New, Fully Balanced Burson Conductor 3X: Dual ESS9038, 7.5wpc XLR, 3.75wpc SE Headamp, Changeable Opamps
Apr 13, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #241 of 528
So if I'm using the device as a headphone amp/DAC and not as a preamp, and my headphones don't require gobs of power, then I'll get "amazing microdynamics" and a better signal to noise ratio that is already good enough on the non-balanced Conductor that I'll never hear the noise through headphones. Does that sum it up accurately?

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #242 of 528
So if I'm using the device as a headphone amp/DAC and not as a preamp, and my headphones don't require gobs of power, then I'll get "amazing microdynamics" and a better signal to noise ratio that is already good enough on the non-balanced Conductor that I'll never hear the noise through headphones. Does that sum it up accurately?
If you don't need a balanced amp then the non balanced version of the Conductor 3 series is all you will ever need. Their performance is virtually identical. But by going with a truly balanced designed amp, it will net you some the sonic improvements Burson is describing. To be honest, you really need to have some top rated headphones to properly distinguish the two. Headphones that don't have the resolving ability of something like a Focal Utopia or an Abyss Diana for example, you would be hard press to even hear those differences.

I think the Conductor 3X was made for people like myself who want to squeeze every ounce of detail out of music and our headphones. The Conductor 3x is not a necessity, but more of a luxury item.

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #243 of 528
Its balanced headphone output delivers 7.5W per channel while its half-the-power single-ended output is still powerful enough to drive any headphones with ease.
On my review I found out that 10% of THD is achieved pretty close to 15W, while 1% of THD is achieved somewhere between 13.5-14W, so like always Burson is extremely conservative on declaring the output power. Probably the 7.5W is the nominal output power, while the absolute max. power is pretty close to double.

This probably makes it the most powerful combo ever built. However, there are few companies building headphone-amps getting to 15W and even more, derived from speakers amp, but I'm not aware of such powerful combo audio equipment...yet.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #244 of 528
On my review I found out that 10% of THD is achieved pretty close to 15W, while 1% of THD is achieved somewhere between 13.5-14W, so like always Burson is extremely conservative on declaring the output power. Probably the 7.5W is the nominal output power, while the absolute max. power is pretty close to double.

This probably makes it the most powerful combo ever built. However, there are few companies building headphone-amps getting to 15W and even more, derived from speakers amp, but I'm not aware of such powerful combo audio equipment...yet.
It is very impressive for a headphone amp indeed. What’s more impressive is it does that while also being very musical. I’ve gone through a lot of amps searching for the right combination of power, musicality, the ability to handle huge dynamic swings and maintain compose at high volumes. It also had to be versatile enough to work with a wide variety of headphones. I’m finally happy say I’m a proud owner of the Conductor 3XR.

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #245 of 528
So if I use the 3XR with my Roon Nucleus it will be connected with the usb cable . Will this give me a fully balanced headphone amp ?
Trying to understand all of this :relaxed:

PS I have balanced cables for both of my headphone so if I go for the 3R model I will have the added expense of new cables so the cost d of the models is similar

Anyway I have ordered my 3XR today :relaxed:

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #246 of 528
So if I use the 3XR with my Roon Nucleus it will be connected with the usb cable . Will this give me a fully balanced headphone amp ?
Trying to understand all of this :relaxed:

PS I have balanced cables for both of my headphone so if I go for the 3R model I will have the added expense of new cables so the cost d of the models is similar

Anyway I have ordered my 3XR today :relaxed:
Yes, connecting your Roon Nucleus to the Conductor 3XR via USB will give you all the benefits of the amp. Secondly, if you go with the non balanced version of the Conductor 3 you will need to get an balanced to singled ended adapter. That way you won’t have to replace your current cables.

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #247 of 528
Yes, connecting your Roon Nucleus to the Conductor 3XR via USB will give you all the benefits of the amp. Secondly, if you go with the non balanced version of the Conductor 3 you will need to get an balanced to singled ended adapter. That way you won’t have to replace your current cables.

Yes this was one of the reasons I went for the 3XR. It should arrive tomorrow so cant wait to here it. Thanks for the reply

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #248 of 528
Yes this was one of the reasons I went for the 3XR. It should arrive tomorrow so cant wait to here it. Thanks for the reply
Great, I hope you enjoy it. Mine is still burning in, but I’m liking what I’m hearing.

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #249 of 528
Great, I hope you enjoy it. Mine is still burning in, but I’m liking what I’m hearing.

