New member advise on replace Shure 535 to CampfireAudio?
Mar 1, 2019 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Shaggy8675

New Head-Fier
Hello all, and thanks for having me.

I've been using Shure in ears for a very long time. But now my left 535 Limited has broke. So I'm looking for a new pair. I've ben looking into the Campfire Audio line up, both the Orion and the Polaris.

Who has any advise or experience with CA to replace the Shure's? Is it worth it? Mostly listening to 80's music, pop/rock, some classical/instrumental.

Were I live Campfire isn't available a lot so reviews/comparisons and experiences are limited if any.
Who has some wise words to say.

Thanks.

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi:)
I have been in the exact same place as you not so long ago.

Shure has a very specific house sound and if you loved your 535 I can assure you of one thing, you will adore the se846 if you can afford the price tag on those babies:)
The fit is somewhat even better to me despite them being a bit bigger and the sound is outsdanding if you know how to EQ correctly.

I'm having a bit of trouble with people listening to music equalized flat since it is absolutely not how it is intended to sound by the artists but how it is made to play without distortion on any given device.
live shows are fun, dynamic and powerfull that is to me how music should be played.

That said I have bought the Campfire Vega and JH Audio 16V2 pro customs too to compare to the se846 when my se535 failed.
The jh16v2 are in a league of their own but to me the se846 are way better than the Vega.
They can handle so much and so well that it is very impressive. People saying otherwise either have different tastes and I can dig that or just don't know how to properly drive and equalize their music to make the earpieces sound like beasts.
The Vega have a manufactured drop in the middle section of the spectrum that simply cannot be overcome even with the best equalization. They are to me way less fun than the se846 though the bass response is just as great.
I'm a bass head myself but when you love rock and metal the rest of the spectrum counts as well and they simply can't match the se846.

Like I said the JH customs are in a league of their own. They're just as powerfull and dynamic but are more natural sounding with less emphasis yet a very nice representation of the middle section of the spectrum.
Better seperation is also very apparent when plugging them to the Chord Mojo compared to the se846.

I can't speak of the Orion and Polaris since their bass presentation is too light for the bass head I am but one thing I know is that when you need bass even if you're not a proper bass head your iems better be able to produce them.

So overall if I had an advice to give you I would go with the se846 since you are already familiar with the shure signature, you can not be disappointed there. Now I understand that campfire also has the andromeda that is kind of a do it all but do it outstandingly good IEM so you might as well take a look there.

Cheers,
Jordan.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks Jordan,

Yes, I do like the 846, but they are almost double the price of the Polaris, so not really in the same financial spectrum :wink: I've always enjoyed Shure, but since the housing of the 535 broke and Shure gave no forthcoming reply I am kinda over it. I payed good money, but when you are just out of warranty they tell you to stuff it...

So, that's why I'm looking for something else. Bulletproof and good audio, but it's hard to find a good combination of that it seems :wink:

Mar 2, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 5
Shure 846s will have rolled off highs that you won't likely find on Campfire IEMs. Bass on the 846 was great, but could never get the treble right using stock or DIY filters. I'd say take a look at the reviews of the Campfire in your price range and those descriptions should help you decide on the sound signature that works best for you. And while likely out of your price range, there is a good reason that the term "special" is so often used with the Andromedas. Superb sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back