New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jun 5, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #3,496 of 5,077
I have a new iPad mini 4. DFR turns off a while after the end of the playlist. Is this normal? Sometimes I also have a problem with DFR turns itself off and on again. Especially when I move the iPad around. Using the USB2 adapter.
Don't have these problems on my Android phone and Windows PC.

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #3,497 of 5,077
I have a new iPad mini 4. DFR turns off a while after the end of the playlist. Is this normal? Sometimes I also have a problem with DFR turns itself off and on again. Especially when I move the iPad around. Using the USB2 adapter.
Don't have these problems on my Android phone and Windows PC.
The lightning to USB 3 camera kit seems to be solving ios issues. I had a cck2 kit on an older phone and my DFB would turn off after an idle period; with the cck3 it no longer turns off when idle.

Jun 11, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #3,498 of 5,077
Not sure if any Samsung S8 users with DFR facing the same issue: I have set my Onkyo HF Player app as the default app when plugging the DFR into my S8+. However, I still continue getting up the same popup EVERY time I plug in the DFR (asking if the Onkyo app is the default app). Anyway to disable the popup permanently?

Jun 13, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #3,499 of 5,077
I don't know if it was Audioquest's FW update or Apple's iOS update (or both) but my DFR no longer has the occasional pops/clicks when using a USB2 CCK in the few days of at least 15 hours total that I've been using it. May it long continue!

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,501 of 5,077
What about SQ?
I made a comparison with cck USB3 and this one sounds better to my ears...
It's blasphemous on this forum but I don't really pay that much attention to SQ unless it is really bad.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,502 of 5,077
In case you're thinking about buying a Dragonfly, here are some initial impressions. I just bought a red one. FYI I'm listening on a pair of Monolith 1060 planar headphones without any other hardware in the mix, and I'm streaming Tidal via Audirvana.

The first thing I did was play classical. Impression: negative. Sounded like the DF was emphasizing things in the mids that I just did not want emphasized. The piano sounded harsh.

After about three hours (this was a marathon night session; luckily, I'm off work today), I switched genres. Instead of orchestral, I started playing rock/pop/rap/hip-hop. In other words, I started playing songs, stuff with lead vocals in it. Here things get much better.

Unamped, the M1060 pushes lead vocals back on some recordings. The voice tends to sound recessed, with no spotlight on it, as if it were just another instrument in the group. After adding the DFR, lead vocals have much more presence. So the DFR fixed a specific problem I was having with a specific pair of headphones, and I'm very happy about this.

The DFR does not widen the soundstage on my M1060. But in this case that's a good thing. DFR makes things sound more cohesive and integrated.

I have little doubt right now that adding the DFR offered me a huge improvement in the sonics of a certain type of music compared to just plugging my headphones into my MacBook's headphone jack. But with classical I'd recommend the Meridian Explorer2 for the same price.

I did have a problem with the ME2 in that my MacBook suddenly stopped recognizing it. I returned it. But I intend to buy another for listening to classical. It could be that the Dragonfly needed to break in. I don't know if I believe in break-in, but, just in case, I intend to throw some more classical at it later today. I will post if I notice an improvement.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #3,503 of 5,077
Quick question... I'm seriously considering to buy the Red, but I wonder how I would go about equalizing these on my notebook. Whilst it might be entirely possible that the Red sounds "right" for me I'd like to have the ability to tone down any sibilance I might get. As far as I can tell there is no driver that directly interfaces with the device, so I suppose I'd need some kind of software equalizer (i.e. the one in Foobar2000). Is that correct?

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3,505 of 5,077
Are you using iOS 10.3.x? If so, join the club. :triportsad:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7932507?start=0&tstart=0

Many reports of this problem with a range of DACs on this forum.
I've never had a problem with the DFR however with my new RHA L1, I've joined the club...

I have a way of stopping the disconnects, works over many hours, although some will say it is just coincidence...

After starting your music, forcibly turn off the screen (power button), and the world is good, mine seems to cut out if the screen timed out.

YMMV - but worth a try :wink:

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #3,507 of 5,077
Jun 14, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #3,509 of 5,077
I couldn't tell any difference bet/ red and black.

To my ears there wasn't a huge difference between the Red and Black. I ended up buying the Black with the JitterBug and not the Red model as I preferred the Black DragonFly's ever so slightly darker/softer (more mellow?) sound signature and lower volume control... it was much easier to fine tune and adjust to a lower volume than on the Red which was much, much louder due to its higher amp output. So I saved myself some money choosing the black variant over the red one as I hadn't quite realized there was such a dramatic price difference between the two! What was the most surprising to me was that I honestly couldn't pinpoint any major improvement with either a Deckard or Benchmark DAC3 over the DragonFly Black... slowly coming to the realization (I am a slow learner) that anything beyond the DragonFly is simply overkill and well past that diminishing point of worthy returns.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back