New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Aug 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3,001 of 6,017
Just sold my HD650s for the HE-400's and have no regrets, these phones are awesome to say the least.  I love the clarity and the bass, but most impressive to me is the huge increase is soundstage!  I am sold on planar magnetics.

Running them like so:  FLAC -> Coaxial Gamma2 -> O2 -> HE-400.

Still waiting on my velour pads though.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #3,002 of 6,017
To be fair, the issue you encountered with the pad quality is only one of I think 3 cases in this thread, out of dozens if not more owners who peruse and/or post here. For now I have zero complaints with the pads I have, we'll see a few more months down the line though.

Oh I don't think I'm the victim of defective pad quality. I think it's just the overall pad design in relation to a stronger than average headband grip and warmer than average weather with relatively average ears :) I held the velour with the spacer and the one without up to my ears (detached from the cans) and smushed them into my head as much as the cans would. The top of my earlope stuck out well beyond the ring, pushing against the acoustic cloth. The one with the spacer didn't do so that much, though even still did a little

I don't have particularly wide ears or anything....I don't have issues with any other earpads other than those cheap thin stock Denon pads...but on there it wasn't as big a deal since the ear just touches a smooth grille over the driver rather than the grid-cage of HFM that tends to hurt more.

If the pads were 1/4" deeper there'd be no problem. But I still think HFM would do well to redesign an entirely new pad system with big wedged pads. Not for the "flaws" or comfort as much as to improve soundstage and center image.

I suspect the pads wouldn't end up causing pain in the winter....the pads are noticibly firmer when room temp is below 80F :) Don't you canucks understand heat? :wink: But even then, there's plenty of room for pad improvement in terms of comfort, and HFM has a record of listening to their customers :) So I imagine there will be better pads around eventually!

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #3,003 of 6,017
Quote:
I'm sure people would be willing to pay $20 or $30 for a pair of HFM velours if they use heavy-duty sewing and better QC on them.

I, personally, don't feel as though we should have to pay more for higher quality.  If HifiMAN wants to put their name on a product and sell it, they should ensure that the proper QC checks are in place.  I'm sure even at the current prices, HifiMAN is profiting off the sales of the pads.  However, they are not taking enough of that profit to create a QC position to oversee the product that they are procuring an selling..

Quote:
Just sold my HD650s for the HE-400's and have no regrets, these phones are awesome to say the least.  I love the clarity and the bass, but most impressive to me is the huge increase is soundstage!  I am sold on planar magnetics.

Running them like so:  FLAC -> Coaxial Gamma2 -> O2 -> HE-400.

Still waiting on my velour pads though.

Welcome to the club.  I've never heard a pair of HD-650s or even the HD-600s.  But, I did pick up a pair of HD-580s that I do like.  I think the HD-580, while a predecessor to the 600 / 650 models, had a bit more of an airy sound, which people have indicated is not present in the HD-650.  Interesting stuff, though.

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #3,004 of 6,017
Quote:

Welcome to the club.  I've never heard a pair of HD-650s or even the HD-600s.  But, I did pick up a pair of HD-580s that I do like.  I think the HD-580, while a predecessor to the 600 / 650 models, had a bit more of an airy sound, which people have indicated is not present in the HD-650.  Interesting stuff, though.

Best I can describe is the HD650's are great headphones but to me they sounded like headphones, while the HE-400's sound more like listening to speakers, I'm sure that has to do with the drivers presenting a flatter wave more like a speaker.  I also find the HE-400's to have less of a veiled sound.

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #3,005 of 6,017
I found them in the HE-400 review. I'm looking for a 3.5mm cable because I will be connecting them to my Audioengine D1. Budget of $170 and below.

The stock cable IS 3.5mm with a 6.3 (1/4") adapter. Don't see any reason to buy such a thing.

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #3,006 of 6,017
I, personally, don't feel as though we should have to pay more for higher quality.  If HifiMAN wants to put their name on a product and sell it, they should ensure that the proper QC checks are in place.  I'm sure even at the current prices, HifiMAN is profiting off the sales of the pads.  However, they are not taking enough of that profit to create a QC position to oversee the product that they are procuring an selling..

Best I can describe is the HD650's are great headphones but to me they sounded like headphones, while the HE-400's sound more like listening to speakers, I'm sure that has to do with the drivers presenting a flatter wave more like a speaker.  I also find the HE-400's to have less of a veiled sound.

