New Member Introductions thread
Feb 18, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #15,349 of 15,590
Hello, Head-Fi people. This is a pretty amazing place. I've already benefited tremendously from just reading here. I think I might want to join the conversation at some point, so I figured it was time to create an account. I love that the Internet still has communities like this!

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #15,355 of 15,590
Hello!!! Im new here and I’m a newbie in the audio world but i love it and so far I’ve tried to buy second hand on tight budget my things, i own a FIIO BTR3, a apple lightning to 3.5 dongle, and i use a behringer mixer to “boost” the sound and as headphones, i own some kz zsn pro x, some marley voyage, a set of akg k450, one more triple driver on ear and a set of philips SHP9500,they are my love and i take care of them as well as i use them dearly

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #15,357 of 15,590
Bonjour from Paris, France !

My name is Marc, and I'm a music lover, learning guitar at the moment, vinyl addict loving my LP 12, and more and more now into the digital world.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #15,358 of 15,590
Hi all. On-again, off-again guy who had an account when Jude was the main Mod and responded personally to everything, circa 2004. Old account is locked up, so starting fresh.

Currently getting a skeleton rig together, but have Grado 80's, Massdrop 6xx, Schiit Hel2E and Modius for listening through Apple subscription. Also either putting together/refurbishing my old Carver C-4000/M-1.0T rig, or getting into Schiit Kara, and Vidar. Will also rehab my original Polk 10B's for when the furniture needs to vibrate 2 houses down...

Looking forward to any local meets too. Nice to be back.

Feb 23, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #15,359 of 15,590
First post here too after lurking in the background and enjoying all the advice on the forums.

My main hifi setup is Hegel based (H390) with Icon Audio (HP8 MKII Signature) providing the headphone amplification. Primary cans are HD800S. So not state of the art but not terrible either. I’m certainly pleased with the performance it provides.

Now, apparently I’m a bone fide Schiithead having finally managed to secure a Schiit stack for the bedroom. Intention was to have a bit of the main system performance in a convenient miniature package.

The newly acquired Schiit stack comprises Modi2 MB, Loki Mini+, Vali2++. Streaming is via a rpi4 runnings lms 8.1 with Squeezelite on the same box. I picked up a pair of HD650 from ebay as I like the Senn sound and swapping the 800’s between rooms was a bit of a pain. Current tube on the Vali is stock and having fun reading all of the suggested alternatives here.

I guess my key point to all of the above ramblings is - flippin ‘eck the Schiit stack is good. I’m extremely impressed with the audio performance from the little boxes. Performance per pound (dollar?) is exceptional. The price of the stack, cables, little biddy rack and hd650’s combined is about the same as I spent on the phono cartridge on my turntable. LMS plus plugins means I can stream the same Qobus playlists to the Schiitstack as I can to the main rig... all controlled by an app on my mobile.

No doubt I’ll need to scratch the tube rolling itch at some point but for now I’m just enjoying the music.

Ade.
Ok, so tube rolling itch lasted about a week.

Picked up an untested and unused (allegedly) JAN 5670W valve on ebay for £5

Thought it was worth a gamble for that sort of money and wanted a backup for the (very good sounding) stock tube.

Well, turned up quick, well wrapped and works a treat. Does it sound better than the stock tube? Can't tell yet but certainly no worse so I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back