New Hifiman Headphone HE-400 is out
Oct 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #4,681 of 6,017
Quote:

Aren't you also returning them in the first place though, to get the fixed non-defective rev2 HE400s?

Anyway regardless, it just sounds like there is too much clamp, which is easy to fix - hold the two corners of the headband with your two hands, stretch/bend until the headband is completely flat, hold it like that for like a minute, and voila. I don't see why you're having trouble with that at all.

I already did that... I've left them stretched out on a pillow for the past hour or so, maybe they'll be better now. What's hard is that I'm not sure if it's my HD600s or the HE400s causing it, to be honest. The HD600s don't make me feel like I have a ring around my ears, but they go on the same spot that the HE400s do and I've worn the HD600s a lot longer since I got them than I have the HE400s.

Edit: Okay, I flattened them out even more, gripping the mounts that say HE-400 and specifically bending those flatter. They're certainly much less clampy now. I'm leaving my HD600s on the pillow for now, as I think those are tighter. I would love them even more if they weren't as tight as they are. It's not awful but it could definitely be improved. The only problem I have with the HE400s and the way you can position them is that some positions, though more comfortable, don't complete a seal around my ears. They do feel better after stretching them out, though. I'd love to mod the headband with a Beyer pad or something. Would make them even better. I want to try and work in the velour pads so they get squishier. They're pretty stiff as it is right now.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #4,683 of 6,017
Quote:
Has anyone actually owned a r2 and r3 at the same time? Has Hifiman commented on a change in sound signature? Just curious what's going on with these.

1) Yes, l95North had a direct A/B comparison between his own r2, and his friend's r3, units.

2) Yes, Hifiman commented on the change in sound; it is a nasty treble ringing which is a side effect of their recent attempt at reinforcing the magnet structure, so they are reverting it in all future units, including the ones that they will replace for us with r3 units.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #4,685 of 6,017
Quote:
I'm also going to get rid of m HE-400's.

On the Head-Direct site it says:

Warranty
(Refund/Replacement)
Warranty Expired
(Refund/Replacement)

30 / 60 Days​
2012-11-5/
2012-12-5​

So I assume that means I have till 11-5 to send back for a refund and 12-5 to have them replaced. I've emailed them to make sure before sending it off. If I don't fall under it, then I'll just put them up for sale on Head-Fi at a reduced price.

I actually love the HE-400's. It's just, I ended up liking the HD-650's slightly more - and want to spend my money building a unit for it (Lyr/Bifrost). And then I planned on going for the LCD-2's again later in the year. So I can't really see myself using the HE-400's. 

Actually you renew your 1yr warranty (The replacement info on your order page is faulty; actual replacement duration is 1 year, if you check on the HE400 order page) every time you get a replacement from HFM...I asked them about this some time ago to confirm.

So if your pair is rev3 and you send in for replacement, you'll be able to replace again until Oct 2013, and so on and so forth ad nauseum.

But I don't think you could refund it unless you received them after Sep 7. It's a strict 30-day refund period.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #4,686 of 6,017
Okay, thanks for the heads up. I misunderstood what was on the site.

Going to just list these on HeadFi then. Thanks again. :)
Quote:

Actually you renew your 1yr warranty (The replacement info on your order page is faulty; actual replacement duration is 1 year, if you check on the HE400 order page) every time you get a replacement from HFM...I asked them about this some time ago to confirm.

So if your pair is rev3 and you send in for replacement, you'll be able to replace again until Oct 2013, and so on and so forth ad nauseum.

But I don't think you could refund it unless you received them after Sep 7. It's a strict 30-day refund period.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #4,687 of 6,017
Wow.. mini mass exodus.
I wanted a taste of orthos and these gave me a good introduction.  I'll probably be keeping mine until I can afford to get some LCD2's. After hearing the LCD2, it's probably my end game.  In the mean time, I'll keep enjoying the HE400.
Quote:
I'm also going to get rid of m HE-400's.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #4,688 of 6,017
It was actually coincidental that I'm selling mine at the same time as others. I bought the HD-650 about a month ago, after going back the HD-600s for a few months. I got an appetite for Orthos again (since I used to own the LCD-2s) - and I thought the HE-400 would hold me over.

