New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 27, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #3,541 of 5,077
Hello guys, happy user of both dragonfly red and black. I use them on my macbook, and iphone. My songs all come from Tidal HiFi. Right now I wanna get a good transport for these.

Is the most reliable mobile Tidal player on iOS? If this is the case i plan to get an ipod touch with good storage (maybe 64gb or 128gb). I heard android is glitchy especially on daps. :frowning2:
I have had no problems with my Android smartphone + UAPP (USB Audio Pro Player) which allows the user to completely bypass the internal smartphone DAC and stream from Tidal (or playback downloaded files). Make sure to go into the Tidal quality setting within UAPP itself and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #3,542 of 5,077
I have had no problems with my Android smartphone + UAPP (USB Audio Pro Player) which allows the user to completely bypass the internal smartphone DAC and stream from Tidal (or playback downloaded files). Make sure to go into the Tidal quality setting within UAPP itself and adjust accordingly.

thanks! forgot to mention i need i will need tidal offline since net isn't that fast where i live. i've been reading that android daps have issues with tidal offline.

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #3,545 of 5,077
So I tried the Dragonfly Black on my 1More Quads. Did some A/B testing between the laptop headphone jack (Dell XPS 15, 9550) vs the DFB, and I really could not tell a difference between the two once I normalized the volumes (since DFB will output higher volume than laptop headphone jack). I am was using Spotify premium, 320 kbps, for the songs.

At one point I thought the DFB sounded better (very marginally), but I cannot say if was simply due to placebo.

Anyways, just a thought for anyone looking to get these for mid-tier IEMs that are not too sensitive to sources and using 320 kbps mp3s - I don't think there will be much of a difference.

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #3,546 of 5,077
I've been running a dragonfly red off my Mac on Tidal with a pair of Sony xba-Z5s over the last half year or so and have been loving the sound.
Are there any recommended cables to use the dragonfly with an android device (usb to micro usb) like the stock dragontail or would it likely not matter?

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #3,547 of 5,077
Just need a OTG cable either male micro USB or male USB C depending on your phone to female USB A. Lots of cheap ones on Amazon that will work.

Jun 28, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #3,550 of 5,077
Hi. In your opinions would a dragonfly red improve the sound of a fiio x5 iii running nightowl headphones. I am currently running it through a chord mojo but it's a bit bulky in my pocket

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #3,552 of 5,077
I am using dragonfly black with UAPP and Samsung S7, can you tell me if there is any way to limit the max volume? I just by mistake put it at max volume with earphones in and it was literally the loudest thing I have ever heard and now my ears hurt and I probably damaged my hearing or the headphones... seriously UAPP with dragonfly black is dangerous!!! The max volume is INSANELY loud and very easy to put it at MAX volume by mistake as it is a volume slider on the phone screen... thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #3,553 of 5,077
I am using dragonfly black with UAPP and Samsung S7, can you tell me if there is any way to limit the max volume? I just by mistake put it at max volume with earphones in and it was literally the loudest thing I have ever heard and now my ears hurt and I probably damaged my hearing or the headphones... seriously UAPP with dragonfly black is dangerous!!! The max volume is INSANELY loud and very easy to put it at MAX volume by mistake as it is a volume slider on the phone screen... thanks.
There are 2 volumes. Hardware and software. Set the hardware volume, then have the volume slider set to software. Now, at Max software volume, it won't reach beyond the level it was set at on hardware volume. For best purposes, you want bit perfect and the sets software at Max, and you simply control hardware volume, but for what you are asking this is the way to do it. Honestly, if you set it to bit perfect, and set slider to hardware volume, and set the volume steps to 100, shouldn't be any reason you accidentally click the volume all the way to 100, unless you just have a very twitchy finger. Good luck

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #3,554 of 5,077
There are 2 volumes. Hardware and software. Set the hardware volume, then have the volume slider set to software. Now, at Max software volume, it won't reach beyond the level it was set at on hardware volume. For best purposes, you want bit perfect and the sets software at Max, and you simply control hardware volume, but for what you are asking this is the way to do it. Honestly, if you set it to bit perfect, and set slider to hardware volume, and set the volume steps to 100, shouldn't be any reason you accidentally click the volume all the way to 100, unless you just have a very twitchy finger. Good luck

That explains it perfectly thanks, I had volume set to hardware so it was changing the hardware volume and the max is probably about 200db lol, I should have found this out before almost blowing my ears / headphones, but that is a lot better now thanks. UAPP is good once you know how to use it, but its definitely not very "user friendly".

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #3,555 of 5,077
I will say something about the DFB with the IE80 using the S7 as source, this sounds really great, I went back to my Sansa clip and SE215 and it sounds not good in comparison, I also tried the IE80 with the clip and they sound good, but the DFB definitely sounds better than the clip and the DFB + IE80 + UAPP bit perfect, is extremely good, I like the sound (almost) as much as the THX00 +D1050, although obviously different due to IEM vs over ears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back