Yes I am looking forward to getting it. I intend to use it with my Roon Nucleus initially . Then i have a house move planned and it may be moved to just be used with Tidal from my Phone , IPad or Desktop.
It will be interesting to compare it with the Taurus as its a fantastic amp, but you know this hobby ......always looking for that step up :relaxed:

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #250 of 528
Yes I am looking forward to getting it. I intend to use it with my Roon Nucleus initially . Then i have a house move planned and it may be moved to just be used with Tidal from my Phone , IPad or Desktop.
It will be interesting to compare it with the Taurus as its a fantastic amp, but you know this hobby ......always looking for that step up :relaxed:
Yes, it can become an endless cycle. Especially if you're chasing the ultimate in sound. I've gone through some many different amps and headphones trying to find a sound that I like. In my search, I've learned that there are no perfect headphones. The Hifiman Susvara's and the Abyss Phi TC's come the closest to sonic perfection that I've heard.

I can say, the 3XR is the first dedicated headphone amp that I am happy to pair the Susvara's with. Before I got the it, I preferred driving my Susvara's with power amps. The 3XR not only has the power to drive them, but it adds musicality, a hint of warmth while remaining detailed, clear and fast. It's that combination of attributes that's missing from the majority of other amps I've tried the Susvara's on. If an amp can push the Susvara's to this level, it shouldn't have any problems driving less demanding headphones. The Susvara's are harder to drive than the HE6's and it's seems to be more picky about what's it paired with.

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #251 of 528
Yes, it can become an endless cycle. Especially if you're chasing the ultimate in sound. I've gone through some many different amps and headphones trying to find a sound that I like. In my search, I've learned that there are no perfect headphones. The Hifiman Susvara's and the Abyss Phi TC's come the closest to sonic perfection that I've heard.

I can say, the 3XR is the first dedicated headphone amp that I am happy to pair the Susvara's with. Before I got the it, I preferred driving my Susvara's with power amps. The 3XR not only has the power to drive them, but it adds musicality, a hint of warmth while remaining detailed, clear and fast. It's that combination of attributes that's missing from the majority of other amps I've tried the Susvara's on. If an amp can push the Susvara's to this level, it shouldn't have any problems driving less demanding headphones. The Susvara's are harder to drive than the HE6's and it's seems to be more picky about what's it paired with.

This will only be the third HP amp I have owned since I started my headphone journey some 15 years ago so I tend not to change a lot of components. Once i get a piece of kit I tend to keep it if I am happy. For some reason I am enjoying headphone listening more and more so in this lockdown I am spending little cash.......so I thought upgrading was a good option :smiley:
You mention two of the headphones that I would love to own one day, but they are a little daer for me. I have the HEK and the HD800S and I am particularly keen to pair it with the HEK.
I have it on a 30 day trial but I am sure it will be a keeper

PS If my unit arrives with a USB cable that does not work I will literally scream :smiley: After reading this thread this does seem to be an issue

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #252 of 528
I am probably gonna get back into the hobby here. I was going to go for the IFI pro IDSD but saw thing thing and am considering it. Any takes on a comparison?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #253 of 528
This will only be the third HP amp I have owned since I started my headphone journey some 15 years ago so I tend not to change a lot of components. Once i get a piece of kit I tend to keep it if I am happy. For some reason I am enjoying headphone listening more and more so in this lockdown I am spending little cash.......so I thought upgrading was a good option :smiley:
You mention two of the headphones that I would love to own one day, but they are a little daer for me. I have the HEK and the HD800S and I am particularly keen to pair it with the HEK.
I have it on a 30 day trial but I am sure it will be a keeper

PS If my unit arrives with a USB cable that does not work I will literally scream :smiley: After reading this thread this does seem to be an issue
The USB cable that comes with the unit does not work. I had to use a different USB-C cable in order to get my computer to work with the 3XR. So be prepared to change out the cable unless Burson has supplied a newer version.

Apr 15, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #254 of 528
The USB cable that comes with the unit does not work. I had to use a different USB-C cable in order to get my computer to work with the 3XR. So be prepared to change out the cable unless Burson has supplied a newer version.

Wow this is crazy if true as there are posts from 4 months ago on this forum highlighting this issue. Thanks for the heads up though although I dont have another USB C cable and we are on a lockdown. This will be frustrating to say the least :open_mouth:

Edit I may have one as I had a cable to transfer data on my ibasso dx200. Seem to recall it was usb c......just need to find it

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #255 of 528
I am probably gonna get back into the hobby here. I was going to go for the IFI pro IDSD but saw thing thing and am considering it. Any takes on a comparison?
@grizzlybeast I think a lot of us would love to see you back in the game. Your reviews are missed! I was all set to get the iFi Pro stack but I got tired of waiting on the Pro iDSD. So I sold the energizer and the Pro iCan. I did hear the Pro iDSD and thought it was awesome. It's not as detailed or insightful as Chord's offerings but it's a little bit more musical and warmer sounding. I think it works better with the Pro iCan than on its own. I didn't feel the amp section was as transparent and the Pro iCan's. The 3XR is a much better all in one unit in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back