New Eastern Electric CDP sounding great out of the box
Mar 25, 2005 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

iano

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I just took delivery (today) of my new EE CDP - and although there has been absolutely no burn in, I have to say it sounds absolutely fantastic. I am playing it through a new Scott Nixon DAC to a reasonably new Headroom Maxed Out Home (Ref module), so there's evry chance for the result to sound rough with all the elements being quite new. Incidentally I have also tried it with its native headphone amp/socket which also sounds very good. I have been focused on portable gear for the last few years and forgot (until now) how great a really good source can sound without the inevitable compromises for portability.

I have considering doing a review of the various headphone amps I have and wanted to use a good quality source, and settled on the EE CDP since I have recently become a tube devotee, but also like my MOH SS amp. Now I feel I have the source I need - just need to let it all burn in for a few weeks and I can get on with comparing by listening to some of my favorite music (a great excuse to actually listen to some music!!).

It might even have cured me of the constant need for upgrades - though I'll see if I wake up in the same frame of mind tomorrow. At least I am focused right now on the music I am listening to and not the amp!

Anyway - more updates later on...just had to share the joy. Ian [iano]

Mar 25, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 4
Congratulations on your purchase. I've had mine for a couple of months and have found it be an amazing little machine. I have not had an opportunity to compare to any higher end cdp's but hope to do so at the South Florida meet in June. I have been toying with the idea of sending in for mods but until I see how it stacks up against some other players in stock form I will hold off. I think the next move is to try some other tubes. Elnero has an excellent review and some posts where he discusses tuberolling the minimax. I also find the headphone out to be very good. However, I just got my Eddie Current HD25 back and I have to say, I prefer it to the minimax. At least that is my initial reaction.

Mar 26, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 4
Congrats on the purchase Ian. It sounds like you're basically using the MiniMax as a transport is this correct?

Mar 26, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 4
Thats correct - its currently plugged into the scott nixon DAC and MOH (via the coax out) and into an MG Head OTL32 from the phone/rca out.

While I might use the headphone socket in the CDP itself in the future, I'm not planning on that being in the main plan.

Sounds really good so far - of course EE reccomend 100 hours of burn in, so I'm some way from that point.

Ian [iano]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back