NEW: Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3
Sep 15, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #16 of 78
Matrix Audio released today a public firmware update for the X-SABRE 3. You can update the firmware going into settings/firmware in your X-SABRE 3. Then check if the bugs reported by me were fixed. Thanks!!

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #19 of 78
It is great sounding dac. It looks awesome and is very well designed.
Is very detailed and neutral. I personally find it a bit forward sounding in the midrange. But that is not a a bad or good thing.
It all depends on your system and personal preferences.

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #21 of 78
To me it sounds just right. Very transparent and revealing. It’s a keeper for me!!

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #24 of 78
I just wish the price can be less. Looking at the competition, $2000 would be a better price point, in my opinion, for a 9038 chip dac.

What would be the competition? I don’t see anything from any other manufacturer that comes close to the X-SABRE 3 performance/features at this price or even higher. At least no one that is Roon Ready which is my main use.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #25 of 78
What would be the competition? I don’t see anything from any other manufacturer that comes close to the X-SABRE 3 performance/features at this price or even higher. At least no one that is Roon Ready which is my main use.
Not that familiar with streamer as I never use one. I was only referring to the DAC only. A lot of competition from DAC standpoint.

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #26 of 78
If you only need a DAC then get a Topping D90SE which I also own. The X-SABRE 3 is in another league regarding features and capabilities!!

Sep 19, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #29 of 78
OK, that puts things into perspective: if the matrix is comparable to the Topping (or even slightly better) I’ll take it off my list.
Did I say anywhere that the X-SABRE 3 and D90SE are comparable? The OP was asking for a DAC only solution with ESS 9038 Pro DAC and both, the X-SABRE 3 and D90SE have 9038 Pro. That is all. In terms of SQ, functions and performance, the Topping D90SE is not even close to the X-SABRE 3. This is coming from somebody who owns both. For anybody not needing the streaming capabilities of the X-SABRE 3, then get the X-SABRE Pro MQA which can be found for $1999 every where.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back