new love for the hd280
Mar 25, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #46 of 63
I did the Blu-Tack mod very similarly to what eight08 did. Some foam in the middle and tack around the rest of the "inner circle" of the HD280s.

More bass - I keep looking at my eq settings to verify I didn't turn up the bass by mistake!

Didn't seem to effect the mids or highs - although I think it must affect something in there since I clogged up a good deal of the "echo chamber." Less airy? I can't tell any difference.

I could put less in - but I think someone who did this a lot said "the more tack - the more bass" (the Nick Nolte avatar guy - I am forgetting his name right now).

Yoshimi and the Pink Robots by the Flaming Lips is incredible sounding now. (lots of bass in the recording I think).

Mar 25, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #47 of 63
Hmm, interesting. I didn't put in foam. The guy with the Nick Nolte avatar is Tyson. I just followed his guide and put about a 1.3mm layer of tak in the cups (both inner and outer circle). Definitely more midbass. I think I posted somethign earlier about the low bass disappearing or the soundstage going away after the mod, but that was probably cause I was still in the burn-in stage and my phones were still "growing". The low bass is still here (yay) and the soundstage didn't really change much. The mids went down a very little bit. But I think it sounds just a tad less airy now. Overall, I'm satisfied with the bass to the point where the EQ is no longer necessary. I <3 my 280!!
280smile.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #48 of 63
Definately an interesting mod especially since I'm considering getting a pair of 280s myself.

Some questions though: what's Blue-Tak and where can I find some?

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #50 of 63
Blue Thumb Tacks!!

Good one!

Although he only has 6 posts and probably doesn't know about the eggo mod (assuming that is what you mean. I THOUGHT it was a good joke.)

I sometimes wonder if a hole in the Senn HD280s would increase the bass like it does on the Eggos. Maybe I should go where no man has gone before. I suppose I could always close them off again.

I ordered blu tack from:
Glubie Glue
1600 Wabash Ave Suite A
Fort Wayne, IN 46803
Phone 260-423-4570 Fax: 260-423-9689

They have a website that I did not bookmark - sorry

Be sure to choose the cheaper shipping ($2 or something like that). Totals about $5

One guy said any office supply store - so try Staples or office depot or office max. Or try regular tack at any drug store. I don't know if there really is a difference.

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #51 of 63
why does everyone go looking for Blutac? Its just dyed poster tack, you can pick it up in your local office store for 99 cents.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #52 of 63
I ended up taking the foam out and leaving a moderate amount of blu-tack (at first I had more but thought it might be hindering air flow and thus sound.

So then I tried to minimize the tack but the bass also got minimised.

I took the foam out cause I think it toned down some of the high end sounds that I like in the hd280.

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #53 of 63
It still amazes me how people stretch things to the limit trying to get a good sound out of the HD280 (I'll refrain from stating my opinion on their sound, it's out there for search if anyone's curious).

If all else fails, break them in for at least ten thousand hours... then they'll open up...
rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
It still amazes me how people stretch things to the limit trying to get a good sound out of the HD280 (I'll refrain from stating my opinion on their sound, it's out there for search if anyone's curious).

you should see the eggo fans
280smile.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by donaldekelly
Blue Thumb Tacks!!

Good one!

Although he only has 6 posts and probably doesn't know about the eggo mod (assuming that is what you mean. I THOUGHT it was a good joke.)

Hah, no I wasn't referring to the mod where you poke a hole in the driver cup, I was just messing with him
icon10.gif

I still haven't tried that mod, actually... I need the isolation, and I am perfectly fine with the eggo bass without that mod (though I've done others).

Cyclone, Bluetac is superior than white sticky tac because the darker color absorbs more of the waves than the white (which reflects all waves), which decreases resonance and provides the best bass without affecting the highs. Using anything darker than blue will cause too much absorption and therefore muffled highs*.

[size=xx-small]*Sorry, I haven't gotten all the april 1 out of me yet... [/size]

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #57 of 63
lol i'm so glad that i found that asterisk at the end of your bit about waves. even with your reassurance, why am i still not sure whether you're joking or being truthful. boy am i an idiot =)

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
lol i'm so glad that i found that asterisk at the end of your bit about waves. even with your reassurance, why am i still not sure whether you're joking or being truthful. boy am i an idiot =)

lol, what I said is true for Light waves, not sound waves
biggrin.gif

However, another way of increasing bass is if you quickly move the speakers away from your ear while listening to the music. From the dopplar effect, the frequency will be perceived lower and seem like there is more bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, that's enough threadjacking for tonight...Sooooo, how 'bout them 280s... Does the thickness of the bluetac actually affect the change in sound? If it does, is it just due to the decrease in air volume inside the cup, or is there something else?

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Anyway, that's enough threadjacking for tonight...Sooooo, how 'bout them 280s... Does the thickness of the bluetac actually affect the change in sound? If it does, is it just due to the decrease in air volume inside the cup, or is there something else?

im just guessing, but i think it has to do with resonance (and the limiting of it). to be honest, with only the bluetack installed, the difference in bass response to me was minimal. to some it was drastic, and im sure it has everything to do with the amount they used. i used less than half a pack (just enough to cover the plastic - which is probably why i didnt hear a huge difference. it was only until i added that piece of foam did things get noticably different. on another note, i tried the same blutack+foam on my a700 - it was horrible, bass completely dissapeared. (but removing the stock foam was pretty amazing!)

Apr 5, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm

Well low freq waves penatrate better than high freq waves so the thicker the tack the more bassy/muddy(if you have too much on) your cans will be.

ps. Jmmmm i almost believed your crock wave theory, and then my public education kicked in and said..."wait a minute...thats for light, not sound..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back