New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Feb 5, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #2,626 of 5,077
Wait, I'm confused. If the DAC is connected to the phone, if I plug in my headphone cable into the 3.5mm jack, the audio and internal mic will work then? Or not? It seemed to me that my friend could hear my voice but I couldn't hear him with the DAC plugged in (through my headphones). I could hear him through the ear speaker that you put your head up next to. He could hear my voice when I spoke into the microphone. The phone call audio just would not come through the DAC. Everything else worked as it should when the DAC was plugged in. (voice through mic, caller through ear speaker)
on a related note, the reason I use the bluetooth headset instead of m-100 for calls is because I purchased a cable with dual output plugs to use both earpiece inputs instead of the one. It was a noticeable upgrade in sq with a good source/dac, so this is my preferred way of listening to V-Moda cans now. I use the same cable for my XS and my DFR when I go on my runs.

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #2,627 of 5,077
on a related note, the reason I use the bluetooth headset instead of m-100 for calls is because I purchased a cable with dual output plugs to use both earpiece inputs instead of the one. It was a noticeable upgrade in sq with a good source/dac, so this is my preferred way of listening to V-Moda cans now. I use the same cable for my XS and my DFR when I go on my runs.

What cable did you buy? I've been curious about a cable upgrade with dual outputs for a while now for the M-100s/XS. Can you post a pic of the setup?

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #2,628 of 5,077

What cable did you buy? I've been curious about a cable upgrade with dual outputs for a while now for the M-100s/XS. Can you post a pic of the setup?

This is a link my review of a double ended cable I found on Amazon.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/645315/replacement-cable-for-v-moda-m100#post_12853348

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #2,629 of 5,077

Dragonfly Red for use while mobile, but having had the Mojo (recently sold) I'm seriously considering the Hugo 2 for Home/Work use. Its far more than I'd like to spend but to me the Mojo was noticeably better than the DFR and its my 50th in a couple of weeks so I deserve a treat  
biggrin.gif

Don't know if its an age thing but I'm getting more into "listening" to music as I get older, not just as background noise.

Thing is I only use Shure SE846 IEMS and don't even have any headphones as ones I tried just don't sound as good as my SE846's to my ears. Would the Hugo 2 be overkill ?

If portability at home is not an issue, you can get an Elear+Mojo with plenty of change for the price of the Hugo. If only IEM works for you, then maybe W80 or JH16V2 with the Mojo. SE846 has quite good transparency but it is not that great. You'll get much bigger gain in SQ by upgrading the headphone/earphone if you already got a good source (mojo).

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #2,631 of 5,077
Feb 6, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,632 of 5,077
I know I only said about this a couple of pages ago, yet I still cannot believe the synergy between the DFR and Soundmagic E80... This from someone who has been around the block many times and have both DACs and IEMs / headphones costing many many times the value of this combination.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #2,634 of 5,077
My DFB arrived, it's running and sounding fine on my Nexus 5, definitely an improvement for my harder to drive earbuds and ath-mx50. There's a learning curve in getting volume controls figured out and getting it to work with Spotify.

The sound on my desktop set up through DFB is blowing me away. I have an old Kenwood tuner/amp hooked up to some old but good aiwa speakers. Coming out of the computer sound card the sound is meh, muddy and hard to fix. DFB makes a huge difference. Headphones plugged into the Kenwood phone-out is also great.

I wondered if it would work on my Chromebook using the Spotify web app. It is. Can I assume that when the light on the DFB is green, it's doing it's work? It sure sounds like it's working. 

Question about using UAPP. The only way I can get the phone's volume button to work is by un-ticking the box in UAPP settings that says "Bit perfect (USB audio) When enabled, no processing...etc". Unticked, the light on the DFB is still green. Does this mean UAPP will automatically give bit-perfect anyways? I see confusing opinions this in the thread.

My first reaction was that the sound was lacking in bass, with more listening I'm convinced it's a very neutral and more detailed sound. I'm happy with the purchase.

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #2,635 of 5,077
I'm very happy with my DFB too. Although I began to notice some soft pops and blips when using CCK to my iPhone 7. I have seen lots of such issues with Android devices. Did I miss posts that mention similar issues with regards to iPhones?

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #2,637 of 5,077
My DFB arrived, it's running and sounding fine on my Nexus 5, definitely an improvement for my harder to drive earbuds and ath-mx50. There's a learning curve in getting volume controls figured out and getting it to work with Spotify.

The sound on my desktop set up through DFB is blowing me away. I have an old Kenwood tuner/amp hooked up to some old but good aiwa speakers. Coming out of the computer sound card the sound is meh, muddy and hard to fix. DFB makes a huge difference. Headphones plugged into the Kenwood phone-out is also great.

I wondered if it would work on my Chromebook using the Spotify web app. It is. Can I assume that when the light on the DFB is green, it's doing it's work? It sure sounds like it's working. 

Question about using UAPP. The only way I can get the phone's volume button to work is by un-ticking the box in UAPP settings that says "Bit perfect (USB audio) When enabled, no processing...etc". Unticked, the light on the DFB is still green. Does this mean UAPP will automatically give bit-perfect anyways? I see confusing opinions this in the thread.

My first reaction was that the sound was lacking in bass, with more listening I'm convinced it's a very neutral and more detailed sound. I'm happy with the purchase.
the reason you are unable to change volume with bit perfect checked is because you have the volume setting set to software volume. That is the default. In settings choose volume as hardware volume. That will now control the volume steps in the DFB itself. Bit perfect is the way to go. Happy listening

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #2,638 of 5,077
the reason you are unable to change volume with bit perfect checked is because you have the volume setting set to software volume. That is the default. In settings choose volume as hardware volume. That will now control the volume steps in the DFB itself. Bit perfect is the way to go. Happy listening

Thanks for answering. I must have missed that because I had the uapp hardware volume set too high and thought I wasn't controlling it with my phone's volume button when set to hardware. It was loud! Working now.

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #2,639 of 5,077
Not sure if its going to be any good but intend to Velcro DFR to back of my Z5 compact which should make up the gap size & keep secure. This one is the right direction. May be too big a gap but worth a try seeing as so cheap. The cable I already use above was only about £3 anyway.

On UK Amazon:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LEX5XTE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
seems to be almost made to measure for the S7 Edge with a case installed...

Will have to find myself some velcro or thick double sided tape...

Thanks again for the heads up :)

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #2,640 of 5,077
Mine's not arrived yet! Does it feel too big in the hand or much better then with the cable?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back