IMO a $10 pad is pretty cheap, though these are pretty cheaply made. HFM can do better, and I think eventually they will. I don't blame the QC as much as the actual design though :) They look and feel Chinese in every bad stereotypical way. The rest of the headphone does not, more or less

Personally I still feel that HD650 and HE-400 make ideal compliments. I think they're pretty much equals overall with different strengths and weaknesses. Arguably HD650 is even "superior" technically, but depeding on music genre the HE-400 can be more idea. Classical for example, I enjoy on HE-400 over HD650. World and some jazz I tend to prefer on HD650.

Both can be speaker-like if well driven, but HD650 is choosier of what amp you pair it with to do so. I agree, HE-400 can sound more speaker-like in the right situation, but once you put it on some good tubes, so can HD650. It won't happen on SS though

I wouldn't want to part with either one of them! But if I mostly listened to a genre HE-400 excelled in, that would certainly be my pick! :)

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #3,007 of 6,017
Eh, their velours pads are no different from Sennheiser's or even Beyerdynamics in my hands.  They all do the same for me.  Beyers are super soft material, though.  Beyer trades firmness for comfort, thus their pads get squished easily.

I don't really get how an HD650 sounding speaker-like-- whatever that means, couldn't be done on an SS compared to a tube amp.  Sounds like another one of those hyperboles made on head-fi about amping.

I can't really see any areas of HD650 being technically better either, other than its blacker background.  Boy is it black!

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #3,008 of 6,017
He said the HE400 sounds speaker-like and the 650 didn't. I can understand that. The HE400 doesn't sound like a traditional headphone. Its like 2 speakers strapped to your head.

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #3,009 of 6,017
Quote:
So I am thinking of purchasing a custom cable for the HE-400. Any good recommendations?

I'm thinking of these: http://www.thecablepro.com/cablepro-earcandy-hifiman-he300-upgrade-replacement-cable.html

I found them in the HE-400 review. I'm looking for a 3.5mm cable because I will be connecting them to my Audioengine D1. Budget of $170 and below.

EDIT: This one also seems promising:
http://www.thecablepro.com/panorama-hifiman-he300-he4-upgrade-replacement-headphone-cable.html

EDIT 2: Didn't realize I could ask for a different termination for the Toxic Cables. Has anyone used these:
http://toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_62&product_id=83

I've used several cables for the he400. The two best sounding to me were the moon audio dragon and the Q audio cable. Given that the Q cable is SOOO much easier to use, I'm currently using it and don't plan to change. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #3,011 of 6,017
I've got the Toxic on order.. should be here any day.  I'll let you know.
Quote:
So I am thinking of purchasing a custom cable for the HE-400. Any good recommendations?

I'm thinking of these: http://www.thecablepro.com/cablepro-earcandy-hifiman-he300-upgrade-replacement-cable.html

EDIT: This one also seems promising:
http://www.thecablepro.com/panorama-hifiman-he300-he4-upgrade-replacement-headphone-cable.html

EDIT 2: Didn't realize I could ask for a different termination for the Toxic Cables. Has anyone used these:
http://toxic-cables.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_62&product_id=83

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #3,012 of 6,017
Was just at the Toronto HeadFi meet. I listened to my HE400 with a different amp (not sure which one but think it was an older Headroom) and it smoked the Lyr. The HE400 never sounded so good!  it took it to another level. Now seriously considering the Violetric V200.

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #3,013 of 6,017
Was just at the Toronto HeadFi meet. I listened to my HE400 with a different amp (not sure which one but think it was an older Headroom) and it smoked the Lyr. The HE400 never sounded so good!  it took it to another level. Now seriously considering the Violetric V200.

^ Heard good things about violetric!
Wish I could be at a headfi meet in Toronto :p
Planning to go work in Canada next year, still trying to decide between Van & Toronto..

Aug 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #3,015 of 6,017
For those who have heard both, do you think someone (aka me) who used to have and liked the HE-5LE would be content with the HE-400? I'm jonesing for a planar, having sold my HE-5LE and LCD-2. My financial situation does not currently allow me to buy another $2k system. But I could probably swing an HE-400 and hook it up to my Ibasso D7 for now. Then buy another Asgard and use the D7 as a DAC.

Alternatively, I'm looking at going the electrostatic route and trying to grab a Koss ESP-950 when one is onsale (around $600 vs $999 msrp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back