New m50's less bass???????!?!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!?
Apr 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

WakiDabeast

500+ Head-Fier
so i just ordered my m50's coiled and they came last week and i love them but it's bass anemic. I have broke them in for about 14 hours with just white noise, heavy drums, and track overlaps (like 50 songs overlapped) and another like 30 with normal listening thanks to some traveling, and still bass anemic. I changed the eq of my songs for more 65 hz and 125 hz, and i replaced the tape on the inside which was masking tape and i put microfoam tape instead. That helped a little, but why are my m50's so bass anemic is it a new batch or something, I'm very paranoid about it and i don't think I can return it there already moded XD.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 20
It sounds like you're just a basshead.  How many db did you equalize your bass up?  If it isn't even enough bass after you put like +10db worth of bass, then you probably need to look at another headphone.

Are you after the punch in your headphone?  At its default, the M50 has plenty of bass, but it's not the punchy type of bass-- it's just a well structured bass that's very present.  It can give you a little punch on the right types of recordings with drums, but if you're looking for the kind of headphone that will give you that punch, you're going to have to find a headphone with different sound signature.  If you're looking for the type of punch you get at a live concert with huge subwoofers galore, you might as well not be looking into headphones (not to say some headphones still can't give a great punch)

*Just as a note, portable amps with their own DACs like the E7 go a ways in tightening the bass up and providing some more punch, but it won't be as big a difference as getting a headphone that's actually designed to do so in the first place*

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
so i just ordered my m50's coiled and they came last week and i love them but it's bass anemic. I have broke them in for about 14 hours with just white noise, heavy drums, and track overlaps (like 50 songs overlapped) and another like 30 with normal listening thanks to some traveling, and still bass anemic. I changed the eq of my songs for more 65 hz and 125 hz, and i replaced the tape on the inside which was masking tape and i put microfoam tape instead. That helped a little, but why are my m50's so bass anemic is it a new batch or something, I'm very paranoid about it and i don't think I can return it there already moded XD.

The M50s that I bought ( white box) from The Guitar Center was not bass heavy also while people talk about the M50s with a lot of bass.
I am not a bass head but my first impression was like yours.

They are still a good pair of entry level cans anyway. I have them returned not because the bass issue but 'cause my Shure SRH 440 are more neutral than the M50s and I like to listen to my music without EQ and without tone control.  

It could be there is some changes in the new version with the white box batch. There is nothing wrong with yours M50s as long as you bought them from an authorized dealer.

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 20
E7 has its own hardware bass boost, which is usually better than software eq bass boost.  I'm not sure whether you'll like it or not if you find yourself not finding enough bass from software eq.  That 100 dollars might be better well spent in getting a new pair of headphones.

And they are a bit bass heavy as far as quantity goes, but if you're looking for the type of quality that provides very authoritative, tight, impactful and punchy bass, the M50 is not the headphone to do it.  Its bass is a bit wobbly if anything, but does tighten a bit from external dac/amp.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 20
Then you might get surprised from some other headphones out there!  They make M50 sound like a fart cannon (exaggeration)  But yeah if you have the opportunity to buy an E7 for them and return for full price if you don't like it, that's the logical first step.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Then you might get surprised from some other headphones out there!  They make M50 sound like a fart cannon (exaggeration)  But yeah if you have the opportunity to buy an E7 for them and return for full price if you don't like it, that's the logical first step.

Now you are using audiophile terminology....but the m50s are far from being a fart cannon .
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 20
From what I've read the M50's that come in a blue box have a little bit more bass and the M50's that come in a white box have a more balanced sound. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Are you after the punch in your headphone?  At its default, the M50 has plenty of bass, but it's not the punchy type of bass-- it's just a well structured bass that's very present.  It can give you a little punch on the right types of recordings with drums, but if you're looking for the kind of headphone that will give you that punch, you're going to have to find a headphone with different sound signature.  If you're looking for the type of punch you get at a live concert with huge subwoofers galore, you might as well not be looking into headphones (not to say some headphones still can't give a great punch)

This

Users who are viewing this thread

Back