New guy in need of some help
Dec 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

byoung80

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking here for the past couple of days, kinda new to high end headphones and need some advise. I have been looking at 3 different headphones. 1. Sennheiser HD 598, 2. Grado SR 225i, and the Audio Technica ATH M50S/LE.

I don't have an amp yet but will be getting one very soon, I use an iPad, iPhone, and the new iPod nano for music. I listen to mainly alternative like Imagine Dragon, Mumford and sons, I also listen to Kings of Leon. I also listen to hip/hop and R&B.

Just looking for some advise on these 3, I'm leaning towards the Sennheisers.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 8
Heya,

Well, none of them need an amp. So maybe put that amp money towards better headphones.

The HD598 is nice, good sound stage, but pretty shy on bass (barely neutral to me really). The SR225i is fantastic sounding in all ways, but is uncomfortable to wear (on-ear). The M50 is an over-priced toy in all respects except durability (weak small sound stage, sounds average in general, but has great build quality, I consider it over priced and way over hyped).

Do you need isolation/privacy?

Maybe consider:

AudioTechnica A900X
AKG K167
Beyer Custom One Pro

Very best,

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 8
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]I mainly listen to them in my room, so isolation/privacy isn't an issue. Thanks for you fast response. I've read that the 598s lack in bass. So the grados may the better choice.

I will look into the Beyerdynamics, how about the AKG 240 MK II?

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I mainly listen to them in my room, so isolation/privacy isn't an issue. Thanks for you fast response. I've read that the 598s lack in bass. So the grados may the better choice.
I will look into the Beyerdynamics, how about the AKG 240 MK II?

Alot of people think the grados of your choice also lack bass. I own the HD598's, and to my ears the bass is perfect for me. Then i heard the Hifiman he-400... my  god lovely sound :)

EDIT ^

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I've been lurking here for the past couple of days, kinda new to high end headphones and need some advise. I have been looking at 3 different headphones. 1. Sennheiser HD 598, 2. Grado SR 225i, and the Audio Technica ATH M50S/LE.
I don't have an amp yet but will be getting one very soon, I use an iPad, iPhone, and the new iPod nano for music. I listen to mainly alternative like Imagine Dragon, Mumford and sons, I also listen to Kings of Leon. I also listen to hip/hop and R&B.

The 598's i think would be the safest choice. The 598's and AKG Q701's were my first headphones 
beerchug.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Sometimes you can get used HD558s for just over $100.
The Fiio E11 head amp. sells for $60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back