New Member Introductions thread
Feb 13, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #15,331 of 15,587
First post here too after lurking in the background and enjoying all the advice on the forums.

My main hifi setup is Hegel based (H390) with Icon Audio (HP8 MKII Signature) providing the headphone amplification. Primary cans are HD800S. So not state of the art but not terrible either. I’m certainly pleased with the performance it provides.

Now, apparently I’m a bone fide Schiithead having finally managed to secure a Schiit stack for the bedroom. Intention was to have a bit of the main system performance in a convenient miniature package.

The newly acquired Schiit stack comprises Modi2 MB, Loki Mini+, Vali2++. Streaming is via a rpi4 runnings lms 8.1 with Squeezelite on the same box. I picked up a pair of HD650 from ebay as I like the Senn sound and swapping the 800’s between rooms was a bit of a pain. Current tube on the Vali is stock and having fun reading all of the suggested alternatives here.

I guess my key point to all of the above ramblings is - flippin ‘eck the Schiit stack is good. I’m extremely impressed with the audio performance from the little boxes. Performance per pound (dollar?) is exceptional. The price of the stack, cables, little biddy rack and hd650’s combined is about the same as I spent on the phono cartridge on my turntable. LMS plus plugins means I can stream the same Qobus playlists to the Schiitstack as I can to the main rig... all controlled by an app on my mobile.

No doubt I’ll need to scratch the tube rolling itch at some point but for now I’m just enjoying the music.

Ade.

Feb 15, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #15,334 of 15,587
It should have been my first post, but so it goes. I have been into "hi-fi" since I was a teenager, but honestly, all of my systems have squarely been in the mid-fi category. My goal is to eventually turn my office system into a true hi-fi system...on a budget.

Current office system
IMG_8408.jpg
IMG_8411.jpg

But the real reason why I am here is I want to get back into headphones. Specifically for business travel. I know I can do better than my current iPhone + Airpod set up. I got to demo real headphones and a Mojo2 the other day and was BLOWN away.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #15,335 of 15,587
I've been into headphone audio for a while but after going through a neutral phase which lasted a few years I realized my true calling was finding the FATTEST clean bass in the universe. I like planars/estats (with a bass boost of course).
Nice to meet everyone.

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #15,337 of 15,587
Hi! First post of a new member, but old hifi fan from'80s. I had tube gears as Audio Innovations 500, Klimo Merlin/Beltaine, Audio Note Conqueror and now ss Pass Labs. I recently became interested in headphones&DAP.
I tried Geshelli Archel pro 2.5 and Lake People G93 with Sundara and Massdrop Sennheiser 6xx and now a Grado GS1000e that I like very much. Dap A&K sr25 with JH Angie II (very nice!).
Grettings to everyone!
Marcello from Italy

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #15,338 of 15,587
Another new member's first post. I've been a long-time lurker on head-fi and have greatly appreciated the knowledge and experience shared here! I've been involved in high-end audio for a couple decades and I believe it's one of the best hobbies out there. Greetings from Michigan!

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #15,341 of 15,587
Hello everyone, first post from me! I probably inherited the hifi addiction from my father who has been building his own loudspeakers and amps since I can think back. So, that topic was always around me, it hit me really hard only a few years ago though. Since then there were a lot of investments in rather affordable gear which quickly became not good enough anymore. Currently I own Sennheiser HD 650, Oppo PM3, Focal Elear, Audeze LCD-2C, Denon AH-D9200 and a bunch of IEMs (which I only use for practical reasons like travelling though) with a Feliks Audio Elise. I do have a nice stereo setup as well (Wharfedale Lintons, Musical Fidelity M5Si, Willsenton R300), but I definitely prefer headphones.

Next investment is very soon going to be a ZMF Atrium Open, which I probably have to blame this forum for :wink:

Cheers,
Michael from Hamburg, Germany

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #15,342 of 15,587
Hi,

Not really a new member but there did not seem to be a way of reactivating my username due to some circular instructions.

I'm happy to be back though. My gear is a couple of HPs (Sundara and Meze 99 Classic), a couple of hybrid tube amps (Lyr 3 and Project Ember) and some Topping stuff.

This site has taught me so much and I hope to contribute in return.

Cheers,
Graeme

Feb 17, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #15,343 of 15,587
Hello - new member here out of Illinois, currently assembling a dedicated headphone listening station centered on a recently acquired Conrad Johnson HVA1. Looking forward to learning what I can from the extensive forums and gear reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back