[New] Philips Fidelio X1
Jul 27, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #5,656 of 5,962
  Because I'm 100% sure I'll make it worse than it already is. Plus I don't have the tools to fix it (no soldering iron).

The second headset is for a backup. I work in an office and I need another pair ASAP while I wait for these to come back, may as well look at upgrading (if there is even such a thing for me).

You could just buy another X1. $200 on Amazon right now, if you're in the States that is
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #5,659 of 5,962
They're wildly different headphones. The X1's are heavily bassy, the 600's are closer to neutral. Which one you like depends pretty much solely upon whether you like bass or detail. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #5,661 of 5,962
  The X1's are heavily bassy

Don`t agree at all. With better cable and good matching source gear X1 can be quite close to neutral sound signature.
Yes, it still has littlebit more bass than analytical cans but in a good way - it makes sound natural and never overpowers other frequencies or bleeds into mids.

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #5,662 of 5,962
  how does the x1 compare to the hd 600? and the x2

I don't have the X2 so can't provide an opinion on that. But between the HD600 and X1 on my equipment (just check my profile to see what I'm running), I prefer the HD600 for most things, but like to switch to the X1 sometimes. As @iwing88 mentioned above, it's a little more fun due to the bass signature, but on balance, I prefer the HD600. The sound stage on the X1 is better, but I find the HD600 does a little better with mids and treble. Both are super capable headphones and the X1 is still a pretty good all-arounder for less money. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #5,663 of 5,962
  Don`t agree at all. With better cable and good matching source gear X1 can be quite close to neutral sound signature.
Yes, it still has littlebit more bass than analytical cans but in a good way - it makes sound natural and never overpowers other frequencies or bleeds into mids.

I don't mean to be "that guy" but just look at the response curves. The X1 is not only bassy, but it's notoriously bassy, intentionally bassy, and praised for being bassy. No, it is not neutral and will not be neutral unless you EQ it. Tyll nailed it in his review:

Bassheads will melt in their own pool of love for the X1; it's a great basshead can.

Most big-bass headphones have problems with their coloration. Add a bunch of bass, and the stuff in the mid-range often suffers from lack of attention. Even the V-Moda M-100---a basshead can I really like---has dips and peaks in its frequency response that let some things get lost in translation. Most basshead cans are sealed, which allows designers to get good extension into the low frequencies, but sealed cans sound closed-in and usually lack the airy, spacious sound of open headphones. The Philips Fidelio X1 doesn't seem to suffer from these problems.

I never said it was BAD or overpowering, just that it's a very bassy headphone. Especially if you stack it against the rather sterile HD600's which the other poster was asking about. 

Keep in mind, I owned both the X1 and the HD600, take a look at my sig to see which I kept. :p

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #5,665 of 5,962

I don't mean to be "that guy" but just look at the response curves. The X1 is not only bassy, but it's notoriously bassy, intentionally bassy, and praised for being bassy. No, it is not neutral and will not be neutral unless you EQ it. Tyll nailed it in his review:

Bassheads will melt in their own pool of love for the X1; it's a great basshead can.

Most big-bass headphones have problems with their coloration. Add a bunch of bass, and the stuff in the mid-range often suffers from lack of attention. Even the V-Moda M-100---a basshead can I really like---has dips and peaks in its frequency response that let some things get lost in translation. Most basshead cans are sealed, which allows designers to get good extension into the low frequencies, but sealed cans sound closed-in and usually lack the airy, spacious sound of open headphones. The Philips Fidelio X1 doesn't seem to suffer from these problems.

I never said it was BAD or overpowering, just that it's a very bassy headphone. Especially if you stack it against the rather sterile HD600's which the other poster was asking about. 

Keep in mind, I owned both the X1 and the HD600, take a look at my sig to see which I kept. :p

Read again, slowly...
Quote:
With better cable and good matching source gear X1 can be quite close to neutral sound signature.

Tyll:
Add that to the high resistance of the stock cable and a few Ohms of output impedance from the amp and you end up with a slightly soft sub-bass attack.

(Remember to replace that cable and get a low output impedance amplifier for best results.)

And if You add tubes (take it as EQ if You wish) with different sound signatures, You can get X1 quite close to neutral signature.

If You remove word very in front of bassy, then I can take Your opinion but otherwise they are NOT VERY bassy headphones.
Response graphs do not always show what HP actually sounds. Even tyll has said it in X2 review.

If You think X1 is VERY bassy HP, then You haven`t heard one
rolleyes.gif

JMSO

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #5,666 of 5,962
  Tyll:

If You remove word very in front of bassy, then I can take Your opinion but otherwise they are NOT VERY bassy headphones.
Response graphs do not always show what HP actually sounds. Even tyll has said it in X2 review.

If You think X1 is VERY bassy HP, then You haven`t heard one
rolleyes.gif

JMSO

Siiiiigh. 

Two things. One is that Tyll was referring to SUB-BASS when he said the soft attack. Sub-bass. If you are familiar with what that means, then you probably would know why pointing that quote out didn't get you anywhere. A soft sub-bass attack has zip zero nothin' nada to do with it sounding "neutral". 

Two is that, no duh, they're not friggin' Beats or JVC Hammers. Look at my collection, they're not even the bassiest I own. But for an open-back headphone they are indeed very bassy. I'd argue they're the bassiest open-backs I've heard (and no, before you say it, Audeze doesn't trump them because Audeze is about deep extension rather than lots of quantity and I owned a set of particularly bass-heavy LCD-2 pre-fazors). I've listened to Sennheisers, Beyers, Audeze, HiFimans, and the X1s have a bassier attack than any of what I've heard. There's a BIG hump in the low end with these things considering they're open back. 

If you're going to quibble over the word "very" here then you're just splitting hairs to be contrarian and I guess this whole discussion is moot, in which case... all right. I'll happily consider this the end of it.

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #5,667 of 5,962
You just don`t get my point and argue for arguing. Don`t want to be part of this. If You don`t get what I was trying to say then it`s Your problem.

Have a nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back