New(er) HP's
Nov 15, 2017 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

musicbuff

100+ Head-Fier
In the last 5-10 years a lot of new and EXPENSIVE HP's have been produced. I own a modified Hifiman HE-6 and the Sennheiser HD 650. The HE-6 is driven by my stereo power amp (Primare A32) with WyWires Red Series XLR cables and sounds fantastic. Alas curiosity is lurking. Are there any HE-6 owners/lovers (past and/or present) who've added or moved on to newer HP's for increased sound quality? Which HP's were added and what did they add that the HE-6 didn't give? (And in fairness) what amp did you use to power your HE-6 and what HP amp are you using to power your new HP's? I've owned (then sold) the Grado SR60 & GS1000E, Sennheiser HD 580 & HD 800, and the Audeze LCD-X. I've also owned and sold the Sennheiser HDVA 600 and Violectric V281 HP amps. Both were very good (but Violectric was the best of both) for my headphones. The first time I heard the HE-6 I was in love with it's sound (even unmodded) & was smitten by the bass. I'd never before had HP's where I FELT the bass vibrate my ears and head while having a detailed mid and upper range like the HE-6. Is there better? I've looked at the Hifiman Susvara HP because it also needs a powerful amp (I wouldn't need to buy a new HP amp) but that $6000 price tag is prohibitive. I've read the less-expensive HE 1000 V2 is pretty sweet, too, though not as sweet as the Susvara. I've also considered upgrading my HP cable to the WyWires Platinum which would be a lot cheaper than buying a new HP. I know Alex of WyWires makes a superb product and I wouldn't be disappointed. I'd appreciate any and all input on this matter. Should I be content or go looking (listening)?

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 9
In the last 5-10 years a lot of new and EXPENSIVE HP's have been produced. I own a modified Hifiman HE-6 and the Sennheiser HD 650. The HE-6 is driven by my stereo power amp (Primare A32) with WyWires Red Series XLR cables and sounds fantastic. Alas curiosity is lurking. Are there any HE-6 owners/lovers (past and/or present) who've added or moved on to newer HP's for increased sound quality? Which HP's were added and what did they add that the HE-6 didn't give? (And in fairness) what amp did you use to power your HE-6 and what HP amp are you using to power your new HP's? I've owned (then sold) the Grado SR60 & GS1000E, Sennheiser HD 580 & HD 800, and the Audeze LCD-X. I've also owned and sold the Sennheiser HDVA 600 and Violectric V281 HP amps. Both were very good (but Violectric was the best of both) for my headphones. The first time I heard the HE-6 I was in love with it's sound (even unmodded) & was smitten by the bass. I'd never before had HP's where I FELT the bass vibrate my ears and head while having a detailed mid and upper range like the HE-6. Is there better? I've looked at the Hifiman Susvara HP because it also needs a powerful amp (I wouldn't need to buy a new HP amp) but that $6000 price tag is prohibitive. I've read the less-expensive HE 1000 V2 is pretty sweet, too, though not as sweet as the Susvara. I've also considered upgrading my HP cable to the WyWires Platinum which would be a lot cheaper than buying a new HP. I know Alex of WyWires makes a superb product and I wouldn't be disappointed. I'd appreciate any and all input on this matter. Should I be content or go looking (listening)?

With the system you have, I would really just go on enjoying it, the HE-6 are still world class headphones and you would need to jump up to the Abyss or Susvara to get a real upgrade.

Stop chasing the gear :D a nice new cable would likely suffice for now if you really want to buy something.

On another note, are you using any resistors in the path between amp and headphones?

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 9
Agree with sticking to the HE-6.
I think you're much better off looking into modifying the HE-6.

Replacing the perforrated steel grills with speaker cloth (or pantyhose) will make them sound even more open and airy.
And maybe try out an updated set of ear pads. I don't have a good recommendation for this, as for my HE-500 I went from stock pads to Kennerton Odin pads.
I havn't tried out any other popular options, but you definitely want to keep the internal pad size the same.
As soon as you have a smaller pad opening, much of the airiness is choked.

Nov 16, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the advice. I have modified my HE-6's to my liking (I ditched the steel grills for pantyhose and use a highly modified ear pad). Just wondered if anything new had topped its sound quality. As far as resistors go, no, not using any. (Don't know how) so please explain the purpose and how to. The highest volume I turn my preamp (Primare Pre32) up to (during a listening session) is around 33 but mostly hoover around 30. I've used a dB-digital sound level meter on the HE-6's and the max has never gone higher than 74dB. When I'm done listening I turn the volume down to around 10 and disconnect the cable. I read a horror story about another owner blowing his drivers so I'm extra cautious. Guess I'll start saving my quarters for a new Platinum WyWire cable :)

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the advice. I have modified my HE-6's to my liking (I ditched the steel grills for pantyhose and use a highly modified ear pad). Just wondered if anything new had topped its sound quality. As far as resistors go, no, not using any. (Don't know how) so please explain the purpose and how to. The highest volume I turn my preamp (Primare Pre32) up to (during a listening session) is around 33 but mostly hoover around 30. I've used a dB-digital sound level meter on the HE-6's and the max has never gone higher than 74dB. When I'm done listening I turn the volume down to around 10 and disconnect the cable. I read a horror story about another owner blowing his drivers so I'm extra cautious. Guess I'll start saving my quarters for a new Platinum WyWire cable :)

You don't need resistors, don't worry. I am planning on driving HE500's from a similar power amp and wondered if it will be too powerful (shall see when they both arrive).

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 9
I am planning on driving HE500's from a similar power amp and wondered if it will be too powerful (shall see when they both arrive).

All I can say is turn your volume to zero before you connect your phones. Put your phones on your head and advance slowly. Let us know the outcome. I think you're probably in for a fantastic listening experience!

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #7 of 9
All I can say is turn your volume to zero before you connect your phones. Put your phones on your head and advance slowly. Let us know the outcome. I think you're probably in for a fantastic listening experience!

I used to run them off my Marantz PM-5005 no issues, but the new amp is a bit more powerful (half the power of yours though):

http://keces-audio-usa.com/products/S-125

To be honest the pre-amp is a DAC and headphone amp that should be sufficient for the HE-500 anyway in balanced mode:

http://keces-audio-usa.com/products/S-3

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 9
It's always exciting to step up to new equipment. Just read a favorable review on your Keces. My 1st DAC was an Asus Xonar Essence One (DAC/HP amp combo) and it was great. I'm a true believer in going balanced when possible. In my own listening comparisons, XLR always topped RCA (even with high-end RCA cables). I'm not saying that's always the case because I've read RCA can be excellent, too and is used in many high end pieces. I just haven't found that to be the case for myself. Keep us posted on your journey with your new set up when it arrives.

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 9
As mentioned above,a properly driven HE-6 is pretty much unbeatable at the price point.
Abyss,Utopia and perhaps the Pioneer SE Master1 are worthy,but at a much higher cost.

I had two drivers fail on a brand new pair of HE-6 within a year,so I felt obligated to sell my pair before the warranty expired.The experience has left me bitter towards HiFiMan's QC.
If not for the QC issues I'd most likely never have considered selling,and to replace them with a comparable sound is something beyond my budgetary limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back