New headphones
Jan 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #18 of 39
Okay, sorry for the necro, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

What I need in the headphones:

~Isolation.  Not Noisecancelling, but closed back.

~Good sound.  I listen to everything from pop, to country, to even screamo.  I'm very varied!

~Price range of up to $200

~Portability.  This is the biggest factor.  I will be using them with my iPhone 4, as well as some regular mp3 players.

~I need them to be able to sound good without an amp.  I will not be using an amp for the time being.t

Thank you in advance!  I am getting headphones for my birthday, and I want to enter the audiophile community the right way.  I have looked at ATH-M50, ATH-A700, and a few others.  I just dont know what to get.

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #19 of 39
Does it matter if they're on-ear? The HD-25's are good with any genre and they isolate well (due to the clamp force and good seal). Some people complain that they're not so comfortable, but I have no complaints.

The M50's are great but might be a little too bulky for portable use. But that's subjective. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #20 of 39
Fischer FA-003 seems to be popular neutral-ish headphones drivable enough without an amp, provides the closed back design and according to forums about it it is comfortable and relatively portable.

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #21 of 39
Yes, I really prefer over the ear headphones. Thank you both for the suggestions and advice. Any more is very welcome. :) I will be checking out those headphones by the way.

Jan 29, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #25 of 39
Do a search on the phiaton ms 400. From what I hear they sound great and isolate very well. They also look very comfy and light weight making them very portable.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #26 of 39
They look pretty sexy, and most of the reviews are good.  The wire is very thin though.  I will definetly keep these in mind.  Any more suggestions? So far, I've looked at the ATH-A700, ATH-M50, Phiaton MS 400,  and the Fischer FA-003

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #27 of 39
I have the ATH-A700s and have been quite happy with them. As for portability, I guess that depends on what you are willing to carry. They are rather large, but isloate well and I don't mind wearing them for extended periods.

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #28 of 39

Quote:
I have the ATH-A700s and have been quite happy with them. As for portability, I guess that depends on what you are willing to carry. They are rather large, but isloate well and I don't mind wearing them for extended periods.

I heard their soundstage is one of the best for the price.  What's your take on it?  

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #29 of 39
  Koss Pro DJ100's . Awsome sound at a reasonable price , around $80 from Best Buy .   Comes with Koss lifetime warranty which they will replace even if you sit on them and break them.  They are chrystal clear on acoustic music.  I will say I have not tried them on a mp3 player , I strictly use these on my Onkyo stereo receiver  and they sound  amazing.   Someone did mention they might need a amp for use on a mp3 player . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back