But now I want to focus more on the 650 and go back to the LCD-2. So really, it's just me wanting to pour money into building a set up for myself. I'm currently ONLY using an e17 etc. I actually think the HE-400's are brilliant headphones, and IMO probably the best cans you can get for the price range. I'm just doubling what I'm willing to spend to upgrade my habit. If I wasn't going to spend so much on a rig + LCD-2, then I would definitely keep the HE-400s. Hands down. 
Quote:
Wow.. mini mass exodus.
I wanted a taste of orthos and these gave me a good introduction.  I'll probably be keeping mine until I can afford to get some LCD2's. After hearing the LCD2, it's probably my end game.  In the mean time, I'll keep enjoying the HE400.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #4,690 of 6,017
We're in the same boat.. HE400 is a great stop along the journey to the LCD2.  Agreed, if I did not want to spend more money on headphones, the HE400 would be keepers. Luckily, or by plan, the LCD2 should be the last purchase.  Everything else is in place.
Quote:
It was actually coincidental that I'm selling mine at the same time as others. I bought the HD-650 about a month ago, after going back the HD-600s for a few months. I got an appetite for Orthos again (since I used to own the LCD-2s) - and I thought the HE-400 would hold me over.

But now I want to focus more on the 650 and go back to the LCD-2. So really, it's just me wanting to pour money into building a set up for myself. I'm currently ONLY using an e17 etc. I actually think the HE-400's are brilliant headphones, and IMO probably the best cans you can get for the price range. I'm just doubling what I'm willing to spend to upgrade my habit. If I wasn't going to spend so much on a rig + LCD-2, then I would definitely keep the HE-400s. Hands down. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #4,691 of 6,017
Quote:
Wow.. mini mass exodus.

You can still enjoy the HE-400s even when you have the LCD-2s! They're different enough in terms of sound signature to warrant keeping both as compliments. The LCD-2s don't really do too much better than the HE-400s to be really called an upgrade for me. That's more of LCD-3/HE-6 territory.

A lot of the people leaving the HE-400s have their own reasons, but I daresay a good part of it was due to the r3 fiasco. Hopefully this will make HiFiMAN step it up in the future (offering to replace the r3s for free is a very good start IMO). I'm just glad I got the r2s without any issues.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #4,692 of 6,017
Me too! My r2's are perfect.
Quote:
 I'm just glad I got the r2s without any issues.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #4,693 of 6,017
Ah, if only I wasn't keeping my HD-650. But that's good to hear that they sound different enough to keep both. I really do love the HE-400s. :)
Quote:
You can still enjoy the HE-400s even when you have the LCD-2s! They're different enough in terms of sound signature to warrant keeping both as compliments. The LCD-2s don't really do too much better than the HE-400s to be really called an upgrade for me. That's more of LCD-3/HE-6 territory.

A lot of the people leaving the HE-400s have their own reasons, but I daresay a good part of it was due to the r3 fiasco. Hopefully this will make HiFiMAN step it up in the future (offering to replace the r3s for free is a very good start IMO). I'm just glad I got the r2s without any issues.

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #4,694 of 6,017
I keep going back and forth with myself on whether I want to exchange them or just return them and save up for a Beyerdynamic T1. But listening again, these really do sound pretty good. I just don't want to deal with the hassle. But I think they are pretty good... I might just try to get some HD650s for a good price and try to sell my HD600s. I like the sound a lot but they're just a little too closely sounding to the HE400s for me to decide which one to listen to. Plus... I got a Lyr and I have a Bifrost on the way. I feel like the HD650s will shine with this combo, even more than the HD600s.

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #4,695 of 6,017
Quote:
I keep going back and forth with myself on whether I want to exchange them or just return them and save up for a Beyerdynamic T1. But listening again, these really do sound pretty good. I just don't want to deal with the hassle. But I think they are pretty good... I might just try to get some HD650s for a good price and try to sell my HD600s. I like the sound a lot but they're just a little too closely sounding to the HE400s for me to decide which one to listen to. Plus... I got a Lyr and I have a Bifrost on the way. I feel like the HD650s will shine with this combo, even more than the HD600s.

My one advice is you have to listen to the "fixed" version of HE400s before making any judgements. In my opinion it's a huge improvement from this defective rev3 treble. Hifiman already promised they will pay for the replacement shipping both ways, so it does not hurt at all for anyone with rev3 to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back