slim head and headband touches only small area on top the rest is hanging in the air as with Beats

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #52 of 1,588
I'm still waiting for someone to get on this thread and claim the D7100 is the new cure for cancer. I'm surprised the "this headphone is the bestest in the whole wide world" crowd hasn't showed up yet. That sort of silliness is usually good enough for a few laughs. Oh wait, I stand corrected I missed a couple of key posts..............let the hilarity commence.

(click on me get a free D7100)

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #55 of 1,588
Quote:
[size=medium] A few more impressions.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I just did a quick back to back comparison between the HD800 and D7100 using the APO SACD of Grant Green Idle Moments. Amp is the Apex Peak and source is a Denon DCD-A100.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] The results of this are shocking to me. The HD800 has a wider soundstage but other than that the D7100 sounds better to me in pretty much every way. The D7100 has a blacker background, more natural tonality and most significantly resolves substantially more detail. Not just arbitrary detail like finger scrapes or background noises in the studio but musically significant detail like subtle variations in phrasing and tempo that is so important with Jazz. The D7100 just sound more alive and more musical. In comparison the HD800 sound kind of bleached and dull. Given that I was expecting the D7100 to be more of a fun headphone, having it significantly out resolve the HD800 is a huge surprise.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Also as they've been playing the bass is definitely settling down. They still have more prominent bass than the HD800 but it doesn't bowl you over like it did on first play. [/size]

Big surprise, you just discovered how the HD800 sounds
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #56 of 1,588
Quote:
I'm still waiting for someone to get on this thread and claim the D7100 is the new cure for cancer. I'm surprised the "this headphone is the bestest in the whole wide world" crowd hasn't showed up yet. That sort of silliness is usually good enough for a few laughs. Oh wait, I stand corrected I missed a couple of key posts..............let the hilarity commence.

I don't know if anyone has quite that much faith in Denon engineering. I know I certainly don't. I'm waiting for the measurements since I can't hear one in person anytime soon. Anyone willing to send their pair to Tyll for measurement?

Kojaku

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #57 of 1,588

Somebody needs a hug.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #59 of 1,588
Quote:

I have had one in my possession for an hour and a half now, and I am cancer free. Case closed.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #60 of 1,588
I have had one in my possession for an hour and a half now, and I am cancer free. Case closed.

What you did there, I see it.

Kojaku

Users who are viewing this thread

Back